Stalked

Chapter 25

Amy changes into her jeans and jumper, throwing on her jacket and shoes she grabs her bag. As she walks into the living room, she sees Theo sitting on the sofa watching tv. He eyes her as she begins to leave.

"Where are you going?" He asks, getting up to follow her. Standing outside the elevator, Amy lazily turns to face him. Without making too much eye contact, she shakes her head at Theo.

"Out." She abruptly says.

"Out where?"

"Lisa's."

"I'll drive you." He offers.

"I've already called the driver. He's taking me. And I called Steve, he's waiting for me downstairs. Later." She says, pressing the button for the doors to open. Speechless, he stands there just watching as she departs.

"What the hell just happened?" He asks himself.

---

Amy and Lisa sit at her kitchen table with a beer, mulling over what happened today with Theo.

"I can't believe he said that." Lisa says.

"I know.. I don't know what to do.. I went crazy."

"I don't think anyone can blame you. And Colin, what's going on there? Have you told theo what happened?"

Amy holds her beer in her hands, pealing the sticker off the cold bottle.

"No. He didn't react when I told him he was getting out of jail."

"Huh.." Lisa mumbles. "So, what're you going to do when you go back tonight?" Lisa asks.

"Well.. I was thinking I could stay here.."

"Hunni you know that I would love that but I don't think Theo would allow it. No matter how much you hate him right now, he still has to look out for you, remember?" Lisa makes a good point.

"I guess. I'm going to the bathroom. I'll ask Steve if he wants tea or something. Poor Steve." Amy pouts, walking into the living room. Steve is watching basketball.

"Hey Steve, you want anything?" Amy offers.

"Juice if you have any?" He asks.

"Lisa, Steve wants juice!" Amy shouts as she walks to the bathroom.

Before Lisa can grab Steve a juice, she hears a phone ringing on the kitchen counter, Amy's. As she picks it up, looking at the caller ID, she sighs.

"Hi Theo, it's Lisa."

"Hey.. Is she ok?" Theo asks, sounding concerned.

"Yeah, she's great. So great.." Lisa says sarcastically.

"Where is she?" He asks, defensively.

"The bathroom. She's fine, she's safe, she's with Steve and I."

"Ok.. Good. When will she be home?" He asks.

"I don't know. But if I were you I'd stay clear. Very clear.." Lisa warns.

"She still mad? Usually when she talks to you she forgives me.."

"That's because I stick up for you, sometimes. Not this time. What you said about her makes you a pig! Leave her alone for a while, Theo. Or do as she said. Get someone else in to do the job. You obviously can't."

Lisa hangs up.

---

Theo puts his phone on the table. Hearing Lisa's words stung. He doesn't want to give up, not the job, and not on Amy. Seeing the look on her face made his heart break. He's not had that feeling in a long time. Deciding that he needs advice, he calls Tom.

"Hey man, what's up?" Tom asks.

"I kind of messed up.."

"What did you do?" Tom asks. As theo then realises that Tom was right, he is an idiot, he shrugs off the thought.

"Amy heard me on the phone to you earlier.. About the distraction?"

"How much of that did she hear, Theo?" Tom asks with dread in his voice.

"All of it..I think. Well, most of it. She didn't hear me telling you how much I love having her around.. She only heard the bad stuff."

"That's because there was more bad stuff than there was good.. You went from hating her, she's such a distraction, to then loving having her around..you're even confusing me man!"

"Whatever, she heard the crappy stuff. She went nuts.. Seriously. I've never seen her like that.. I really hurt her. I don't know what to do."

"I'll ask Emma."

"No! Don't tell Emma.."

"What have you done now??" Emma's voice takes over.

"Hey, Emma.."

---

"I guess I should go." Amy tells Lisa.

"Hey before you do.. Do you think I should ask for Steve's number? He's cute.."

"I thought you were seeing someone?" Amy asks.

"No..we broke up two weeks ago."

"Oh, I didn't know. I'm sorry."

"You've had a lot on your mind sweetie.."

Feeling bad, Amy agrees and let's Lisa go ask Steve for his number.

As she arrives back at the apartment, Theo is lying on the couch with the covers over him. Strange, she thinks. He sits up, seeing her just arrive.

"Hey.." He says.

Ignoring him, she walks to her bedroom.

"Wait.. I thought I'd take the couch tonight. You can sleep on my bed. I k ow that sound has been driving you crazy." He offers.

Amy stands, eyeing him suspiciously.

"I think I'd rather put up with the noise." She mumbles, turning away and going to her bedroom, slamming the door behind her.

Theo falls back onto the couch frustratedly. He thinks about Emma's advice, and Lisa's. "Stay away from Amy for a while."

Amy lies in her bed, staring at a photograph. She inspects her old self, standing with Colin. He had shoulder length blonde hair, bright green eyes and looked like kurt Cobain. She wonders what he looks like now. As she looks through more photos, she quickly realises something odd about each one of them. She grabs an empty photo album and slides certain photographs into the sleeves. Looking through even more, a few hours later she feels her eyes closing. She forces them open, wondering what she should do. She knows she should point it out to Theo, but the thought of speaking to him right now makes her want to puke. She has no choice.

The Living room is dark, she turns on the lamp. Theo moans in his sleep, pulling the covers over his head.

"Theo." She whispers. Wondering what's wrong, he peaks at her from the corner of the covers. Her hair is tied back into a messy pony tail, making her look younger.

"Whats wrong?" He asks, more alert as he sits up. Seeing the look on her face, he knows something's not right. He notices she is holding a photo album in her hand.

"I think I found something." She says, handing him the book.

Amy hands the book to Theo, making sure to keep her distance.

"Look At the pictures. Is there anything weird, to you?" She asks. He does as she says.

"Like what?" He asks, confused. Amy sighs.

"God, I thought you were the FBI!" She snaps. "Look closer!"

"It's hard when it's 4am, Amy.." He barks back. He looks closer at the pictures.

"Hm.. Same guy in every photo. How far back to these go?" He asks.

"I don't know.. Um. Since I was 16 I think."

"Do you recognise him?" He asks.

"No, I don't. I have no memory of ever seeing him."

"Ok.. I'll take this into work tomorrow morning.."

Amy nods, walking back towards her bedroom.

"Amy.." He calls. She stops, turning to face him.

"I'm sorry about what I said."

"If you were sorry you wouldn't have said it." She glares at him, turning away.