Status: Don't read after dark... That's when they get you

Animatronic Eyes

Curiosity

"Seriously?" Jack demanded, stuffing half his snadwich into his mouth.

I sighed and nodded.

"I really don't want to... But what if... I've just been ridiculous about the whole thing? Overreactive childhood imagination that still haunts me, maybe I just need to prove myself wrong." I offered, but Jack wasn't buying it, and honestly, neither was I.

"Jeez... I feel sorry for you. You've been like, horrified about that place since what?" He counted on his fingers and stopped "since I met you."

I laughed without humor. "I know. Which is why... I just don't want this."

"Didn't Mrs. Jacobson have any other jobs?"

I shook my head. "They were all taken."

"Well then, obviously there's something wrong with the place then if no one else wanted to do it."

I glared at him.

"Sorry." He apologized quickly.

I nodded.

"Well, can your mom pull some strings? She's on the school board."

I sighed. "I don't want to ask that of her and be the pet, the perfect kid. Plus, my mom wouldn't be thrilled about it, nor do I think she'd actually do it."

Truth be told, I was dreading the job more than I was telling Jack. He knew how much I hated it all, but without any real reason to. I didn't really need one, though. He disliked them too, but not on the same level.

"What if... I came too? It'd make it go faster, and you'd have someone around that you knew."

"Could you do that?" I wondered.

He shrugged and polished off his sandwich. "Who knows? It's not like Mrs. Jacobson would find out, anyways."

I thought about it for a moment or two, then nodded. "Ok, I'll text you when I get more details, I'd better get to history."

Jack looked up at the clock on the wall "Oh, shit. Time flies, we're gonna be late."

"Tempus Fugit." I responded thoughtfully, but Jack stared at me with a blank look.

"It means time flies." I explained, and he nodded.

We stood together and cleared our shared table and went our seperate ways.

Throughout History, my mind wandered. I was looking out the window, the green leaves on the trees outside shifting slightly in the breeze, and the sun made everything sparkle.

Jack was right. Rather I wanted to agree with it or not, he had a point. There was obviously a reason no one else wanted that job. Could it just be coinicidence? Or that they didn't want to be seen working at a kids party joint? That could be... But what if it was for another reason?

When I got home after school, I grabbed a bottle of water and an apple from the kitchen on my way upstairs to my room. I closed the door behind me, opened my window to let in the warm air, started up my laptop while I changed from my khaki school slacks into a pair of denim shorts, then I sat with my legs crossed on my bed and opened Internet Explorer.

Carefully typing in Freddy Fazbear's Pizza into the search engine and patiently waited for the page to load.