Stalked

Chapter 12

Lisa comforts Amy as she becomes tearful after explaining what happened the other day with Theo.

"It's his fault!" Amy cries. Lisa rubs her shoulder as she listens.

"I know hun. You must feel so angry.."

"I do. I've been after that job for so long. And because one mistake... I blew it. Sorry, he blew it!" Amy wipes her tears away with her sleeve. "I should have tried harder. I could've hid.. Or.. Got to a roof to get a better view.. And he told me to get a real job and that I was pathetic for trying to get pictures. Was he right?" She asks, looking at Lisa.

"No Amy! This is your job. I can't believe he said that. He's such a jerk. Have you been out since with Gavin?" She asks Amy.

"Last night we went to the movies. We're going out again next week."

"At least he didn't notice.." Lisa tries to make Amy feel better. "And hey, tomorrow is Chris's party. You can look forward to that."

"What if Theo is there?" Amy asks. "I'm not going."

"I doubt he'd be there. Do you think he was invited? I thought they just worked together, I'm not sure if they are friends. Just go. It'll be fun."

"I'll think about it." Amy says, knowing that she won't.

---

"So what the hell is going on with you?" Tom asks.

Theo takes a bite of his burger. They both went out for food and beer.

"Huh?" Theo asks, his mouth full.

"You've hardly spoken a word. And I know it ain't girl trouble!"

"It's nothing."

Theo doesn't want Tom to know that he feels guilty about Amy's job. Since that night she left her date early just to get away from him, it's all that's been on his mind.

"You forget I can read you like a book.. Let me guess."

Theo sighs as he chews on his burger. Not paying any attention to Tom, he reaches for his phone to see if he has any messages.

"Work? Paul?" As Theo doesn't react, Tom thinks harder. "Hmm..what could it be. You got some girl pregnant?"

Theo stops chewing his food to look up at Tom. He raises his eyebrows and pulls a 'Are you serious' face.

"Ok it's not that. Your team lost?"

Theo feeling himself getting frustrated with Toms persistent guessing, he decides to tell him.

"Ok, I'll tell you. But before I do, do not get the wrong idea, got it?"

Tom nods, sipping his beer.

"I kind of ruined the chances for 'someone' getting a dream job. And I feel awful about it."

"Someone?" Tom asks, slowly nodding his head. "As in, a female someone?"

"Does it matter?" Theo asks. Tom shrugs.

"So that's it.. I feel bad. Feel free to crack all the jokes you want." Theo says in a serious voice.

"Care to go into any detail? Who is she?"

"She's someone I helped out last week. She needed extra security so, I helped. And no, I haven't hooked up with this girl and I don't Plan to. I really upset her.. I don't know what I should do."

"Well.. It's you.. You do nothing, as always." Tom jokes.

A confused Theo looks a Tom, bewildered.

"I do nothing, as always? What's that supposed to mean?" Theo sits back in his heat to hear him out.

"I just mean that you don't always do the right thing. This isn't news to you Theo.."

"Well yeah, it kinda is. I don't just do nothing.."

"Since when have you ever did the right thing? With any girl, who you like or don't like?"

Theo thinks back to all the girls he's been around. He knows he's a womaniser. He knows how to treat the ladies to get what he wants. So why did it hit him so hard when Tom said it out loud.

"Whatever man." Theo says, looking at his watch.

"Why don't you just apologise?" Tom asks. "It's the obvious thing to do. Be nice for a change, say sorry..and you'll never know, it might teach you to try to be friends with the female species instead of humping all of them into oblivion."

Theo throws a couple of fries at Tom who is laughing uncontrollably.

"Ass. Jealous much?" Theo mutters under his breath.

"Hey, I learned from you. And no, I'm happily married thank you very much."

---

Amy switches off the light and sits down, picking up the remote to start the movie. Tonight is Chris's party, she told Lisa she won't be going. If she were to see Theo, she doesn't know what she'd do.

Amy hears her front door, pausing the movie she rushes to the door, looking through the peep hole. It's only Lisa.

"Hey, what're you doing here?" Amy asks, closing the door behind her.

"I'm here to take you out! You can't sit in here and sulk! Get changed. We're going to Chris's party!" Lisa takes off her coat and turns the tv off.

"Hey I was watching that!" Amy moans.

"I don't care. I'm not going to let you stay in your own and cry all night. I doubt he'll be at the party.. Come on!" She claps her hands and pushes Amy to the stairs. Too tired to fight, Amy goes upstairs.

Changing into a black dress with black ankle boots, Amy puts on her leather jacket and wraps a tartan scarf around her neck. She hardly puts any make up on, only some mascara, blusher and Mac pink lip gloss. Lazily, she goes downstairs yawning.

"Ok. I'm ready."

"That was quick!" Lisa says, looking at what she is wearing.

"Yeah well.. Wouldn't want to keep you waiting now.." Amy jokes.

"Let me check that everything is locked." Amy checks all the windows, before turning off the light switch.

"I can't believe you're making me go to this.." She whines and she and Lisa both walk to Chris's house.

"And I can't believe you're just happy to sit in tonight!"

"There's nothing wrong with staying in.. You should try it sometime." Amy snaps.

"Jeez. You're crabby tonight.." Lisa says as she takes out a piece of paper with Chris's address on it.

"How far?" Amy asks, ignoring her last comment.

"Not too far."

They both find the flats, and looking for door number 27 as they climb the stairs.

Knocking on the door, Lisa adjusts hair. Amy couldn't care less how she looks. She just wants tonight to be over with. Maybe a drink will help, she thinks.

"Girls! You made it!" Chris greets them as he opens the door. Taking their jackets, he invites them into the kitchen for a drink. Amy waves at the familiar faces. Her eyes scan the room for Theo, but she doesn't see him. Feeling a little relived that he's not here, she can feel herself perking up.

"So ladies. What would you like to drink? I have red and white wine, a lot of beer, vodka, cider."

"I'll have a vodka coke please." Amy asks.

"Mmm I think I'll have white wine." Lisa decides. Taking the glass from Chris, he leads them into the living room.

An hour later and Amy has forgotten all about the last week. This was a good idea, she thinks. She is grateful for Lisa dragging her out the house. Lisa sings along to Beyoncé - Single ladies as Amy chats to Michaela about holidays. Amy see's Chris skipping to the door, opening it she sees a couple walk in. But behind them follows Theo, holding hands with the girl he took out to dinner the other night.

"God.." Amy mutters. She nudges Lisa, nodding to where Theo is.

"Oh crap. I thought he wouldn't come!" Lisa explains, seeing the look of betrayal on Amy's face.

"Are you ok?" Lisa asks. Amy watches as Theo takes off his coat, taking his dates coat and hanging them up. They both head into the kitchen.

"Yeah.. I'm fine. I guess I'll just ignore him. Pretend he's not even here." Amy swallows the rest of her drink.

Needing a top up, she can't go into the kitchen till Theo comes out.

"Do you want me to get you another glass?" Lisa offers, noticing Amy's discomfort. Amy nods, handing her the empty glass.

Lisa goes to the kitchen. Pouring Amy's drink, and purposely making it weak. Theo hasn't noticed Lisa yet.

---
"Chris this is Tom and his wife Emma. And this is my date, Melanie." Theo introduces his friends to Chris. He hears a loud noise, looking round he notices A girl who looks very familiar, pouring drinks. Trying to remember who she is, Theo doesn't hear what the group are talking about. The blonde girl takes the drinks and walks past Theo, throwing him daggers as she leaves the kitchen. Confused, he returns his attention to the conversation.

"I love this song!" Melanie tells him. He listens. Aerosmith - Don't Wanna Miss A Thing. Theo smiles at her, pretending he's interested. Songs like that don't really do much for Theo, not anymore. Tom takes Emma to the living room, he follows them with Melanie behind. Melanie is insistent on holding Theo's hand. He wishes she wouldn't. He hears a familiar laugh, looking in the direction it's coming from, he sees her. The guilt suddenly washes over him, seeing her sitting there with a black dress on, her bare tanned legs on show. Stupidly knowing that she'd probably be here, Theo is regretting showing up. She takes a sip of her drink, her eyes meeting his stare. She quickly looks away, listening to her friend.

"Oh hi! Wow, it's been so long!" Melanie says as she greets an old friend. Theo quickly escapes the living room, and into the kitchen.

"Crap.." He mutters.

"What's wrong with you?" Tom asks, following him in.

"You know that girl I told you about. The girl who's career i messed up?" Tom nods.

"She's here." Toms mouth falls open.

"She is? Which one is she?" He asks, peaking out into the living room.

Theo grabs him, pulling him back in.

"Hey do you mind?!" Theo snaps. "She's sitting down, the black dress, brown hair." Tom casually walks towards the living room, and then slowly turns, pretending he's forgotten something he goes back to the kitchen.

"No wonder you're upset. She's gorgeous!" Tom slaps his back,

"I don't know what you mean." Theo says, acting stupid.

"So.. Have you spoken to her?" Tom asks.

"No.. I only just noticed she was here."

"Then why don't you go apologise?" Tom asks.

Theo shakes his head. It won't work.

"Come on. Just try it.. Go!" Tom pushes him into the living room.

Before Theo gets the chance to approach Amy, Melanie runs up to him.

"Wanna dance?" She asks, wrapping her hands round his neck.

"Not really. Go dance with your friends." He says. She pouts her lip. He glares at her. Her sad pout does nothing to him. He wonders why he couldn't say no to Amy when she pouted, begging him to sing her song.

"Look, your friends are calling you over.." He points. Sighing, Melanie takes the hint and dances with her friends. He sees Amy standing, whispering something to Chris. Chris points to the hall. Amy walks past Theo, not making eye contact with him.

Deciding on what to do, he decides to follow her. But he feels someone tugging at his arm. He turns, remembering her name. Lisa.

"Don't even think about it!" She warns.

"Look I just need to talk to her." He pleads.

"Nu uh Mr! Who do you think you are, telling her that she's pathetic, huh?"

"I didn't mean it.. I was having a bad day."

"Whatever. Look, just leave her alone, alright? It took me long enough to convince her to come here."

"Why didn't she wanna come?" He asks.

"Because she thought that you might be here. And she was right. You really upset her. Don't say a word to her tonight, got it?" She warns him, pointing.

Not answering Lisa, he sits down next to Melanie. Amy comes back in the room, Lisa takes her hand and they both go into the kitchen.

Theo can't help watching the clock. Another hour has passed, and he's listened to Melanie's stories. Amy has caught his eye a few times, but she ignores it.

He notices that Lisa left the room a while ago, not sure where she went to. Maybe this is his opportunity to speak to Amy. He sees Amy standing, and staggering to the kitchen. Following her, he sees her pouring herself a glass of water.

"Had a little too much?" He asks, making her jump. She doesn't turn to face him. He wishes she would. Ignoring him, he steps closer.

"Amy, can you please talk to me?" He asks, leaning on the counter next to her.

"What about? About the time you destroyed my career?" She asks, finally looking up at him. It's a start, he thinks.

"I had no idea.. I'm so sorry."

"Save it." She mutters.

"I shouldn't have said those things to you. If I could take it all back I would."

"Too little too late, Theo." She shoves past him, staggering as she holds onto the wall. Theo holds her waist, holding her up.

"Sit down." He says, pulling out a seat.

"I can sit on my own!" She snaps, pulling herself away from his grip.

"Sorry.." Theo says, holding his hands up. He pours another glass of water, handing it to her.

"And I can pour my own drinks!" She says, gulping down the water.

"Look what if I helped you with the paper? I could.."

"I don't need your help or your pity, Detective James!" She says sarcastically. Standing up, she leaves the room. Tom and Emma come in, sitting at the table with Theo.

"That didn't go so well then?" Tom asked.

"She's too drunk!" Theo says as he knocks on the table with his knuckles.

"Well maybe your timing is bad!" Emma says, laughing. "Why couldn't you have talked to her while she was sober?" She asks.

"You know me.. I make things difficult for myself."

After speaking with Tom and Emma about what happened, they both go back to the party. Theo looks to see where Amy is.

"Hey, where's Amy?" He asks the girl that amy was talking to earlier.

She shrugs her shoulders. "I think she left. I saw her grab her coat."

Theo lets out a frustrated sigh.

"Melanie, I need to go. I'll be back." He says, taking his cost and running out the door.

Seeing just how drunk she was, it's not safe for her to walk back on her own. Theo walks down the street, remembering where Amy lives.