Stalked

Chapter 14

Only a week after finding out that she is being followed, Amy has been staying at Lisa's. Being told by the FBI that she can go back to her house, but it wouldn't be advised for the time being, she decided staying at Lisa's would be best. Amy lies in bed staring up at the ceiling. She took time off work, too scared to leave the house. The FBI don't believe that the man who had been watching her knows that she's at Lisa's. But that doesn't put her mind at ease. Not having heard anything from Theo since he broke the news to her, she is glad of the peace. Hearing voices coming from downstairs, Amy gets up from bed and slowly goes downstairs.

"She's not left the house.. She's not talked much. She's just been sleeping, a lot. Not eating much." Lisa says.

"Well, I guess I could talk to Theo, if he's been involved in this whole thing.." Amy hears Chris say. Now rushing downstairs, Amy goes into the living room.

"Chris.. Hi." She says.

"Amy, you ok?" He asks, hugging her.

"Well.. No." She admits.

"You need to get out.. Get some fresh air."

"No.. I don't want to. I'm fine here." She says.

"What's the FBI doing about it then?"

"I don't know. I've not heard from them, I don't want to know right now."

Sighing, Chris takes a seat. After an hour of Chris trying to convince Amy to go out, and failing, he gives her a hug and leaves.

Later that night, Amy decided to make Lisa dinner.

"Spaghetti ok?" Amy shouts from the kitchen.

"Uh.. Sure..whatever." Lisa shouts back. Wondering why she sounds strange, Amy goes into the living room.

"What're doing?" Amy asks, watching her peaking out the window. She jumps, and closes the curtains.

"Oh, I'm just having a nosey.. Spaghetti sounds good." She says, smiling.

"Ok.." Amy says, looking back at Lisa as she walks to the kitchen.

As amy pours water into the pot, she hears her phone beep in the living room.

"Lisa who's the text from?" She shouts from the kitchen.

"Amy?" Lisa shouts. Amy immediately knows something isn't right. She rushes to the living room. Lisa is holding Amy's phone, her face chalk white.

"What?" Amy asks, grabbing her phone off of Lisa.

"Oh my god.." Amy whispers. "Unknown number.." A picture message was sent to Amy. A picture of her, going into Lisa's house after Theo dropping her off last week.

"He knows you're here.. And.. I didn't wanna say anything but I'm pretty sure there's someone out there."

"What?" Amy snaps. She rushes over to the window, slowly pulling back the curtain. She sees a shadow of a man across the street. Quickly closing the curtains, she steps back. Trying to catch her breath, Amy feels her heart racing, her palms sweaty.

"Amy, are you ok?" Lisa asks. Staggering, Amy holds onto the wall.

"I can't... Breath.." Amy says, struggling to get the words out. Suddenly everything goes black, and Amy collapses. Hearing faint voices, Amy opens her eyes.

"Amy?" She hears a familiar voice. Lisa's voice. "Wake up.."

"What... Happened.." Amy asks, lying on the couch trying to sit up. She then realises that it's a full room. Lisa, the police, a doctor, and Theo with his partner Andrews.

Before Lisa gets a chance to answer her, the doctor politely asks her to step aside.

"You had a panic attack, Amy. A big one. Do you suffer from anxiety?" He asks as he checks her temperature. Feeling everyone's eyes on her, she shakes her head.

"No." She says, clearing her throat.

"You'll be fine. Just take it easy, rest." The doctor stands and grabs his kit, says goodbye to everyone and leaves.

Theo steps forward. Andrews is talking to the police, they leave the room. Noticing that Theo is dressed in jeans and a grey hoodie, he must have been called out.

"How you feeling?" He asks as he sits on the table across from her.

"Dizzy." She says.

"I'm not surprised. That was a bad panic attack you took." He stares at her, his eyes kind and thoughtful. She never noticed that about him. Probably because he's not always kind and thoughtful, she thinks.

"So what happened?" She asks, struggling to remember. Lisa sits next to Theo.

"Don't you remember the text?" Lisa asks.

"Oh.. Yeah." Amy remembers. She runs her fingers through her hair, it all coming back to her.

"If you don't mind, I need to take your phone to the station. We need to trace the text, if we can." Theo asks, he's already holding her phone.

"Sure. Did you see him, outside?" Amy asks, looking at the window. Theo looks at Lisa.

"No hunni. After you fainted I didn't check to see if he was still out there. But the flashing lights from the cop cars would have scared him away." Lisa says as she rubs Amy's shoulder.

"Listen, two cops are going to stay here tonight. They'll keep you safe. And they'll stay up all night to make sure that creep isn't out there." Theo says. Looking back at the cops.

"What about tomorrow? I can't have cops staying with me all the time." Amy asks.

"I know. I'll talk to my boss, see what he has in mind."

Theo and Andrews leaves, and the cops stay behind.

---

The next day Theo gets news that the text can't be traced. Neilson calls him into his office.

"Take a seat." He offers. Theo does as he says.

"So here's the deal. I'm not happy that you are involved with this girl, Amy.."

"Involved? Sir, I'm not involved.. Not that way."

"I know that. But I'm all that thrilled about you being close to her."

Theo lets out a laugh.

"Close? We are not close.. I barely know her."

"Oh really? Weren't you two at a party together not that long ago?" Nielsen asks.

"A party? Oh, that was my friends party and I didn't know she was gonna be there. Sir, all I did was help her with some extra security around the house, that's all."

"So, why is your car in that picture message?" Nielsen asks. Theo knows he's in trouble.

"It's not what you think. After she was attacked, I said that she could stay at my place because she didn't have anywhere.."

"Whatever, Theo." Nielsen interrupts, holding up his hand. Theo bites his bottom lip, hating when he does that.

"Bottom line is, you know this girl. And, you are too involved in the case. So, normally I would take you off the case, under these circumstances. But.." He says, leaning back in his chair.

"But..?" Theo asks.

"She's not safe. Not in her own home, or her friends. So I have an idea. Why don't we put her up in the safe house?"

Theo nods, knowing that it's a good idea.

"I guess. But wouldn't she need security with her at all times?"

"I wouldn't say at all times, no. But, security.. Yes."

"Well I guess I can assign a guard to watch her.." Theo offers.

"That won't be necessary. You will be doing it, Theo."

Nearly choking, Theo can't believe his bad luck.

"What?" He asks.

"I think it's a pretty good idea."

"Well I don't. I have a life, sir.. I can't just.."

"Yes, you do. And you can still live it. Just not as.. Free as you would like. You're doing this." Nielsen pushes.

"But sir.."

"Look you know the rules, no naked girls in that place, no strangers, you can of course invite your friends round. But don't go too far.. I'll email you a set of rules." Nielsen waves for him to go.

"Great.." Theo whispers.

---

Lisa invites Theo in.

"Amy, Th.... Detective James is here." Lisa shouts, Theo throws her a curious look. Why didn't she use my name..he wonders.

Amy walks in, taking a seat on the chair as Theo sits on a separate seat.

"Would you like a drink?" Lisa asks.

"No thanks. I have some news.." Theo says. He doesn't want to tell her. He doesn't want to do this. Why can't someone else do it..

"Oh? The text?" Amy asks, sitting forward.

"Mm.. Not that. We didn't get a trace."

Amy sighs, throwing her head back on the chair.

"So uh.. The news. You definitely can't stay here.."

"Yeah.." Amy agrees.

"So it's been arranged that you will stay at the safe house."

"The safe house?" Amy asks. Her concerned expression says it all.

"That sounds... Weird." Lisa says, staring at Theo.

"It's not. It's actually a penthouse. We have them scattered throughout the city, for cases like this and witness protection."

"Ooh a penthouse!" Lisa moves to the edge of her seat, suddenly interested.

"And I have been assigned to stay there, with you."

Amy and Lisa both exchange looks, Amy feels dread build up inside of her.

"You and me will be living together..?" Amy asks.

"Yeah.." Unfortunately, Theo thinks.

"You're kidding, right?" Amy asks. Theo sighs and stands up.

"Nope. Not kidding. I just found out.."

"So what are the rules? Do you have to be with her at all times?" Lisa asks.

"Not so much. I have to take her to work and back.. You are welcome to come to the apartment, Lisa. As for running errands and stuff like that, I wouldn't have to be there all the time but occasionally..I would."

"Wow..um." Amy feels speechless. The look on his face tells her that he is just as bummed out about this than she is.

"Yeah.." Theo whispers. "So, you can pack today and I'll pack too.. Ill pick you up later?" He asks. Amy nods, theo quickly leaves.

"Oh god!" Amy shouts, putting her head in her hands while Lisa laughs her head off.