The Home

Five

Rollin blinked open his eyes before he shut them again with a grumble. Ugh… those damn lights! He rubbed his eyes. He wasn't sure when he fell asleep, but he was sure the 'meeting' room had a couch and it was the best damn invitation the wolf ever received. He absentmindedly stood up from the stool to leave the room, only to stop when someone’s feet hit the ground for the third time.

Furrowing his brows, Rollin paused and breathed in. The werewolf tensed; one scent in particular was definitely new. A frustrated sound pulled the wolf's attention back to the female therapist, his shoulders relaxing. Her scent was what separated her from the others, because she was the only human. Rollin rubbed the tension out of his neck, and couldn't help but grin at the sight. He stood and watched the struggle for a bit before deciding to come to the rescue. He placed his hand on Abby's hip and lightly pushed her out of the way. Rollin reached up and easily grabbed the box she was reaching for and placed it on the counter.

"Wake me up when it's time to ask, 'how do you feel about that?'" he mocked with a smile and stepped back.

Gasping at the sudden contact, Abby turned to Rollin. Before she could even say 'thank you', he was retreating, pulling warmth with him as he moved away. The smile on his face she could only describe as wolfish, filled with mischief that mirrored the snark in his words and, maybe, a bit of playful charm. She'd have to keep her eye on that one.

"Should I brew you a cup?" she asked before he stepped too far away. "Perhaps something calming, and you could forgo the mid-day nap?

"Forgo?" Rollin repeated. It wasn't a word he heard on a daily basis so he shrugged. He picked at his lip, thinking it over. Did he want a cup of tea or to fall asleep on a nice comfy couch? He may have been a wild animal for a few good years, but he remembered some manners — although not enough to accept her offer. "That's so very kind of you, Miss Abby," he said, his brown eyes shining, "but I'm gonna have to pass." With a small nod at her, he turned and left the room.

That went well, Abby thought morosely. She was sure Rollin's mood would've improved with a little food - she'd hoped that would be true for all the residents - but she'd been wrong.

Before plucking a teabag from the box, she quickly lit the burner under the teapot, and poured enough honey to cover the bottom of her mug. While the water boiled, she decided she'd take a moment to brush up her notes before the group session resumed. It seemed this group had its fill of short tempers, big egos, and excessive baggage, but of course that was to be expected. Still, she found herself woefully unprepared.

She had spent a lot of time learning about what they were (and how to control/contain them, if need be), but none of her reading could have prepared her for the actual face-to-face experience. It seemed that keeping them safe (from themselves and each other) was the least of her woes. It seemed, she thought, it would be much easier to deal with their 'monster' flaws than their human ones.

-----------------


Alex stood watching everyone interact with mild interest. He wasn't used to the lack of attention and it was a little confusing. He ambled around the room slowly, investigating everyone, their smells and habits. Eventually he walked up to Marina and smiled.

"What brings you here?"

Marina smiled up at the handsome guy, surprised a man had actually walked up to her and started a decent conversation no less. She was used to everyone being taken in by her, but she already knew most residents there - at least the ones she was supposed to interact with - yet it was the first time she had actually seen that guy.

"Well, you know...a little bit of this and a little bit of that," she said with no care in the world before she got a bit serious. "Seems like I'm bad news," she stated before going back to her carefree attitude, "not like everyone else here isn't, but oh well..." She didn't want to give too much information away. Even though she could always read his mind, she figured things wouldn't be as fun if she did. Instead she asked, "And you? What brought you here?

Alex smiled slightly and heaved a deep, dramatic sigh. "Oh, you know, in a battle of wills, alcohol always wins." He waved his hand airily. "You don't seem like bad news to me. I'm sure we'll get along just fine."

He smiled charmingly and glanced around the room again, adjusting to everyone's presence. He was probably the least interesting person here, he realized as he watched everyone bustle about. A slight frown tugged at his lips as he wondered how to fix such a poor situation.

"An alcoholic, huh? I wonder how this institution will help all of us..." The mind-reader hadn't thought of that till now, but seeing so many different kinds of beings there and problems, it had to be tough. "Anyway, don't say later on that I didn't warn you,” she reminded Alex, "I really am bad news."

Marina had this feeling that someone was watching her, but she didn't want to turn her head and look. She was sure it was vampire woman who was talking to her before. She tried to keep herself calm as she was getting to know Alex.

The vampiress was staring daggers at Marina's back while listening to her conversation with that thing. She was displeased with the situation at hand but she could investigate the mind-reader with her good hearing. Plus she could always read the mind of everyone else.

Alex chuckled. "I mean, what's more bad news than a mythological creature said to bring bad luck wherever they go? I suppose in the end we'll be bad news together."

He glanced over at the vampire he'd spoken to earlier and called to her. "Hey, come join our club of doom and despair. I suppose it can't get much worse?"

"Who knows... maybe we can form a team, huh?" Marina chuckled and gave him a relaxed smile. That would be fun, she thought before she glanced over at a vampire she hadn't met yet.
♠ ♠ ♠

This chapter was written by the authors listed below:
Brittt writing as Khloe
Lady.V. writing as Marina Austin
Audrey T writing as Abigail Peston
zuccarello writing as Lana Bristow
champion writing as Alexander Aita
She Said Poptarts writing as Rollin "RJ" West
Lady.V. writing as Mariaxielle ''Rogue'' Hartsong

Special thanks to:
exploding boy. and Mr. Darcy for editing
She Said Poptarts for the banner and layout