Stalked

Chapter 2

He takes a sip of his coffee and slides his paperwork out the way, sitting his coffee down.
"So, what do you do?" He asks.
"I'm a photographer for a magazine company, just across the street." I point.
"Sounds interesting. What kind of photos do you take?" He asks.
"Models, plants, houses, anything that the magazine are writing about basically."
"Photography is something I was always interested in back in school but I never did persue it."
"How come?" I ask.
He looks down at his coffee and smiles, his eyes lifting to meet mine.
"Oh you know, the parents didn't think it was a suitable career choice.." He laughs.
"Ah.. The parents," I joke.
We stay silent for a few minutes. I'm glad of the company.
"So..if you don't mind me asking, who did you call?" He asks, looking down at my phone.
"My cousin.." I say quickly. "Why?"
"I just wondered.. You sounded a little freaked out."
"Yeah well.. I have stuff going on I guess." I shift in my seat feeling uncomfortable at discussing this with a stranger.
"Anyway.." I say, gathering my stuff to head to work.
"Amy." He says, resting his hand on my arm before I stand up. His eyes stare into mine for what feels like forever. I feel myself getting nervous and going bright red. Butterflies are going crazy in my stomach and I can feel my mouth going dry.
"Yeah?" I ask to break the silence, his stare.
"I heard everything you said on the phone. I think you should be cautious. Make sure you have someone staying with you. Call the police even, just to make sure."
"I don't want to waste their time.." I say, pulling my arm away from his hand. "Besides.. My cousin thinks I'm going crazy. Maybe he's right. Maybe I'm just overthinking things."
"What about this table. I heard you mentioning that a table was moved?" He asks.
"Uh.." I mumble. "I don't know if I moved it or.."
He reaches in his jacket pocket and takes out a card, handing it to me.
"Don't waste anytime on calling the police. But if you don't want to, if you need to talk or have the house looked over, then call me. Ok?"
I nod, taking his card and glancing at it quickly before putting it in my pocket. His last name is James.
"Make sure you're windows and doors are locked." He says.
"Ok.. Thanks.." I say and quickly stand. He looks up at me and smiles.
"Anytime Amy. My office is just down the street if you need anything."
I nod and leave, crossing the road to work.
When I finally finish work I call my friend Lisa to ask if she can stay with me tonight. Since she agreed, I promised her a lot of sweeties and a movie. All I've thought about today is Theo. It was so nice just having some one sitting there with me, taking my mind of what happened this morning, until he brought it up of course.
I sit all the snacks on the livingroom table and hear the door bell. I open it, and Lisa comes in hugging me.
"Hey girl!" She shouts a little too loudly.
"Hey. Why are you so happy?" I ask as I close the door, locking it.
"Oh you know.. Got myself a new boyfriend!" I laugh.
Lisa has been miserable since she and her ex broke up around a month ago. She hates being single. She went out with Sean and I dated Max, we broke up a month ago as well. Lisa hasn't seen or heard from Sean since, but max is always calling, or accidently bumps into me close to my work. He wants me back, but I dont like him like that anymore.
"Oh my! You got enough food here to feed an elephant, Amy!" She says as she tears open a bag of chips.
"Yeah I guess I went a little overboard. So who's the guy?" I ask, sitting next to her.
"He's Allan. He's so dreamy!" She takes a bite of her chips. "And.. He's a scientist! He does.. Science things. Can you believe it? Me with a scientist?" She asks laughing, still munching on her chips.
"Wow.. Do you know what kind of science?" I ask. She shakes her head. "Jeez!" I whisper.
"So how was your day? And what did you say on the phone about someone breaking in?" She asks.
After explaining to Lisa what happened she looks a little terrified.
"Please tell me you didn't pick a horror movie.." She says.
"I picked Titanic. I'm not stupid! Thanks for staying here with me. It was actually a cop who suggested I have someone here with me."
"Oh so you've been to the police?" She asks.
"No.. I met this guy in the coffee shop this morning. He's a FBI Agent! He gave me his card and suggested someone stay here. Oh, and I need to check the windows." I say, rushing over to the window.
"Don't worry Hun I'll karate chop anyone who tries to break in!"