Stalked

Chapter 20

Amy and Theo walk side by side down the street. Being out in the open like this, Amy feels a little jumpy. She looks around, eyeing up potential stalkers.

"What's with you?" Theo asks as they cross the road.

"Nothing. I guess I'm a little paranoid.." She admits. "Never mind." She says, shaking her head.

"I don't think this guy knows where you live now. So I doubt he's watching." Theo says, keeping her mind at ease.

"So what kinda stuff does your little sister like?" Amy asks. Theo sighs, thinking about it.

"To tell the truth, I have no clue."

"Really? Do you see her often?" Amy curiously asks.

"No I don't. Every time I'm over there I need to keep my mouth shut. I hate how my mother treats her, like she was born to be something big. My mother has her going to every dance class that's going. Every acting class, every karate club, you name it, Alexa goes."

"Does Alexa enjoy it?" Amy asks as she glances at the shop windows.

"I don't think she does. She's not allowed to hang out with friends. She's not even allowed to wear make up."

"Jeez. That sucks. Vanity is out of the question then." Amy adds, spotting a make up kit behind the shop window.

"How long do we have to pick a present?" Amy asks, already struggling with an idea.

"Uh, it's 9:30 so, four hours or so." Theo looks at his watch. "What about this." He points.

"Are you kidding?" Amy asks, laughing. "It's a doll house." She says, looking at him questingly.

"Too old?" He asks. Amy nods. "Damn..." He whispers.

"Just keep walking. I'm sure we'll find something."

"Oh crap.." Theo mutters. Amy look at him cowering away.

"What's with you?" She asks.

"Theo?" Amy hears a voice. Looking over, she recognises her. Mel.

"Hey, Mel!" Theo says, pretending to act surprised. Mel glances at amy, looking her up and down.

"What's going on? What're you doing out I thought you were at work today?" She asks, glaring at Amy.

"Yeah I am, In an hour." Theo lies. "This is Amy. You both met at dinner, couple weeks ago?" Theo reminds Mel.

"Hi again." Amy says, waving.

"Hi.." Mel replies, her eyes glaring from Amy's to Theo's, searching for answers.

"So.. What're you two up to?" Mel asks, faking a smile.

Amy secretly wishes that Theo doesn't tell her she is helping him find a present for his sister. Before Amy can find an excuse, Theo interrupts.

"Just, working. Amy is staying at the safe house.. I'm just making sure that she gets to work safely."

"Oh, so.. You are staying with him, at the safe house?" Mel asks, looking at Amy.

"Uh huh.." Amy answers, nodding. Feeling awkward, Amy turns to look at the shoes in the shop window. Hearing them both whispering, she hears Mel.

"You didn't tell me you were staying with a girl!" Mel snaps.

"It's my job.. She's just a case, that's all."

Just a case? Amy repeats his words in her head. The nice Theo didn't last long. And Amy's patience is wearing thin. After more whispering, Mel finally leaves.

Theo looks up, sighing as Mel finally leaves. He glances at Amy, mouthing sorry to her. Her eyes stare at him, shaking her head. She walks off, ahead of him, folding her arms.

"What i do?" He asks, catching up.

"Nothing.." She mumbles.

As they walk in silence, Theo wonders what he's done wrong.

"What about a watch? This one is nice." Amy points to the gold watch. She doesn't look up at Theo.

"Yeah.. It's nice. I guess I could get her a watch and jewellery, right?" He asks, looking at Amy. Amy shrugs, nodding her head as she looks at the other watches. One watch catches her eye, and Theo spots.

"Nice." He says. Amy glances at Theo. "the watch you're eyeing up.. It's nice." He points.

"Yeah.. It is. So are you getting her this one?" Amy asks.

"I guess. Come on." Amy follows Theo into the jewellers. After paying for the gold watch and matching earrings and a necklace, they both leave.

"That was easy." He says, holding up the bag n

"Hah. Now you have to wrap it." Amy jokes.

"I thought that was your job?" He asks, bumping his shoulder into Amy's, teasing. Even though she's angry, Amy can't help but laugh.

"Well well well. Theo!" Amy hears the man say, approaching us with open arms. He slaps Theo's back, smiling. A lady stands with him, she smiles, looking thrilled to see Amy. Wondering who they are, Amy waits for an introduction.

"Tom, Emma. What're you two up to?"

"Oh Emma wanted to go shopping..." Tom rolls his eyes. Emma slaps his arm.

"We have to go shopping because someone was working late last night and promised to make it up to me." She says, raising her eyebrow at Tom.

"Yeah. My bad.. So.." Tom says, looking at Amy. "Are you gonna introduce us?" He asks Theo.

"Oh, sorry. Amy, this is Tom his wife Emma. Tom and I go way back."

Amy shakes toms hand, and then Emma's

"Nice to meet you both." Amy says.

"You too. We actually saw you at Christopher's party, right Tom?" Emma asks.

"Oh yeah, I thought you looked familiar." Tom adds.

"Oh, I wouldn't remember. I was a little tipsy that night.." Amy jokes. Remembering what happened after the party, she pushes the thought to the back of her mind.

Theo feels embarrassed knowing that Tom and Emma know exactly who she is. Tom eyes the little white gift bag in Theo's hand.

"Oh, gift for my little sister." He says, holding up the bag. "Amy was helping me choose."

"Oh..." Tom mutters, looking confused.

Theo didn't tell Tom he's staying at the safe house with Amy. In Fact he's not really been in touch with him. Seeing the confused look both their faces, Theo feels he should explain.

"I've been assigned to protect Amy.. We're both staying at a safe house. So.. Yeah." Theo blurts out. Amy looks at him inquisitively.

"Really? A safe house? What's that like?" Emma asks, pulling a concerned expression.

"Oh it's not what you think. It's amazing. It's a huge penthouse." Amy says. Emma laughs and holds her chest with her hand, relieved.

"Oh thank god! Can we check this place out?" Emma asks, gently tapping Theo's arm.

"Come round anytime." Theo offers. As the three of them talk, Amy eyes Tom and Emma. Tom looks a lot older than Theo. his hair grey, he's tall, has light blue eyes and grey stubble. Emma is stunning. She's tall like Tom. Her dark brown skin glows. Her jet black hair cropped to her shoulders, her red summery flowing dress blowing from the light breeze.

"So if you guys ain't busy. We were gonna grab some breakfast. Care to join?" Tom asks, holding Emma's back.

Amy hesitates, not sure what to do. She looks up at Theo, who seems to be doing the same.

"Uh.. I guess. We've finished shopping so, yeah?" He asks, looking down at Amy. Amy smiles, nodding at Theo.

"Great. Let's go." Tom says.

Amy quietly sighs. She didn't think she'd be stuck having breakfast with Theo and his friends. Once ordered, Theo and Tom leave the table to speak to a friend they spotted in the restaurant.

"So, Amy. Tell me the truth.." Emma says. Resting her chin on the back of her hand. "What's it like living with Theo? Is he messy?"

"No, actually he's not. He's pretty clean.."

"Good.. So how are you? I'm guessing since you're in a safe house that.. Well.. You're not so safe?" She asks.

"I guess I'm not." Amy says, shrugging.

"You will be with Theo, though. He's good at his job. May be an idiot sometimes, but good."

Theo and Tom return to the table. Theo sits next to Amy, and across is Emma and Tom.

Amy can't help but feel like she's on a double date.

"So how did you and Tom meet?" Amy asks as their food arrives. Amy ordered Egg Benedict.

"We met at a bar, didn't we sweetie?" Emma asks Tom, taking a bite of bacon.

"We sure did. Thanks to Theo." Tom smirks. Amy sees Theo's face going red.

"What?" Amy asks, laughing at the colour of his face.

"Go on, tell her." Tom teases. Theo sits back, shaking his head.

"I'm not telling this story." Theo says, through laughing.

"Fine. I'll tell it. I love telling people this story!" Tom says. Emma laughs, covering her face. Feeling intrigued, Amy can't wait to hear the story,

"So, two years ago Theo and I went out to this bar. We had a few beers watched the game. So, I went to the bathroom and when I came back, Theo was talking to a girl, Emma." He points. Amy can sense Theo's embarrassment.

"So he was busy giving her the usual chat up lines, and I sat on my own and watched the rest of the game. So Theo comes back, with her phone number. He's like, oh I got that hot girls number, look at those legs, she's a babe." Amy chuckles, watching Emma's reaction.

"So he drank a little more, got a little drunker and walked back over to Emma. But it wasn't Emma, it was some other chick. He started talking from where he and Emma left off, and he got slapped."

"That was so funny! What did you say to her?" Emma asks laughing.

"I have no idea. I still don't remember."

"And Emma was standing behind him this whole time.. So then Theo turns to Emma and goes.. Oh.. Wrong chick, and them Emma slaps him."

"Two slaps in one night?" Amy asks, giggling.

"So I swooped in and apologised on his behalf and now we're married!" Tom kisses Emma's hand.

Theo pinches the bridge of his nose, laughing.

"Happy now? You've embarrassed me, again!" Theo moans, eating his breakfast.

"It was pretty funny.." Tom admits.

"How do you and Theo know each other?" Amy asks.

The table turns silent. Theo and Tom stare at one another, Tom hesitating.

"Uh.. Through a friend of a friend." Tom says.

Theo nods, staring at his plate. Odd, Amy thinks.

"Anyway, Amy. What do you do?" Emma asks.

"I'm a photographer for a magazine company."

"Wow, that sounds interesting. What kind of pictures do you take?" She asks.

"Oh, you know.. Boring stuff. Rich people, pictures of the countryside, rich houses.. Couples.. Whatever the magazine is writing about."

"Still, it sounds interesting."

"What about you, Emma?" Amy asks, curious.

"I'm a hairdresser. I own my own salon, actually."

"Really? Where?" Amy asks.

"You know 74th Street? It's called Glam me up. You should pop by."

"I will.. I've been kind of bored of my hair recently."

"Well, here's my card hunni. You just call me anytime you want something done."

"Awe, thank you." Amy takes her card. Suddenly Theo's phone rings.

"Hello?" He asks. "Mel.."

He turns on his chair, turning away from us. Amy rolls her eyes.

"No I'm having breakfast with friends.. No. I told you, she's just a case, that's all.. No we're not friends.. Just working with her till the case is over with." He whispers down the phone.

Amy sits back, dropping her fork on her plate, hearing it clatter.

"Ok.. Bye." He hangs up.

"Excuse me." Amy says, getting up and heading to the bathroom.

"Real smooth, Theo." Emma says, throwing her napkin down and following Amy.

"What I do this time?" Theo asks, watching as Emma follows Amy to the bathroom. Theo looks at Tom, who is shaking his head.

"You're an idiot.." Tom mutters.

---

Amy stares into the mirror. When the bathroom door swings open, she pretends to look for something in her purse. Emma stands next to Amy. She pulls a red lipstick from her purse, applying it as she looks in the mirror.

"Are you ok?" Emma asks, closing the lipstick.

"Mmhmm. Just tired," Amy says, spraying some perfume.

"Don't listen to Theo.." She says, watching Amy through the mirror. Sighing, Amy closes her purse.

"It's hard not to." She admits.

"He doesn't mean it." Emma explains. "He just likes to put up a front, that's all."

"But this morning I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt. He clearly didn't want to do this, but he told me his boss made him. So, we kept fighting and then this morning I realised that he has put aside everything to look out for me. And.. I guess I just have to respect that. But it's hard sometimes. That's twice today he called 'a case'."

"He's just.. Theo..." Emma says. She folds her arms, and stares at Amy questingly.

"What?" Amy asks.

"Why don't we get out of here?" She asks. "Just me and you. I can do your hair?"

"But Theo probably won't allow it.." Amy says, sounding like a child.

"Oh screw him! Come on." She takes Amy's hand, pulling her. As they both approach the table, Emma and Amy pick up their coats.

"Ok guys. We are going out, so.. Later." Emma says, pulling Amy by the hand.

"Wait, what?" Theo asks, standing and following them. "Hold on a sec." He grabs Amy's other hand, stopping them both. Amy turns to face him. The sun shining through the windows brings out his brown eyes. He stands, looking confused and eyeing Amy for answers. Still holding her hand, he looks at Emma.

"We're just going out for a while, that's all. She'll be fine." Emma says, letting go of her hand. Emma discretely watches as Theo holds Amy's hand. Theo looks back at Amy with worry In his eyes. After being told off by Tom because of what he told Mel, Theo tries to find a way to apologise. But the words don't come out. As they both stand looking at one another, Amy looks away and loosens his grip on her hand. Theo's hand falls to his side. Emma leans to the left, looking over at Tom still sitting at the table, watching Theo.

"I shouldn't let you go but.. I can't stop you. Just call.."

"Call you every hour. Got it." Amy interrupts, turning to face Emma. They both leave, and Theo sits back down.

"So. What was that all about?" Tom asks, leaning forward.

"Oh they said they're going out for a while." Theo says, looking back at them leaving.

"I didn't mean that.." Tom says, eyeing as Theo looks at him unaware of what he's talking about.

---

"So. What do you want?" Emma asks and Amy sits on the seat. Emma combs through her hair.

"Well. I've been kinda wanting to be blonde again."

"You a natural blonde?" Emma asks.

"Uh huh."

"Ok then.. Let's get started."

An hour passes and Amy is sitting with foils in her hair. She picks up her phone, staring at it. Knowing that it's been an hour and she promised to call Theo, she hesitates. Suddenly, the phone gets taken from her hand. Emma holds it, pressing a button and holding the phone up to her ear.

"Theo it's Emma. Amy is fine, she's with me." Amy smiles at Emma's kind gesture. Emma returns the smile, hanging up and handing her the phone.

"Thank you.." Amy says.

"Don't worry about it hunni. I know what he's like. You have every right to be mad at him!"

---

Theo slides his phone in his pocket, confused.

"Well?" Tom asks as they walk.

"Emma called instead. I guess Amy was busy." Theo says, not even believing it.

"Yeah.. Right." Tom says, laughing under his breath.

"What?" Theo asks, impatient.

"Nothing. I just think that there's a lot more to this than protecting her." Tom admits. Theo stops walking, staring at Tom, not believing what he just heard.