Stalked

Chapter 24

After searching high and low for evidence that max is the person they are looking for, all they found were ladies underwear. A lot of them.

"I think he's just a typical stalker, in my opinion." Andrews adds as they drive back to the station together.

"Is there any such thing as a typical stalker?" Theo asks, raising an eyebrow.

"Well, you get different types. The ones who watch their ex's, follows them around. Others that break in and steal.. Panties. And then the more dangerous ones, like the one we're looking for."

"I guess."

"So, how is it?" Andrews asks.

"How's what?" Asks Theo.

"Living with her."

Theo shrugs his shoulders as he turns the corner.

"It's fine." Theo snaps. "And by the way. If I ever catch you making fun of evidence like that again, you'll wish you didn't." Theo warns him, glaring at him from the corner of his eye.

"It was just a bit of fun. We need that in this job, don't you think?"

"Not in cases like this we don't. This is serious. Amy could have been badly hurt. And this guy is still after it."

"Yea yeah.." Andrews moans, rolling his eyes.

---

Feeling her fingers turn pruney, Amy realises that she's been in the bathtub for over an hour. Since moving in she's only been for showers. After today, she felt like having a relaxing bubble bath. Only it wasn't as relaxing as shed hoped. The thought of max crossed her mind, how long had he been following her? Feeling weirded out, Amy climbs out the huge bathtub. She still can't believe she's living here, as she looks around the big bathroom. She slides on her bath robe and walks into the kitchen to get a glass of water. She wonders where Theo is, maybe he's still at work. The clock reads 8:30pm and he still hasn't showed.

"Ugh my head." She mumbles as she takes paracetamol. Quickly grabbing her body moisturiser from her bedroom, Amy walks over to the sofa, turning on the tv and resting her legs on the coffee table as she opens the moisturiser bottle. As she squeezes it on her hand, Amy hears the elevator doors open and close. She's still, not sure what mood he's in as he appears.

---

Driving home feels like a big relief for Theo. After more questioning, more reports, more paperwork, theo was free to finish for the night. Frustrated that max isn't the one they're looking for, Theo tries to push back the thoughts of what happened today. Whilst in the elevator he loosens his tie and runs his fingers through his messy hair. Feeling and looking rough, all he wants to do is shower. He types in the passcode and walks into the living room. He stops, noticing Amy on the sofa. Her legs resting on the coffee table, she's just ready to rub moisturiser on her legs. Quietly he sighs, diverting his eyes. This is all I need, he thinks.

"Hi.. You're back." Amy says. "Long day then?" She asks, applying the lotion on her legs. Still not looking, Theo sits down and kicks off his shoes with a moan of relief.

"Yeah, very." He tells her, sitting back. Since her back is facing him, Theo steals a quick peak at her legs. She rubs the lotion on her left leg. And as she reaches her thigh, her robe falls to the left slightly, revealing a scar on her upper thigh. Curious, Theo wonders where it came from.

"Been up to much?" He asks. Amy turns to face him, sitting her legs down again and rubbing the moisturiser into her hands.

"Had a bubble bath.." Amy grins. She rolls up her sleeves and rubs lotion into her arms. Theo can smell it, it smells of roses.

Theo rests his head back on the sofa as he stares up at the ceiling.

"So.. Am I allowed to ask?" Amy asks.

"Huh?" He asks.

"About today.."

"Oh. It's not him. He'll be charged for breaking and entering. You can get a restraining order against him too. All we found were ladies underwear, a lot.."

"Gross.." She mutters.

"I know.."

I still can't believe he's been watching me. It gives me the shivers.." She shakes, sitting back on the sofa next to Theo.

---

The next day feels like a blur to Amy. Having been out with Lisa, Emma and Alexa shopping, she feels on edge. Knowing that max isn't watching her, he can't be, she tries to shake off the thought. But deep down, she's knows that someone else may be watching her. Theo made sure a guard accompanied them. Finding it funny and sad, Amy felt bad for the guard having to follow them around to stores. She also found it funny that Lisa was flirting with him.

As they sit down for lunch, while Steve the guard stands in the corner, Amy looks in her bag for her phone.

"What are you looking for?" Alexa asks as she takes a bite of her Mac and cheese.

"My phone. I need to call your brother."

"Ooooh la la.." Lisa teases. Alexa and Emma both laugh, watching Lisa make weird kissing gestures.

"Oh shut up!" Amy moans as she dials his number.

"Hello." Theo answers.

"Hey it's me. I'm fine. Having lunch."

"Cool.. See you later?"

"Yeah, bye."

They both hang up.

"Wow.. That was so romantic." Lisa jokes. Amy glares at her, throwing her phone back in her bag.

---

Tom and Theo eat pizza and watch the game.

"How do you feel about Emma and Amy being friends?" Theo asks Tom.

"Fine I guess. Why?"

"No reason."

"Hold on a sec. Is this one of your 'can't allow a girl to get too close' kind of thing?" Tom asks.

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"Amy is here, with you.. You are protecting her.. She is out with my wife, your friend..she's already met your family. You're getting scared."

"Don't be ridiculous. How can I be getting scared if we're not even dating?"

"But you secretly.."

"Don't even say it, Tom! I don't want to secretly date her."

"Whatever you say man. But I see the way you look at her."

Thinking that Tom may be right, theo doesn't know what to say.

"Come on, tell me the truth. You can talk to me.." Tom asks, wanting more info.

"I'll admit, it's difficult living with her. She's.. Hot, alright?" Theo admits.

"And... That's it, she's hot?" Tom asks.

"No, not just hot. She's nice, and sweet and funny in her own little way, yet vulnerable.. She's beautiful." Theo daydreams, forgetting that Tom is sitting beside him.

"Uh.. I don't mean beautiful like.. Beautiful.. I just meant.. She's good looking. Anyway.. Moving on." Theo tried to change the subject.

Tom grins, knowing that this might be the start of something special. Maybe Amy, is what Theo needs.

"I have one problem though. I've been slacking off at work. I made a huge mistake yesterday because I wasn't concentrating. She makes me breakfast and dinner and, I guess taking her to my parents house was a mistake.. I'm too distracted. I need her to just, back off a little."

"Are you kidding me? God Theo. One minute you're like, oh she's so beautiful and then the next you're an idiot! You need to make up your mind. You can't be nice one minute, and then be a jerk to her the next. Pick one. And, when have you ever had a girl make you breakfast or dinner, since Jennifer, huh?" Tom asks.

Theo sighs, seeing his point.

"If you didn't want to be distracted, you wouldn't have let it happen." Tom snaps.

Theo's mobile rings.

"Yeah boss?" He answers.

"Theo, I've just been told that you somehow missed that max had previously been accused of stalking?" He snaps.

"Yeah.. I'm sorry boss I don't know how I missed it."

"Your ass should be in here working!!" He yells. Tom watches as Theo silently curses.

"It's my day off.."

"I don't care if it's your day off. You haven't finished that report I asked you to do last week.. I'm still waiting!"

Forgetting, Theo knows he has to go into work today.

"I guess I'll get it done today." He hangs up and throws his phone down.

"Damn!" He yells as he quickly changes.

"What's going on?" Tom asks.

"I need to go to work. That distraction I was telling you about? It could cost me my job!" Theo snaps as she puts his shoes on.

"That distraction is your job, Theo! Don't blame Amy."

"Whatever man."

---

After the driver drops off Lisa and Alexa, she and Emma reach the apartment. Seeing Tom sitting there on his own, he looks annoyed.

"Where's theo?" Amy asks.

"He had to work, Amy. Emma we better go.."

After saying goodbye, Amy wonders why Tom looked unhappy. Her mobile rings.

"Hello?"

"Hi Amy, this is your lawyer, Betty.."

"Oh hi..what's wrong?" Amy asks.

"It's just to let you know that Colin has had early release. He gets out tomorrow."

Amy nearly drops the phone.

"Amy?" Betty asks.

"Yeah. I'm here. Why early?" She asks, confused.

"Good behaviour. There's one other thing.."

"Yeah?" Amy asks, frightened to hear it.

"He is moving in with his parents, which I believe is not too far from your home address."

"It is? I'm not living there at the moment.."

"His parents moved there six months ago. He'll be living there till he finds his own place. If he makes any move towards you, call the police. But I doubt he'd be that stupid."

"Well you don't know him." Amy tells her.

After hanging up, she sits down before she faints. The memories come flooding back. The scar on her leg burns as she thinks of him throwing boiling water on her. Her head aches when she remembers his hits. She feels like going to the one person she knows can protect her, and give her answers. Theo. But rather than calling him, she phones the driver instead and asks to take her to Theo's work.

She walks in quickly, asking at front desk where he is. She walks down the hall, and up some stairs. There she sees him, on the phone.

"How would you know? Look.. I've just been torn to pieces by my boss, alright? He now thinks that I'm not suited to this case. He thinks that I'm deliberately slacking off because I didn't want to move in with Amy. He pointed out all the things I've missed, all the important facts, clues, evidence. It's your fault! You told me to bring her to my parents house, Tom!"

Amy gasps. So this is how he really feels, she thinks.

"I told you! She keeps making breakfast and dinners and being nice and pretty and.. It's just nothing but a f*cking distraction!"

Amy slowly leaves the room and heads back to the driver. As he takes her home, she silently sobs.

"Are you ok miss?" He asks.

"Uh huh.. Thanks for the ride." She says, running to the elevator.

She gets to her bedroom and cries under the covers. Feeling that everything is getting too much, she wants to just leave and never come back. She considers it. She could go back home, to France for a week. Taking a break from the thought, she falls asleep.

Later on, she wakes at 6:30pm. Needing fresh air she goes out into the balcony. Hearing theo arrive home, she tries to keep calm. She wears her leggings with a white baggy jumper. Her hair is scraped back into a bun and it's quite clear that she's been crying. She wishes theo would leave her be, let her stand there. Suddenly standing beside her, theo glances at her. She looks upset, he thinks.

"You ok?" He asks. She hears him loosening his tie.

"I guess."

"Well you don't look it." He states the obvious. "Is anything wrong?" He asks, leaning on the balcony wall, getting a closer look at her.

"Yeah, there is. But I don't think that I should tell you." She stares out to the city, not making eye contact.

"Has he been in contact again, this guy?" He asks.

"No."

Sighing that she's not telling him, theo stands straight and touches her shoulder.

"Don't touch me!" She snaps, shrugging his hand off.

"Amy, you gotta tell me what's wrong." Theo asks, desperate.

"I got a call today. My ex boyfriend? Colin? The one who beat me to a pulp is getting out tomorrow and living just round the corner from my house! And I've to call the police if he tries anything. And I find out that max has been following me and this other lunatic is after me and all I wanted to do was talk to you about it!" She snaps, tears running down her cheek.

"And I get to your office today and you're on the phone to Tom.. I didn't realise I was a such a distraction to you! I'm either too pretty or make too many breakfasts or dinners.. And you feel that sorry for me that you took me to Alexa's party? I'm so sorry that I'm that much of a burden to you!" She yells. She turns to walk back into the apartment.

"Amy wait!" Theo stops her, taking her hand.

"I'm sorry. I was having a bad day.."

"A bad day? Thats always your excuse! And What have you been through? I didn't realise that you were also being followed!! I didn't ask for this, and I certainly didn't ask to be living here with you. And if you're so unhappy then why don't you just leave and get someone else in, huh?" She shouts even louder.

Theo feels terrible. The hurt in her eyes, the tears, the worry in her face

"I'm so.."

"You're so sorry? I don't believe you. Well congratulations theo, I will no longer be a distraction for you! From now on you don't get to speak to me, got it? Oh, and make your own God damn dinner!!" She yells, slamming the balcony sliding doors shut.

Theo stands, feeling out of breath. He's never seen her this angry or upset. Wondering what he should do, he decides to leave her be for tonight. He knows he has blown it with her.