Finally Found

Wednesday August 13, 2014

I felt the vehicle stop and knew it was time for the "first day" I guess it would be. My expectations weren't high, I just wanted to focus on what my reputation would be and hoped I might stand out in some way. Yeah, you read that right, not a typo. I've spent the past 2 years in a church that hardly ever acknowledged my existence and I was hoping I wouldn't have to go through that again. I felt an air of confidence in my appearance since I was wearing my favorite outfit, a green dress with a black... shawl I guess it would be? I'm not sure what the technical name is for it but it's similar to a jacket but it's short sleeved and knit, and paired it with black heels.
My hair flipped to one side and black eyeliner made me look a bit more like a teenager, so I can avoid the "little girl" status I feel like I had at my last church. I was always the youngest in the youth group, the minimum age started as 7th then the next year they added a middle section so any new middle schoolers would go there and the 8th graders there before that would stay in the high school section. I guess I never technically was a ninth grader there, I left a couple weeks before school started. After that, I spent a week in Florida for the first time in four years, thus seeing my best friend ever for the first time since we were ten and finding out we had more in common than I thought we would. We didn't really talk for a year before I came down, there were no fights and we didn't grow apart, we just didn't call each other but we both knew the friendship was still there. It will always be there.
My family and I entered the doors to the fellowship hall and walked to the line after chatting with the pastor for a few minutes. I suddenly felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned around to see two smiling faces.
"Hi, we were wondering if you wanted to join us at our table once you get your food." one said. Valerie, my older sister, and I accepted immediately. They went back to a table in the corner of the room.
"I'm not sure if I'll go, I'm probably just going to sit wherever you're sitting." Valerie said to our mom. She's a bit of an introvert around teenagers since our last church, where she went through a lot more than me.