Stalked

Chapter 22

As Theo drives to his parents home, Amy can feel the tension. She glances at him as his eyes focus on the road ahead. He looks deep in thought, nervous and anxious all at the same time. Theo's head turns to face Amy, catching her stare. Quickly looking away, she stares out the window at the suburb town.

"What?" He asks inquisitively.

"You look nervous, that's all. Are you ok?" Amy asks.

"I guess I'm a little apprehensive. Like I said, my mother and I don't get on so well."

"Well.. If you feel things getting heated then just give me a signal. Like..." Amy holds up her hands, making weird hand gestures.

"What was that?" Theo asks, laughing at her attempt.

"I'm trying to make up a hand signal." She explains, sticking out her tongue as she concentrates on creating his rescue signal. Laughing, he wishes he could keep his eyes on her as he drives.

"You're crazy.." He says as he shakes his head, grinning.

"Well you suggest something!" She snaps, playfully hitting his arm.

"Uh. How about.. A cough?" He asks.

"Mmm..no I don't like that one. Oh, how about a head scratch?" She asks, scratching her head.

Theo laughs so hard he feels the car slowing down.

"What if I have itchy head? It's not exactly a signal if my head is actually itchy.." He grins as Amy sits deep in thought, thinking of something new.

"How about I just pull an angry face?" He asks, liking the idea.

"Hm.. That's a hard one. You always look angry.." Amy admits.

"Hey!" Theo sounds hurt. He pushes her gently, feeling her hair brush over his hand.

"Well you kinda do.. You look very moody sometimes. Maybe just a rub on the nose?" She asks.

"On your nose?" He asks, playing.

"Oh ha ha!" She fakes a laugh as she shrugs it off.

"Ok, I'll rub my nose." He says, feeling relived that she's here to help him through it. "We're here."

Theo pulls in to the side of the street as the driveway is full.
Getting out of the car, theo and Amy walk side by side as they head for the front door which has balloons taped to it. Theo takes a deep breath before knocking the door, and slowly opening it. Suddenly feeling nervous, Amy follows him. Surprised that the room isn't full of people, Amy's nerves subside.

"Alexa.." Theo yells as she hadn't noticed him coming in. "Happy birthday!" He greets her as she calls his name and running for him. As they both cuddle, Amy notices a lady sitting on the sofa , eyeing Theo as he hugs his little sister.

"Here you go." Theo gives her the present. With Amy standing behind him, Theo turns, placing his hand on Amy's back.

"This is Amy.. Amy, meet Alexa."

"Happy birthday." Amy says, hugging Alexa.

"Thank you. I love your dress!" Alexa smiles as she looks back at Theo.

"I haven't seen you in like forever!" Alexa moans, still holding her gift.

"I know, I'm sorry.." Theo apologises. He looks over at the lady on the sofa.

"Mother. This is Amy.. Amy, my mother Carol." Amy nervously smiles as carol stands, approaching her. She shakes her hand, much to Amy's surprise. Amy eyes her, looking to see the resemblance. She has black hair, her eyes brown like her sons.

"Nice to meet you, Amy. And Theo, nice of you to turn up!" She snap, turning away from him.

Theo sighs and looks down at the floor.

"Too early to rub my nose?" He whispers to Amy. Laughing under her breath, Amy gives them a sympathetic look.

"Dad, nice to see you." Theo nods in his fathers direction. His father, sat down reading the newspaper, only grumbles and nods towards Theo, not taking his eyes from the paper. Amy can see that Theo gets his looks from his father. His father has brown hair with grey streaks. His skin is tanned, and his eyes brown. Turning her attention back to Alexa, she watches as she unwraps her present.

"Wow! I love it!" She squeals as she hugs Theo. She them cuddles Amy. And Amy is shocked at how friendly she is.

"When will you wear them?" Carol asks, her face looking disgusted.

"She can wear them whenever she wants, right Alexa?" Theo asks. Alexa grins as she puts on her new watch. She eyes the jewellery, grinning from ear to ear.

"So. Where are your friends?" Theo asks.

Alexa's grin fades as she looks over at her mother.

"I wasn't allowed my friends over." She mumbles.

Theo glares daggers at Carol.

"Why?" He asks, knowing the answer.

"She is too busy for friends." Carol snaps.

"Too busy? It's her birthday.." Theo explains. Watching as Alexa sits on the sofa.

"She has her homework soon, big test next week for school. No distractions. You know this, Theo."

"Yeah. A little too well.." Theo whispers.

Amy feels uncomfortable, feeling the tension in the room. She looks around, no decorations up, Alexa dressed in black jeans and a black tank top. Her hair tied back, she looks pale and upset. Amy sits next to her and lifts the necklace from the jewellery box. She places it round her neck, watching Alexa's face light up.

"You really suit it." Amy cheers her up.

Theo watches as Alexa and Amy both talk. Carol leaves the room, with Theo following.

"So. Who is she?" Carol asks.

"She? You mean Amy?" He asks sarcastically. "She's.." Rather than saying she's on the case, he quickly stops himself. "She's a friend."

"A very pretty friend." Carol says. Theo raises an eyebrow. He has never heard his mother say anything nice about the girls he's had in his life, expect Jennifer. And he knows his mother is just waiting to bring her up.

"Heard from Jennifer?" She asks as she slices some birthday cake.

"Why did I have a feeling you were going to ask that?" He asks, watching her cut the cake.

"Well, have you?"

"No. Not in a while. And I'm happy for that. You should be too."

"She was a nice girl.." Carol pushes.

"Mom.. Stop it. You do this every time." She hands him two plates with cake.

"For you and Amy." She says, nudging him out the kitchen. Sighing, he walks into the living room, handing Amy some cake.

"Can I get a piece?" Alexa asks

"I thought you already had some?" Theo asks. Alexa shakes her head, glaring at her mother.

"She isn't allowed. She has dance class in two days. No junk food." Carol moans as she walks back into the kitchen.

Amy notices the look on Theo's face. She sits her plate down, gently rubbing Alexa's shoulder. Walking over to Theo, she grabs his arm and pulls him as she walks towards the front door. Stepping outside, she closes the door behind them.

"You ok?" She asks, still holding on to his arm.

---

Theo feels the relief as he stands outside with Amy, thankful that she's here.

"She's driving me crazy." He moans as he sits on the step. Amy sits next to him, anxiously placing her hand on his back.

"What happened?" Amy asks.

Not wanting to speak about Jennifer, he decides not to tell her.

"It doesn't matter. She's just being annoying. How's Alexa?" He asks.

"She's ok, bit sad. I feel so bad for her." Amy says as she pulls her hand away. "Hey, I was thinking.." She says, not sure of his reaction.

"Yeah?" He asks, facing her. Amy looks at him, his brown eyes staring into hers. Almost forgetting what she was going to say, Amy smiles and looks away.

"What?" He asks, noticing her smile. He chuckles at her embarrassment.

Truth be told, Amy felt shivers running down her spine as he looked at her. She could feel her face going red, she had to look away before she laughed a like a little school girl who has a crush.

"Nothing.. I have an idea. What if Alexa came to stay with us tomorrow? She could come out with me, Lisa and Emma. Girly day out, girly night in.."

Theo picks at the grass as he considers it. He never spends time with Alexa. Maybe now is the right time.

"I guess.. I'll have to ask the witch.." He smirks, standing up. "I'll ask later."

Theo goes into the kitchen where his mother is.

"Theo. I meant to tell you that Jennifer is having a little get together soon. She wanted to know if you'd go.."

"God, mom! How many times? Jennifer and I are over. We were over a long time ago.." Theo snaps as he leans on the counter.

"She made a mistake.. Surely you can forgive that.." Carol asks.

"No. I can't. Anyway. I need to ask you something." Theo gestures for her to do follow him into the living room.

Alexa and Amy look up as theo and carol appear. Amy heard Theo getting upset with his mother. She heard him mention a girl called Jennifer, curious, Amy wonders who she is.

"Amy and I were wondering if Alexa can stay at our place, tomorrow." Theo asks.

"Oh my god! Really?!" Alexa asks, holding Amy's hand.

"Absolute not. She has an assignment she has to finish for school." Carol refuses.

"Mom, please!" Theo snaps. "Shes sixteen and you haven't invited any of her friends round. Let her be a Sixteen year old!"

"I told you, she has homework. She really struggles with French.. She needs to study."

Theo grins, his head quickly turning in Amy's direction. Without saying a word, Theo walks over to where Amy and Alexa are sitting. He kneels on the floor, across from Alexa.

"You really struggle with French?" He asks, smug.

"Yeah.. I'm hopeless at it." Alexa moans.

"Hey, Amy.. Uh.. How do you say happy birthday in French?" Theo asks.

"Joyeux anniversaire." Amy blurts out.

Alexa gasps.

"And uh.. How do you say... Would you like to stay at ours tomorrow night?"

"Voudrais vous comme a rester a la notre demain?" Amy asks. Theo watches as she effortlessly speaks another language.

"You speak French??" Alexa shouts, excitedly.

"Not only does she speak French, she is French!" Theo adds, watching the excitement in Alexa's face. Theo turns to his mother. Her arms folded across her chest, she stares.

"Fine! And you two are living together?" She asks.

"Yeah. Long story." Theo says, avoiding her stare.