Stalked

Chapter 17

With no leads on who attacked Amy, Theo feels no further forward in the case. He sits back and folds his arms behind his head, watching his phone light up.

"Great.." He mutters. Having been Deliberately ignoring Mel's persistent calls and text he decides to finally answer.

"Mel. Hey." He says dryly.

"Finally! You're alive! I haven't heard from you. You didn't come and see me the other like you said you would!" She snaps. Theo pinches the bridge of his nose, closing his eyes and sighing.

"I'm sorry. It's been really busy at work."

"Well are you going to make it up to me?" She asks.

"Of course. But.."

"Tonight then. Take me out!" She interrupts.

"I can't tonight, Mel."

"Well, I can come to your place.. Watch a movie." She suggests.

"I'm not living at my place right now. I've been assigned this case.. I'm staying in one of the safe houses to protect someone."

"Oh.. A safe house?" She asks.

"Yeah it's where we send the witnesses to live if they're in danger."

"Well, am I allowed there too?" She asks. Knowing that she is allowed, Theo isn't sure it's a good idea.

"Not right now, but maybe another time.." Hearing the disappointment in her voice, he promises to take her out to dinner tomorrow night. After hanging up, his phone rings.

"Hello.." He snaps.

"Hey grumpy! It's Amy!" Not realising the time, Theo forgot he was expecting her call.

"Hey. I'm not grumpy!" He says.

"Sure you're not.. Anyway. Just calling to check in."

"Is everything alright?" Theo asks, concern in his voice.

"Yeah. So far so good. No one following or watching me.. So when are you going to be home?" She asks.

"Uh. I'm guessing around seven. Lots to do here."

"Ok. Well I guess I'll talk to you again in an hour.." Amy says.

"Talk to you then. Bye." He hangs up, surprised that she remembered to call him.

---

As amy fiddles around with her camera, she hears her phone ringing.

"Hello?"

"Amy? Hi it's Gavin."

"Oh, hey Gavin. How're you?" She asks, rolling her eyes. She totally forgot about Gavin.

"I'm good. How're you? I've not heard from you."

"Yeah.. Things have been happening.. I can't really explain right now."

"Oh. So.. If I were to ask you to the movies tomorrow night.. Would you come?"

Not sure if it's 'against the rules' she contemplates it.

"Why not. I'd love to. Pick me up tomorrow night at.."

"Is that a different address? Have you moved?" He asks, confused.

"Something like that.."

Amy decided to talk to Theo later on tonight. When the driver comes to take her home, she gasps at the sight of the car. A black jag. Wow.. Being under protection certainly has its perks.

"Excuse me.. Could you take me to the closest supermarket please?" She asks the driver. "May as well take advantage.." She mutters.

Finally heading home after buying groceries, the driver even walks her to her front door.

"Thank you.." Amy thanks him. She loads the fridge with a lot of food. Not sure what it is that Theo likes, she got a little of everything. Healthy food, snacks, a few bottles of beer, juice, dinner things. She decided that she would make dinner tonight. Not sure what the arrangements are for dinners, she remembers theo telling her he doesn't use his kitchen. Assuming that all he'll eat is take aways, she decides to make it easy for him and have something ready for him coming home from work. It's the least she could do.

As she cooks the mince her phone rings.

"Hey Lisa." She says as she throws in some garlic.

"Hi hun. How're you?"

"I'm ok I guess. It's weird living here."

"I bet. Theo in?"

"No, he'll be home at seven. I'm just preparing dinner." Amy hears Lisa snort down the phone.

"What?" Amy asks.

"You just said that he will be home at seven and you're preparing dinner. You sound like a little lovey Dovey house wife."

"Oh shut up! It's only dinner."

"Whatever you say. So what's the place like?"

"It's amazing. You should come round sometime. You'll love it."

"I might take you up on that offer. How is theo?" She asks.

"I don't think she's all that happy about being here to be honest. He said that his boss told him to."

"He told you that? That guy is such an ass."

"Mm.. Yeah." Amy mumbles.

After hanging up Amy realises that she doesn't actually know Theo. Sometimes he's nice, other times he's moody. She wishes he would pick one.

After setting out the dinner plates, Amy throws a salad together to go with the spaghetti bolognes. Not sure what drink to serve, she places two glasses of water on the dinner table.

Amy stops for a second to breath.

"Why am I so nervous?" She whispers as she takes a deep breath. What Lisa said has been playing on her mind. "Lovey Dovey housewife.. Pffft.." Amy mutters.

Hearing the front door open, she takes another deep breath and waits for Theo to come in the kitchen.

"What smells so good?" He asks as he walks into the kitchen.

"Spaghetti.. I wasn't sure what the dinner arrangements were so.. I cooked. I hope you don't mind.." Amy tucks some hair behind her ear, her eyes looking anywhere but at Theo.

"I was gonna phone for a pizza but.. This is way better!" Theo loosens his tie, unbuttoning the top of his shirt.

"There's beer in the fridge if you want some?" She asks, opening the fridge door.

"You went shopping?" He asks, peering over her shoulder into the fridge.

"Yeah, we didn't have much so I asked the driver to take me to the market." Amy hands hin a beer as he takes his phone and badge from his pocket.

"Hmm. I shouldn't but.. No harm in one right?" He says, taking a seat at the dinner table. Theo takes the bowl of spaghetti and serves some to Amy.

"Thanks.." She whispers. "Why shouldn't you have a beer?" Amy asks.

"Uh. Technically I'm working.. You know.. I should keep a clear head incase anything were to happen." Theo tears apart some garlic bread.

"Oh.. Sorry.." Amy apologies, looking down at her food.

Theo looks at Amy, seeing the regret in her eyes as she slowly tucks into her food.

"It's not your fault. You have nothing to be sorry for." Theo explains. She smiles, taking some bread.

"So was work ok?" She asks, curious if he's found anything

"Nothing.. Absolutely nothing." He says furiously.

"Oh.." Amy whispers, disappointed. Seeing the disappointment on her face, Theo feels hopeless that he's not found anything.

"Give it time.." Theo says. "They always slip up one way or another."

"This is amazing by the way." Theo says, stuffing more spaghetti in his mouth."

"It's not that great, it's just spaghetti. You're just used to getting a take out!" Amy teases.

"I guess.. It means I have to work out more but.. I can't resist a good pizza. This though, I really like it." Theo scrapes his plate as he finishes the last of the spaghetti.

"Got room for dessert? There's chocolate cake in the fridge."

"At this rate I'll definitely have to hit the gym tomorrow morning.. Go for it! I'll get it."

Theo takes the plates to the sink. He gets the cake from the fridge, slicing it and serving Amy her half.

"God I'm stuffed!" Theo moans as he holds his stomach. "Oh hey, I just remembered!" Theo says as he follows Amy into the living room. Amy takes a seat on the couch, Theo sitting beside her as she turns on the tv.

"What?" She asks.

"You big jerk face?" He asks, raising an eyebrow.

Amy can feel her whole face turning red. She didn't actually think he'd look into it.

"Hah.." Amy giggles. "How did you find out?" She asks.

"The translator guy in work. I told you I'd find out. Jerk face.. Hrmph.." Theo mumbles.

As Amy flicks through the channels Theo decides to ask more questions about France. He feels so curious about this girl sitting next to him.

"So.. France." Theo says. Amy looks over at him as she leans on the arm of the couch.

"What about it?" She asks.

"How long did you stay there?"

For Amy, her home is difficult to talk about. She rarely speaks of where she comes from.

"Uh. I've been back and forth. I was born in France. I lived there till I was eight years old. Then we moved here, for two years. Then back to France till I was fourteen. And then back here. Why?" She asks defensively. Theo can hear the frustration in her voice as she questions him.

"I was.. Just curious. That's all." Theo says turning his attention to the tv.

Not sure what he's done to upset her, her looks over at her. She bites at her bottom lip frustratedly as she glares at the tv. Her fingers tapping on her leg, he knows she's annoyed.

"Are you ok?" He asks.

"Uh huh." She mumbles. "I just.. I don't talk about home that often." Amy explains.

Not wanting to push her, Theo doesn't ask.

"Hey can I ask you something?" She asks, looking over at him. Theo nods.

"Am I allowed to go out on a date? And please don't tell me that you have to come with me." She says, showing the plead in her eyes.

Theo hadn't though of that. Not sure whether she is allowed or not, he doesn't see the harm in it.

"I guess.." He says. Amy smiles, looking happy that she's allowed.

"Gavin?" He asks.

"Yes, Gavin." Amy says. She remembers the night of their first date, when they bumped into Theo and his lady friend. Since Chris's party, neither Amy or Theo have spoken about the paper.

Theo wonders if he should bring up what happened when he caught Amy taking pictures. He tried to apologise, but she was too drunk.

"How do you know Gavin?" Amy asks.

"Through a friend.." Theo answers.

"You seem to know everyone.." Amy mutters as she turns the channel.

"Not everyone. Why can't you keep it at the one channel? You're constantly flicking through all of them.." Theo adds, pointing out that she's annoying him. She sits the remote down beside Theo, motioning for him to pick something to watch.

As Theo presses the menu button to look at the list of channels, he decides to give her the late apology.

"So, I've been meaning to say sorry." He says, turning the channel to the movie Scream.

"Do we have to watch this?" Amy asks, ignoring his comment.

"What's wrong with Scream?" He asks.

"First of all I hate horror. And secondly.. I have some creep watching me. And you want to watch a movie about some creep going on a killing spree?" She says, staring at him in disbelief.

Theo sighs and turns the channel. She's so impossible sometimes..

"I hate what you did, what you said to me when I was only trying to do my job." Amy says, surprising Theo.

"I know. I shouldn't have said those things. I didn't mean it. You're not pathetic.. I was just having a really bad day. And, the press are like vultures sometimes. I guess you were just in the wrong place at the wrong time. I'm sorry."

Amy listens as she stares at the tv. Silence fills the room as they both watch Friends.

"I'm going to bed.. Night." She says. She knows what Theo said, about being sorry. But she hasn't chosen to forgive him yet, and Theo knows it.

Amy wakes up.

"Ugh..God." She moans as she hears the same clicking as she did last night.

"Two-thirty... Seriously??" She snaps, talking to herself as she throws the pillow over her head, pressing it close to her ear to drown out the irritating click. She moans as she sits up in the dark, grabbing her pillows and blanket and heading into the living room. She sits the pillows down on the couch, lying down and pulling the covers over her.

---

Theo awakens, the sunlight beaming through his window. Getting up earlier than usual to hit the gym, he gets out of bed, dressing in his gym gear. Black knee length shorts and a black vest and Adidas. Needing coffee he heads into the kitchen, pouring a cup. As he walks into the living room, he suddenly stops. He sees Amy asleep on the couch. Knowing that he shouldn't look, he can't help it. She's sound asleep. Her covers have fallen to the floor. She lies on her side with both arms huddled to her chest. She wears a baggy grey t-shirt just covering below her underwear..thank god, he thinks. Her long slim legs folded, and fluffy pink socks on her feet. Theo sits his coffee down on the coffee table, lifting the covers and gently placing them over her. Looking at her for too long, he grabs his things and heads to the gym.

---

As Amy eats her lunch with her work buddies, she can feel her eyes closing shut.

"Why are you so tired?" Allan asks, taking a bite of his salad.

"Just am.." Amy says.

"So are we going out next weekend?" Allan asks everyone At the table.

"Out?" Amy asks.

"Remember? Staff night out?" Ashleigh reminds Amy.

"Oh. I forgot. Sure..count me in." Annoyed that she forgot, Amy finishes her lunch and gets back to work. Looking at the time, she knows it's time to check in with Theo.

"Hello?" Theo answers.

"Hey, it's me." Amy says.

"Hey. Everything ok?" He asks. He sounds nicer than usual.

"Uh, yeah. Fine." Amy answers.

"Why were you asleep on the couch?" He asks.

"That clicking noise is driving me crazy!" Amy moans as she sorts through her photographs.

"I'll check it out tonight.."

"Ok.. Bye then." They both hang up.

"Hey, Amy. Looks like you have an admirer!" Amy turns to see Ashleigh standing with a bunch of flowers.

"Huh?" Amy asks, standing up.

"Just came in." She hands them to Amy. Amazed at the weight of the flowers, she admires the beautiful roses. Ashleigh leaves the room, leaving Amy wondering who the flowers are from. Seeing a card tucked into them, she pulls it out.

"Gavin I'm guessing.." She says, smiling at the thought. As she reads the card, she is left even more confused.

'For MY special Lady.'

"What the hell.." She whispers, looking through the flowers for any other clues. She dials Gavin's number.

"Hey Amy." He answers.

"Hi Gavin. Did you happen to send me flowers?" She asks, curiously.

"Uh. I would love to say yes I did but.. I didn't. Did someone beat me to it?" He asks, chuckling down the phone.

"Yeah, I'm guessing they are from my dad.." Amy lies.

After hanging up, she calls Theo.

"Hey. You ok?" Theo answers immediately, throwing Amy off guard.

"Uh.. Hi. Someone sent me flowers but, I have no idea who they could be from.. Says to my special lady?"

"Did you try.."

"Gavin? Yeah. Not from him." She interrupts.

"Amy.." Ashleigh whispers, standing at the door. She waves for Amy to follow her.

As Theo talks down the phone, Amy follows Ashleigh.

"Oh my god.." Amy says, stopping in her tracks.

"Amy?" Theo asks.

Amy stares at what lies in front of her. The staff stand, smiling, whispering to one another, jealousy written all over their faces. But Amy knows that this isn't romantic, it's vindictive.

In front of her is hundreds of roses, maybe thousands. Each one with a card.

"Theo? Can you please make your way over here, quickly?" Amy asks.

---

Paul and I arrive at Amy's work. Asking the front desk where she is, they both climb the stairs to the first floor. Theo hears whispers from staff, the female staff. As he walks past two ladies, he hears the conversation.

"My husband would never do that for me.. She's a lucky girl. I wonder who he is,
I didn't know she was seeing somebody."

Theo and Paul both glance at each other, curios at what's in store for them. As they enter the room, the red catches Theo's eye. Red roses, everywhere. Every bouquet has a white card tucked inside. Theo searches for Amy.

"Can you have a look at these while I find Amy?" Theo asks Paul. He nods, stepping over the roses.

"Where is Amy?" Theo asks the staff. They point.

"She doesn't look too happy.. We think her boyfriend is just trying to say sorry.." A red head says, holding her hand to her chest. Theo frowns. He walks into the room. Not seeing amy, he notices another door. Opening it, he sees her. As he enters the dark room, the red glow changes his vision. He sees Amy, sitting on a stool with her head in her hands. She looks up at him. He was expecting tears, but she's not crying. Instead, she looks angry.

"You ok?" He asks.

"I don't know. They all think that I have a boyfriend who is sorry and trying to make it up to me..do you know how hard it was to stop them from reading those cards?"

"Have you read them?"

"Only two.. I couldn't stand anymore."

"What did the second one say?" He asks, remembering that she told him over the phone about the first one.

She hesitates.

"Um." She whispers. She feels tired, exhausted. Before she can answer, Paul comes in. He holds his small note pad and pen.

"Have you read the cards, Amy?" He asks. Theo shakes his head.

"Only two." Theo answers for her. He can tell she's in Shockley she looks almost dazed.

"Well In order they say - To my special lady. From my heart and soul. You are mine. You will be mine. I almost had you once. You slipped through my fingers. From me to you. I gift you these roses. Each one shows my love for you. Each one shows your love for me. We are one. And we will be."

As Paul finishes, Theo glances at him giving him a confused look. From the corner of his eye, theo can see Amy sway. Without even thinking, he reaches over and catches her as she faints.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope it's good..