Stalked

Chapter 14

Theo hears the birds tweeting outside. Yawning, he slowly opens his eyes. The daylight shines through the corner of the curtains, stinging his eyes. Suddenly realising he's not alone in bed, he looks down at Amy. Trying not to gasp in shock at his arm around her, her head resting on his chest and her arm around his waist, he stays still.

"What the.." He whispers quietly. Not quite sure how they ended up cuddling one another. He can't get over how peaceful she looks. All night, she tossed and turned. She would mumble something in her sleep, her whole body twitched as she moaned. Theo didn't know what to do to calm her down. She was obviously having a bad dream. He smiles as he watches her. The daylight shining through the curtains shines on her head, making her hair change colour.

This is a first.. Theo thinks to himself. Feeling confused, he's not sure why he isn't disgusted. Every morning after being with a lady he can't quite stand the sight of her. He doesn't know why. Maybe it's the bad morning breath. Or maybe it's because her makeup is usually smudged all over her face. Her hair, messy and sticky from hairspray. But not Amy. She's cute, she looks so vulnerable, he thinks. He can feel her legs wrapped in his. The more he looks at her, the more confused he feels. Not wanting to face what he is feeling, he decides he should get up. Slowly, he brings his arm back, letting her head gently fall onto the pillow. He lifts her arm, moving away and covering her with the covers. Quickly, he escapes to the living room. Knowing that he has work in an hour, and that Amy is still in danger, he's not sure if she should stay here today, or go someplace else. After his shower, he wraps a towel around his waist as he hears his stomach grumble.

"Food.." He whispers.

---

Amy turns over facing the window. Her eyes squint at the brightness shining through.

"Where am I..?" She wonders. Sitting up and taking in her surroundings,ms he suddenly remembers where she is. Too scared to sleep alone last night, was coming into Theo's room the best move? She sighs, wishing she stayed in the spare room. Hearing noises coming from the living room, she gets up from bed. Walking down the hall, looking at the photos on the wall of Theo when he was little, she enters the living room. Looking in the kitchen, she sees him. His back is to her. All he wears is a towel around his waist. He turns suddenly, and the front of him looks even better, she thinks.

"Morning, you ok?" He asks.

"Uh.. Yeah." She says, looking from him to the counter.

"Do you want coffee?" He asks, grabbing a spare cup.

"Please.."

Amy glances in the mirror. Man.. I'm a mess. She thinks as she quickly runs her fingers through her hair. This catches Theo's attention. He watches her as he pours her a cup of coffee. She looks adorable, he smiles.

"Thanks.." She says as she sits on the barstool.

"There's toast here.."

"I'm not hungry.." She says. "Thank you.."

"Ok but you'll need to eat something today.." He reminds her. She can't concentrate on the words coming out of his mouth. She wishes he would get dressed. She's still angry at him. But it's hard to be angry with someone who looks like that. Her eyes looking everywhere but Theo's, he notices the tension in the room.

"I should get dressed.." He says.

When Theo returns he is wearing a black shirt, with black pants and a black suit jacket.

"Working today?" She asks.

"Yup. I think it's gonna be pretty busy.." He says, eyeing her.

"How you feeling?" He asks.

"I'm ok.." She says, lying. All she wants to do is cry. "I'll get out of your way soon.." She says, standing up.

"No. You don't have to. You can't go back to your house just yet. You can stay here today, if you want. I'll be out at work and, this way I know where you'll be.."

Shocked by his kindness, Amy feels confused. He was an ass to her a short while ago. She hated him. He stands, his hands leaning in the counter, watching her as she considers it.

"Thanks for the offer but I should go." She says, making up her mind. She hates that he's being so nice.

"Well, where will you go?" He asks.

"I'll figure something out.." She says, walking to the spare room. Once she gets changed, she makes sure she has all her things before returning to the living room.

"I'll drop you off. If you know where you want me go?" He asks, curious.

"Lisa's I guess." She says, shrugging her shoulders.

Once in the car, Theo decides he should know where she is at all times today.

"You still have my number, right?" He asks.

"I think so." She says casually. Sighing, he pulls a card from his pocket, handing it to her.

"Save the number on your phone. Call me at anytime, if you need anything. Ok?" He asks, staring at her and then back at the road.

"Ok." She whispers. As they get to Lisa's, Amy adds the number to her phone like he asked.

"Thanks for letting me stay." She thanks him, eyeing him cautiously. What's with him being so nice all of a sudden?

"Don't worry about it. I'll let you know when you can go back to your house. But um.. In order to do that I'm gonna need your phone number.." He says, avoiding eye contact with her.

"Why?" She asks.. Stupid question, she thinks. He looks at her, looking for an answer.

"So I can get up in touch with you.. You know, for the case."

"Oh, yeah.. Sure." She shows him her phone number, he dials it into his mobile. Feeling embarrassed, Amy says goodbye and quickly gets out the car before she embarrasses herself even more.

After waking up Lisa, Amy tells her about what happened last night.

"Oh my god. Are you ok?" She asks, giving Amy a hug.

"I don't know. I'm.. Numb. My wrist hurts. And, I still can't believe that it happened."

"You should have called.." Lisa says.

"Well, here's the other thing. I stayed at Theo's last night, he offered and.. I said yeah. You weren't home and I didn't have a place to go."

Lisa pulls a concerned face, eyeing Amy as she feels her sore wrist.

"Really? That asshole?" Lisa asks. Amy sniggers.

"Yeah, him. The funny thing was, he was nice. You know, he wasn't being a jerk."

"Mmm.. He's still an asshole." Lisa says, rolling her eyes.

"Yeah, he is." Amy agrees.

Falling asleep on Lisa's couch, while Lisa goes out to the shops, Amy wakens to her phone buzzing. She looks at it, still lying on her back.

"Woah.." She says. Seven missed calls and an answer message from Theo. Amy plays the message.

"Amy where the hell are you? Are you still at Lisa's? Answer your phone!" Frustratingly cursing at her phone, she calls him.

"Amy?" He asks.

"Yes, it's me. Wha.."

"Why didn't you pick up?" He interrupts. His voice sounds angry and agitated.

"I was.."

"You can't not just answer your phone!" He snaps.

"If you would let me finish! I was asleep. And yes to answer your voice message I'm at Lisa's."

"Ok.. Good.."

"She'll be back soon.." Amy moans.

"Where is she?"

"Shopping."

"You're there alone? You can't be alone right now!" He snaps.

"Jeez what climbed up your ass today?" She asks, hearing him sigh.

"Just, answer your phone next time I call, ok?"

"Well why would should you call??" She asks,hearing him mutter something under his breath.

"Just answer." He says.

"Ok..sure, bye!" She snaps, hanging up.

"Ugh!" She throws her phone down, and goes back to sleep.

---

She's so annoying.. Theo thinks as he returns his attention back to his laptop. Trying to get the image of her from this morning out his head, his thoughts are interrupted when Nielsen throws a file down on his table. Having had a row from Nielsen, thanks to Paul, about helping Amy and not reporting it, he's not his favourite person today.

"I want it done in an hour." He snaps, storming off. Looking Over At Paul, Theo sees him smirking.

After finishing the report, Theo goes back to researching evidence from last night. He decided to make a call.

"Hi this detective James. About the break in last night? Anything.. Great. How long?"

Hanging up, Theo waits for the tech guy to come hand him the catch from the neighbourhood. Finally, Theo gets his hands on it. Pressing play, he patiently watches. Paul stands over him, watching the screen.

"What was that?" Paul asks, pointing to the screen. Rewinding it, Theo looks closer at the hoodied man walking round the corner.

"The guy had a hoodie on.. Could be him." Theo says. Disappointed that that's all there is, Theo wonders if looking back when Amy first felt that she was being followed would be the solution.

---

Amy hears a knock at the door. Startled, she peaks out the window as Lisa runs down stairs.

"I'll get it I'll get it!" She shouts.

"Oh, it's you.." Lisa mutters, letting Theo and his partner in.

Amy stands by the window, watching them come in the living room. They both stand across from Amy, Theo watching her closely.

"Miss Williams, how are you?" Andrews asks.

"Fine.." She whispers nervously. She looks at what Theo is holding.

"Am.." They begins. Paul looks at him, glaring. "Miss Williams.." Theo corrects himself. Amy raises an eyebrow.. Did he just call me Miss Williams?

"Our evidence tells us that a man has been watching you, for the past month. We checked out Mrs Spencer's Security footage from her camera, just across the road. He's been.. Hanging around.." Theo days.

"Hanging around?" Amy asks, folding her arms. Lisa walks next to Amy, rubbing her back.

"Yes. He's been watching when you leave for work, when you come back."

"Who is he?" Amy asks.

"We don't know. He always wears a hoodie. We have some pictures here, but, you can't see his face." Theo takes the photos from the folder and walks towards Amy, handing her them. Amy looks up Theo, feeling scared as she takes the photos.