Stalked

Chapter 4

As I lie in bed in Lisa's spare room, I stare at the card that the FBI guy gave me, Theo. Should I call him? Or will I just waste his time like I did the policemans time? I stare at the card for what seems like hours. Finally, I can feel myself drifting off to sleep.
My alarm sounds on my phone, far too early. I'm off work today but forgot to switch my alarm off. Six in the morning.. Great, I think. The FBI card is has fallen on the floor. I pick it up while lying on my side, and sit it on the table beside me. I bury my face in the pillow, forcing myself to go back to sleep. I didn't get the greatest sleep. I kept dreaming of strange noises in my house. Did I close the window? I know I did, it's the first thing I did when I got home from work that day. It's what Theo told me to do. I toss and turn, trying to think of something else. I end up lying on my back and staring up at the ceiling.
"Damn!!" I whisper. I sit up, and take my clothes from my overnight bag. I didn't even go upstairs for my clothes last night. I got my clean washing from the kitchen and grabbed a bag, shoved it all in. I couldn't bare seeing what mess there was. I couldn't stand the feeling that someone may have been in my room. I put on my blue jeans, my grey tank top and my leather biker jacket. I quickly brush my teeth before grabbing my purse and quietly sneaking out the house so I don't wake Lisa. Lisa's house isn't far from my work. But I'm not going to work. I'm going to the coffee shop that I usually visit every morning before I start work. The place I bumped into the FBI agent. Surely he'll be there.. I don't want to have to call him and try to convince him like I am trying to convince myself there was someone breaking in last night. If I just bump into him by accident, I'll feel better. As I drive to the shop, I sudden,y remember that I didn't even brush my hair or wash my face. Not even caring, I continue to drive.
I park not far from the shop, and fix my long brown hair as I look in the mirror. My god.. I have a huge bruise on my forehead from when Lisa banged into me last night... Jeez. Maybe I should have worn make up.
I purposely walk past the police station, where he said he was based. Not even looking in, I walk too quickly past the station and head for my coffee. But before I reach the coffee shop, I stop. Maybe I should just call him.. I think. No... I should visit him at his office, like he offered. I quickly turn, and walk towards the station again. I get to the front door of the building, and stop just as I grab the handle. I sigh in frustration and turn round again, heading to the coffee shop.
"Latte please.." I order my latte at the counter and pay. The shop is quiet, and I pick a couch at a table and take a seat, reaching for his business card in my purse. I flip it with my fingers, tap it on the table, stare at it, take out my phone to call him, changing my mind and sitting my phone down. I don't know how much time has passed. But I do know I've spent it staring at that damn card.
"This is I ridiculous.." I tell myself.
"Eh hem.." A man clears his throat. I look up at him. Seeing spots appear before me because I've been staring at the bright White card for ages. Then finally they disappear, and I see him as if I've magically mustered him up with my thoughts.
"Amy?" He asks.
"Theo... Um.. Detective james, sorry.. Hi.." I say. He smiles, holding his coffee and glancing at his card. I look at it, realising he's seen me staring at it. I feel myself going red, and quickly throw it in my purse.
"Was I expecting a call?" He asks, staring. I suddenly feel very embarrassed. I play with my hair, tuckng it behind my ear.
"Uh.. No. I was just.." I run out of words to say. I can't think of anything. He sits down beside me. I suddenly feel very aware of his eyes on me. Feeling shy, I keep my eyes on the table in front of me. His hand touches my coffee cup, which is still full.
"You haven't touched your coffee.. It's cold." He says with concern in his voice.
"Oh, is it?" I ask as I stare at the cup. "I was just leaving anyway.." I say as I pick up my hand bag.
For some reason I feel stupid about talking to a stranger about my problems. Even if he is in the force. He doesn't know me and I don't know him well enough to spill my problems onto. His hand grabs my arm gently to stop me from leaving.
"Are you alright?" He asks. I remember he asked me the first time we met here in the coffee shop.
"Yeah.." I lie. I can feel his eyes on me. I force myself to look at him.
"What happened to your head?" He asks, his eyes examining my hideous bruise.
I touch it.
"Oh, just my friend last night.. She banged her head off mine."
"That was nice of her.." He jokes. I giggle under my breath.
"Can I get you another coffee?" He asks. Before letting my pride get in the way, I smile and nod.