Stalked

Chapter 21

Theo walks ahead off Tom into the apartment.

"I'm just saying.." Tom finishes. "I think you need to be a little nicer.."

Theo sighs as he takes off his coat, sitting it on the sofa.

"I thought I was being nice, asking her to come out shopping.. Wasn't i?" Theo asks. Not understanding where Tom is coming from, he walks into the kitchen with Tom following him.

"You want a water?" He asks Tom.

"Sure." Tom sits down on the stool at the counter, and Theo sits across from him.

"I don't get it. What did I say that was so offensive?" Theo asks.

"You told Mel that you and Amy aren't friends.. And she's just part of the case?"

Theo thinks about it while he takes a sip of water.

"I didn't think Amy would wanna be friends.."

"I don't know if she does, but it wouldn't hurt to try to get along while in this situation." Tom says furiously.

"Jeez.. Calm down." Theo says, raising an eyebrow.

"I'm trying to help. Are you taking her to See Alexa?"

Theo looks at Tom questingly. Laughing under his breath, he wonders if he heard him right.

"Why would I take her?" Theo asks.

"Because it's a nice thing to do? Because, she helped pick the present? And maybe you know.. To be kind."

Tom glares at Theo as he sips his water.

"I'll say it again Theo. You're an idiot.."

---

"God you look gorgeous!" Emma squeals, fixing Amy's bouncy hair.

"Wow.. I feel weird being blonde again." Amy says as she touches her hair, feeling now smooth and silky it feels.

"You hunni are gonna turn some heads.." Emma winks.

"Hah.. I'm not allowed to date. Theo's words, not mine." Amy tells Emma as she picks up her handbag.

"He said what now?" Emma asks as they both grab their coats.

"He advised that it's not a good idea because anybody is a suspect. I guess he's right.."

"Really?" Emma asks. "But he's allowed to date? Men.." Emma rolls her eyes.

"Hey do you wanna come out tomorrow with my Lisa and I? I'm taking advantage of the perks of being under protection. A driver will be taking us wherever we wish to go." Amy clicks her fingers.

"Hell yeah!" Emma sticks out her tongue."I would love to!"

As they arrive at the apartment, they enter the elevator. Looking in the mirror, amy still cant believe how blonde she is. She tugs at her clothes, pulling her skin tight jeans up, and pulling her top down a little underneath her leather coat.

"You look hot!" Emma says, pointing. Amy laughs, feeling embarrassed.

"What? You do!" Emma tells her again.

Once the elevator reaches the floor, Amy types in the password.

"Very fancy.." Emma says, pointing to the keypad.

"Just wait till you see the digs." Amy says. "Ta da.." She sings as the doors open.

"Oh my god! I can't believe you get to live here! Why can't I have a stalker?" Emma asks, tapping Amy's arm. Laughing, Amy leads the way to the living room.

"They must be in the kitchen." Amy says, seeing Theo's coat on the sofa.

"I need to go to the bathroom. I'm bursting! Kitchen is through there!" Amy points as Emma wonders around aimlessly.

---

"Hey hunni. Where did you go?" Tom asks, kissing Emma's cheek.

"I took Amy to my salon. Gave her a little make over." Emma glares at Theo.

"Don't worry, I talked to him." Tom says, also glaring.

"What?" Theo asks, holding up his hands innocently.

"You know what!" Emma snaps. "No more being an ass." She points. Theo sighs, sitting back in his stool. Hearing Amy in the hall, Emma shouts for her,

"Hey Amy. Come show the guys your new look!" Emma shouts.

Amy walks in, and at first Theo doesn't recognise her. He has to take a double take.

"Wow. Your hair!" Tom says, touching the ends of Amy's hair. Amy smiles at Tom and Emma.

Theo's mind is racing. His heart beating faster, and his legs feeling week, he hopes no one notices. Speechless, Amy looks at him. Say something.. He thinks.

"That's.. Nice." He says. Amy's smile fades, she looks at Tom and Emma confusingly.

"Thanks.." She says, leaving the kitchen.

Tom looks at Theo, mouthing silently the words Theo just spoke. Theo shrugs nervously. Emma sighs as she follows Amy.

"The hell was that?" Tom whispers to Theo.

"I don't know man.. I panicked."

"You panicked? Since when did you panic? You're going a little red, Theo..." Tom points at his face, sniggering.

"Am not!" Theo slaps his hand away.

"I think Emma and I should leave you two alone." Tom jokes, Theo shoving him out the way.

"Emma, let's go.."

"I'll see you tomorrow?" Emma asks, hugging Amy.

"Yeah. Thank you so much!" Amy whispers in Emma's ear.

"Tomorrow? What's happening tomorrow?" Theo asks, curiously.

"Girls day out." Amy reminds him. "With Lisa."

"Oh, right. I'll call the driver in the morning." Theo remembers.

"I guess if you guys are going out then I'll come here? Get comfortable in the new place." Tom says as he claps his hands together, looking around.

"Why not.." Theo says. He eyes Amy as she says goodbye to Emma. He doesn't want to be left alone with her, afraid he'll say something stupid. He looks at his watch, he should be leaving soon for Alexa's birthday.

Tom and Emma leave, and Amy and Theo stand silently across from one another. He watches as she fidgets, her eyes searching the room. The blonde hair makes her eyes look emerald green rather than blue.

"Your hair looks really good by the way." He says, more calmly.

"Thank you." She whispers. She smiles, turning away from him to go to her bedroom. Knowing that she's still angry with him, Theo says the first words that come to mind.

"Alexa...." He blurts out. Amy turns, eyeing Theo with a confused expression.

"No, I'm Amy..." She corrects him.

"No I meant.. Do you wanna come?" He asks, finally.

"To your parents house?" She asks, her voice full of surprise.

"Yeah.. I don't do well at these parties.. I make an ass of myself with my mother. We always start fighting. But if you were there.. You could.. Drag me away from that. Distract me.." He says, pulling at straws. His breathing becomes heavy. And he hopes Amy doesn't hear it.

Amy feels speechless. She wonders why he's asked her. Does he feel guilty?

"I don't know, Theo.. Maybe we'll be the ones who'll fight.." She says honestly. She turns and walks into her bedroom.

Now Theo is the one who is speechless. She just turned him down. Ladies never turn him down. He feels frustrated , annoyed that he even asked her. But Toms words are going through his head. Be nice. Be a friend. Invite her. Be kind. Now that he has invited her, and she's turned him down he feels furious. He looks again at his watch. He has some time to get ready. He changes into a black fitted t-shirt and blue jeans. He sprays some cologne and puts his shoes on. Wondering if he should try again, he approaches her closed bedroom door. He decides against it and turns to walk away. But Amy opens her door, seeing him standing there aimlessly.

"What're doing?" Amy asks.

Theo stutters, his words all jumbled.

"I just.. Thought that your might have changed your mind.." He says, thankful he got the words out, in order.

"No.. I haven't. Have fun." She says, walking past him and into the kitchen. She opens the fridge door, taking a bottle of water. She turns, seeing Theo blocking her way.

"Excuse me.." She says politely, trying to push past him.

"I'm sorry!" He snaps. Amy looks stunned as her eyes meet his.

"Alright? I'm sorry. I should never have said that to Mel. It was selfish and idiotic of me. Ok?" He stands with his hands in his pockets, waiting for her answer.

As he stares at her, her eyes meet his. She looks at those dark brown eyes against his black eyelashes. He looks sincere, she thinks. Struggling to stay angry, she looks away from his eyes.

"Do you wanna be friends? Because I don't know where we stand, especially if we keep fighting..." Theo says, taking the plunge.

"I don't know. Maybe. It's just hard when you say things like that." Amy admits as she walks to the other side of the counter.

"I know. I didn't mean it. Friends?" He asks, holding out his hand. Amy watches as he holds out his hand for her to shake.

"I guess.. Friends." She shakes his hand. As they shake hands, it feels like it's going on forever. Theo stares, her blonde hair sitting perfectly against her face. The curls bouncy, and her eyes almost glowing. He feels the electricity between their hands and wonders if Amy feels it too. She eyes him carefully, wondering why he hasn't pulled away his hand yet. Suddenly his phone rings, making Theo jump and pull his hand away from Amy's.

"Yeah?" He asks. "Mom. Yeah I'll be over soon. I'm bringing a friend by the way." He tells her, making Amy slap his arm.

"No!" She whispers, trying to grab the phone. He walks backwards, Amy following him as she goes up on her tip toes to grab the phone. He holds his hand on her shoulder, keeping her back.

"Yeah. Bye mom." He hangs up. "Hah!" He teases, putting his phone down.

"I can't believe you did that!" Amy snaps, pouting her lips. She's had a sense that it seems to work on him.

"Oh no.. It's not gonna work. If I have to suffer through this, then you are too. It's what FRIENDS do!" He laughs, watching Amy's reaction.

"Oh you're an ass.." She whispers as she goes to her bedroom to get changed,

As she quickly looks through her wardrobe, she looks for something that will go with her hair. She finds a white summer dress with a design of tiny blue flowers that sits above her knees. She puts it on and wraps a thin blue belt around her waist. Slipping on her white sandals, she grabs her handbag and a light blue denim jacket. Quickly looking through her make up bag she applies some pink lipgloss, mascara and blusher.

"Ok, ready." She shouts as she leaves her bedroom.

"That was qui..." Theo begins to say. He stops, watching as Amy puts on her jacket "wow.." He mutters.

Amy stops, looking over at Theo questingly.

"What?" She asks.

"Nothing. You look nice." He quickly corrects himself. "Do you think I should change?" He asks, tugging at his black t-shirt."

"Why? You look fine." She asks.

"You look all summer like.. And I look dark.."

"Hmm.." Amy mumbles as she stands and looks at his shirt. "I guess you could change into a white shirt?" Theo runs into his room, changing into a white t-shirt with a v neck.

"Better?" He asks, putting on his coat.

"Much better." Amy smiles. Theo walks ahead of Amy to the elevator.

"Forgetting something?" Amy asks, picking up Alexa's gift that Theo wrapped. She's surprised he remembered to even wrap it.

"Oh.. Crap. See, that's why you're coming. To keep me right!" He says, taking the gift.