Stalked

Chapter 3

The sound of the credits from the movie wake me up. I sit up slowly, picking up the remote and turning the television off. I stretch a little, my back and neck stiff from falling asleep in an awkward position. Next to me, Lisa is asleep with a bag of half eaten sweeties on her lap, her hand in the bag. I laugh, lifting the packet off and placing them on the table. A banging noise comes from upstairs, and I quickly turn round facing the hall stairs wondering if it was just my imagination. I hold my breath, my heart beating loudly, I focus to see if I hear it again. Just my imagination, I think. Maybe I should wake Lisa up and head to bed, we can't sleep on the couch all night. Just as I reach out to wake her up, I hear another a bang. This time I'm sure I heard it.
"Lisa!" I whisper, gently shaking her shoulder wishing she would waken up sooner.
"Lisa, wake up.." I whisper.
"Mm..." She mumbles. Her eyes open, staring at me like I've done something wrong.
"I was sleeping!! Ouch.. My neck." She moans as she rubs the back of her neck,
"Shh. I think someone is in the house, or trying to get in, upstairs. Listen.."
"What??" She snaps and sits up so fast that she smacks her head off mine.
"What the... Ouch!!" I snap, quietly. I rub my forehead, wishing for the throbbing to go away.
"What do we do?" She asks, ignoring that she almost knocked me out.
"Let's check..God that hurts!" I whisper.
I stand, Lisa stands behind me and we both creep to the stairs, looking up at the landing. We both quietly sneak up the stairs, and as we get higher up, we hear something falling and smashing. I can hear what sounds like scraping and someone falling outside. We both look at each other and then at the front door. Lisa runs towards it.
"Don't open it!!" I snap, following her. But she does, and runs outside to find the culprit. I run after her.
"There's no one here.." She says, looking around herself,
"Get in!!" I snap and push her inside. I lock the door and pick up the phone to call the police.
When the police arrive, Lisa and I are giving statements as the other policemen check all the rooms in the house.
"Mam.." A police walks in as we finish giving our statements. "I don't see any evidence that someone was in your house."
"But.. We heard someone fall and smash.." I say, confused,
"That'd would be the breeze coming from the open window. A vase fell from your bedside table. The curtains must have blew open and knocked it over."
"Seriously?" Lisa asks, looking at me for answers.
"No, I closed all the windows.." I say, trying to convince them and myself. The policeman looks at me like I'm a child making up stories.
"I did!" I say, a little too loudly.
"Well.. I suggest you stay somewhere else tonight.. And if I were you I'd buy locks for your windows. Make double sure that they are closed and sealed."
"This isn't the first time something weird has happened.." I tell him, before they leave. He sighs and wraps his fingers through his belt loops.
"Then why haven't you reported it?" He asks. I sigh and look away. He's right.
"I... I don't.." I stutter.
"You did the right thing, calling us. But we don't see any evidence."
"Ok.. Thanks." For nothing... I say in my head.
The police leave. Lisa offers for me to stay at hers tonight.