Stalked

Chapter 11

"It's been decided." Nielsen doesn't once look up at Theo as he writes down his notes. "Paul will be your new partner."

Before Theo can question it, Nielsen holds his hand up.

"Don't start. He is good at his job, I truly believe that he'll be good at this too. Any objections, Theo?"

"No, Nielsen." Theo says calmly and leaves the office. He takes a seat at his desk, folding his arms behind his head. Theo shudders at the thought of working with him. Before Theo became detective he worked with Paul. He was unprofessional, cracked jokes at the most inappropriate time and made the people that we were trying to protect feel uncomfortable. He thinks he's too good at his job. Ass.

"We've just had a call." Nielsen rushes from his office. "Get down to loris street now. There's been a murder. Get Paul. Go!" He commands Theo.

---

As Amy works on her photographs, she is startled when her door swings open.

"George.." She says, not expecting him.

"Amy. You still want that job?" He asks. Amy takes a deep breath.

"Ye.. Yes.. Do I have it?" She asks.

"No not yet. But if you still want it, I need you to prove it. There's been a crime down on loris street. Big mess apparently. I need you to go down there and take as many photos as you can. And as close as you can get. Got it?" He asks.

Uncertain as to what she'll be taking photos off, she had to ask.

"Ok but.." Before she finishes he leaves.

"Crap.." She mutters. She grabs her camera bag, several lenses and her car keys.

"If you want this job you have to be quicker than that Amy!" George yells from the hall.

Already out of breath Amy starts the engine of her car. Arriving there, she can't get farther down the street as its blocked off with police tape. She gets out her car and starts taking pictures. She finds a lane to her right, thinking it'll lead her closer she runs toward it. She sees the television crew, news crew, helicopters flying over. Damn..I wish I could fly a helicopter. As she gets closer, trying to avoid being seen by the police, she sees red on the road as she looks in her camera lens. Lowering the camera, she stares. Not far from her, there is a body covered on the road. Red blood trails down the road. She leans back on the wall, not sure if she can go through with it.

"You can do this.." She tells herself. She then lifts her camera, but before clicking the button she gets pulled to the side.

"Hey!" She snaps. Looking up at the man who pulled Her away, it's Theo. He pulls her arm, leading her to the lane so no one will see.

"What do you think you're doing?" He asks, letting go of her arm. Her back is pressed up against the wall, and Theo isn't leaving much space between them.

"My job!" She snaps back.

"You're not allowed here. No photographers are allowed here!" He says frustratedly.

"Well I was told to.."

"I don't care if you were told to. There's a dead body lying out there on the street. Have some respect!" He raises his voice. Seeing her look down as if he's just told off a child, he wishes he didn't shout. She looks up at him, her bright blue green eyes looking into his, makes it hard for him to say no. Why does this keep happening? He thinks. Why can't I say no to this girl? But then reality hits him, it's his job to investigate this and keep people away from the scene and that's what he'll do.

"You need to leave." He says abruptly, stepping back.

"No, I'm not leaving. I have to do this, if I don't.."

"No you don't!" Theo interrupts. "It's pathetic, creeping around snapping photos of someone's loved one lying out there! Get a real job!" He snaps, and points down towards the lane motioning for her to leave. He has left her flabbergasted. The look in her face leaves Theo with a rush of guilt run all over him. Please don't cry Amy, he thinks.

Not moving, Amy glares at him. If she doesn't do this, she won't get the job. But he won't listen, he doesn't care. Why would be care. She walks down the lane and Theo follows her.

"I don't need you walking me to my car, I'll get there on my own." She snaps. She storms off as Theo watches. Maybe he was a bit harsh, he thinks. But Paul has been on his back since they got there.

"Where were you? Who's the girl?" Paul asks as Theo walks back to the scene.

"No one." Theo says.

---

Ugh. Who the hell does he think he is?! Amy is full of rage. Thinking that she only got one picture, she starts to panic. That's it.. All over. I'm going to be stuck in this job for the rest of my life.

"You didn't get any pictures?" George snaps.

"No. I was stopped.."

"Well.. If you were really into this new job like you said you were you would have found a way around it, Amy."

"Hey I've never done anything like this before. You didn't give me any training on it. What was I supposed to do? Get myself arrested?" She snaps back. The nerve of him, she thinks.

"Sorry Amy but that was your only chance."

She looks down. She can feel the tears coming. Not wanting George to see, she turns and leaves his office.

Out on her date with Gavin hours later, he takes her to a restaurant. In the cab, he's being too touchy with her. Sitting his hand on her bare leg, Amy squirms and pushes his hand off.

"Are you alright?" He asks as he takes a bite of salad. "You've been quiet."

"Yeah I just had a bad day at work, that's all.." Amy picks at her salad, picking out the cucumber.

"Why don't you tell me what happened?" He asks.

"Ugh this stupid cop..he compromised my new job. I didn't get it because of him! I've wanted this job for so long.. And.. Then he shows up and sends me away!"

"What job?" He asks.

"The New York Times.. My dream job.." As Amy gulps her wine she nearly spits it out, seeing Theo with a lady being led by the waiter to their table.

Ugh! She can't get away from him. The waiter takes them to their seat.

Not beside us, not beside us, not beside us..Amy mutters. As expected, the waiter seats them at the table next to ours.

Not sure if he's seen her, she doesn't make eye contact.

"Do you wanna go some place else?" She asks Gavin. Gavin eyes her strangely.

"But this is only our starter.." He says.

"Right.. You're right.." She remembers.

"Theo!" Gavin says, looking over at him. He knows him too? Jeez!

Theo looks over at our table.

"Gavin, hey man.." Theo says, looking over to see who is with Gavin his eyes meet mine. Theo, surprised, stutters as he tries to speak.

Amy.. She's here. Why the hell can't I get rid of her.. God. She looks amazing. What is she doing with Gavin?

"Amy this is Theo, Theo, my date Amy." She nods and smiles politely at Theo.

"Uh this is Melanie.. This is Gavin." Theo introduces Melanie.

"Excuse me." Amy says, getting up and walking to the ladies room.

Theo watches as she walks away. She looks less than thrilled to see him.

"She's a little annoyed tonight. She told me that some cop ruined her chances of getting her dream job at the New York Times. Sucks huh?" He said, unaware that it was Theo. Theo nods.

"So how did you two meet?" Theo asks, curious.

"Jill's party."

He should have known. Seeing that Amy has left the ladies room, Theo eyes her as she walks back to the table. Returning his attention to his date, Theo tries to avoid looking over.

"I'm not feeling too well. Can we go?" Amy whispers to Gavin.

"What's wrong?" He asks.

"I have a bad head ache coming on.." Gavin agrees.

As Theo's date talks about her job, he notices that Amy and Gavin are leaving. Strange, it only looks like a starter they've had. Gavin pays and Amy walks quickly to the exit. Yeah.. She pissed at me. He thinks.