Stalked

Chapter 16

That night Theo took her Amy to her house to get her things. Being in the house made Amy feel sick to her stomach. Her wrist ached, as she looked at the spot the man had held her down.

The car ride to the apartment is silent. Amy was curious to see where they'd be living together, but for how long? She peaks at Theo, his face serious as he drives. Wondering if she should break the silence, her mouth opens but the words don't come out.

"How's your wrist?" Theo asks, still concentrating on the road.

"A little sore." Amy says quietly.

The silence takes over again. Theo wonders what to say next. He looks over at Amy, her eyes looking down at her sore wrist.

"So.. You're French?" Theo asks, breaking the silence, finally. Amy looks at him curiously.

"Yea. How do you know?" She asks, knowing she didn't tell him.

"Chris told me. So, do you speak French?" He asks. Amy laughs under her breath.

"What?" He asks.

"Of course I speak French.. I am French after all."

"You just don't sound remotely French. You don't have the accent." Theo says.

"vous un grand visage de secousse" (you are a big jerk face.) Amy mutters something in French.

Theo looks at her grinning as she stares out the window.

"What did you just say?" He asks, glancing from the road to her. Amy shrugs her shoulders.

"Guess you'll just have to figure it out." She teases, watching him as he frowns.

"Hmm. I know a guy in work who is a translator. I can ask him." He says, clicking his fingers.

"Ok. So what did I just say? Repeat it back to me." Amy says. Her grin gets bigger as Theo stutters.

"Oh whatever!" He snaps, focusing on the road ahead. Amy laughs, watching the frustration build up on Theo's face. A slight smile appears on his lips for only a second.

"Ok, we're here." He says, pulling in. Amy looks up through the window at the tall building.

"Which floor are we?" She asks.

"Forty-eighth."

Theo grabs her case, and his own. Pulling the handle up, Amy takes her case from Theo and rolls it behind her as she enters the building.

"Dave.." Theo greats the man at the front desk. He wears an ear plug, Amy wonders if he is a cop.

As they enter the elevator, Theo decides to explain a few rules.

"Ok, the rules.." He says, nodding at Amy to listen."In the mornings, I can drop you of at work. But if I don't have time then the driver will take you instead. I can't a,ways pick you up from work, so the driver will do that too. When you are working, don't go far.. And don't on any photographic sprees in the middle of nowhere. You can have friends round, but not many. Same goes for me. You have to tell me where you are at al times. So at work, you call me every hour. If you need to go some place, you tell me."

"Wow.. Strict." Amy mutters as she watches the numbers go up in the elevator.

"Yeah well.. We have to be in this situation. You're being watched, we need to make sure that you're ok." Theo explains. Amy nods.

Finally floor forty-eight. The elevator stops, but the doors don't open. It's just then that Amy noticed a small key pad on the wall.

"Watch closely. These doors don't open unless you type the code. 226ab7." Amy watches as theo types the code into the keypad. Suddenly the door opens, and Amy gasps at the sight in front of her.

"Oh my god.. We're staying here?" Amy asks as Theo nudges her out.

"Yep. You like it?" He asks.

"Hell yeah!" Amy screeches.

"The elevator opens right into the apartment? I've only seen that in movies!" Amy screeches again. Theo watches as her eyes light up, trying to take in every inch of the flat.

Amy looks down to the shiny hardwood flooring. Ahead of her is the living room. As she slowly walks in, with Theo following, she gasps at the sight of the room. Oversize windows fill the room, with a beautiful view of the city. Although the living room is is a little too big for two people, she doesn't care. The cream beige corner couch sits up against the wall. In front is a glass coffee table with a white outer wooded edge. The gigantic wide screen tv sits behind it, with a view of the city behind the tv.

"I can't believe this is a safe house.. Don't you cops come here to just, chill out?" Amy asks as she slowly walks around the room.

"Unfortunately no. It's strictly for witnesses and victims. I wish I could come here."

"So you only get to stay here if you have someone who needs protection?" She asks, picking up a bouquet of fake flowers sitting on the corner unit.

"Not exactly." Theo mutters. He sits on the edge of the couch, watching how excited Amy is.

"What do you mean?" She asks, staring at him from the other side of the room.

"I don't usually do this. My boss told me to." Theo slips off his shoes, sitting them to the side.

"Oh.." Amy whispers. She bites at her bottom lip, feeling awkward. She wonders if he feels angry that he has to look out for her.

"Where's the kitchen?" Amy asks, changing the subject. Theo stands, motioning for her to follow. Down a short hall, the kitchen is huge with black and red tiles. A black fridge stands, with a large black gas cooker next to it. A dinner table sits on one side of the room.

"Bedrooms are down here.." Amy follows Theo back into the living room and down another hall. Two bedrooms sit next to each other.

"Take your pick." Theo says, opening the bedroom door. Amy peaks in.

"Jeez. Why is everything so big in this place?" Amy asks, stepping in. The windows are huge, the bed is big and high. And the wardrobe is massive. Theo doesn't answer, he's too busy watching as Amy explores the bedroom.

"I think you'll like the other bedroom better.." Theo says. He waves his hand for her to follow. As he opens the bedroom door, and watches as Amy walks in, he's waits for the scream.

"Oh my god!!" Amy screeches. Theo smiles, happy that he knew she'd like it. "A walk in wardrobe.. It's like another bedroom!" Amy runs in, spinning , taking everything in at once.

"I thought you'd like it. I guess you don't have enough to store, but.. "

"Oh I'll find stuff to put away in here! I'll even go shopping!" Amy claps her hands excitedly as she runs and jumps on the big bed.

"So...this is your room then?" Theo asks, teasing.

"Oh hell yeah!" Amy screeches.

"Bathroom is down the hall.. I'll grab your case and you can unpack." Amy leaps off the bed, looking out the window.

"Hey does this place have a balcony?" She shouts.

"Yeah, I'm surprised you didn't notice." Theo returns with her case. "Come on." Amy follows him into the living room. He opens the sliding window. The breeze hits Amy's face as she steps out.

"Wow.." She whispers. Theo stands beside her, looking out at the city lights. "Empire State building.." Amy points. A few minutes pass, and Amy has been silent as she stares out at the beautiful city. Theo watches her closely. The city lights make her eyes light up and sparkle. Her brown hair blowing against the breeze, her lips smiling as she gazes out. Her excitement when she saw the apartment. Maybe this won't be so bad, Theo tells himself.

The morning after, Amy's alarm wakes up her. The sun shines through the large window. Sighing as she didn't get much sleep, she wonders what the noise was that kept her up. All night she heard a clicking. She slides off the high bed, heading into the kitchen to make coffee.

"Morning.." Amy greets Theo, who's already made the coffee.

"Morning." He says, handing her a cup of coffee. Amy yawns, thanking him and sipping her drink. Theo is already dressed.

"Good sleep?" He asks.

"Does it look like I had a good sleep?" Amy asks, moodily.

"Sorry I asked.." Theo mutters.

"Sorry.. No I didn't get a good sleep. I heard a clicking noise all night. It was driving me crazy!"

"Well, where was it coming from?" He asks as he sips his coffee.

"I don't know.." Amy moans as she rests her elbow on the table, her cheek resting on her hand.

"I'll check it out later. Will you manage work today?" He asks as he sits down across from her.

"I'll have to."

"I'll drop you off. But a driver will pick you up from work."

Amy nods, her eyes closing as she feels herself falling asleep. She feels a tap on her arm. Theo pokes her, keeping her from falling asleep.

"Get ready.. Come on.. Wake up!" Theo annoyingly raises his voice.

"Ok ok!" Amy snaps.

Theo pulls over at Amy's work.

"Ok. You call me every hour.." Theo reminds her.

"Yes dad.." Amy jokes.

"I'm serious! Every hour on the dot. Got it?" He asks, pointing.

"Yes I got it. And stop pointing. It's rude!" She snaps, getting out the car. Theo huffs, driving away.

"God she's so frustrating.." He whispers.