Stalked

Chapter 7

"So, first boyfriend?" He asks in an awkward tone.

I can't believe I have to tell a complete stranger my list of regrets.

"Um. Eric Johnstone. I was 15." Amy quickly says. First one out the way.

"And how long?" He asks as he stares at his note pad.

"Uh. I don't know. A week, I guess?" Amy answers, while gigglling uncontrollably.

"I guess that one doesn't count." He says, scoring it out.

"Oh, well.. Thanks, I think.." Amy feels slightly offended but giggles at the same time. I am horrified, she thinks.

"Sorry, I didnt mean it that way." His shoulders shake from laughing under his breath.

"Next one.." Theo asks.

I'm dreading this one. The worst relationship of my life. One I don't like to think about. "Collin."

He nods, waiting for the last name. Waiting for amy to tell him, he glances up at her from his note pad.

"Colin..?" He asks.

Amy sighs, tapping her nails on the counter.

"Colin Skully." Amy quickly blurts out the full name as if it was painful for her to even think it.

Theo's eyes shift from Amy's to the counter. He looks all over the kitchen, and then back at Amy. Before he can ask his next question, Amy asks him something.

"Can we skip this one, please?" Amy asks, desperately not wanting to discuss it, especially with a stranger.

Theo knows it's a touchy subject. But he feels torn. Normally, in any case he has, he follows the rules and asks every question on the book. But as he stares at Amy, her demeanour when she said the name 'Colin skully' he could tell she looked sad, a memory she didn't want to bring up, not with him.

"I guess.. But we might need to come back to it. Another time?" He asks thoughtfully. He watches as Amy nods and forces a smile.

As Amy tells him more of the names, he's surpised that there aren't that many.

"So any recently?" He asks as he drops his pen and takes a sip of juice. Amy takes a sip too.

"Max Wilson, We started dating two months ago. It lasted a month." Amy looks at her very short (ish) list in front of her. She wonders what theo is thinking. Inexperienced, is what he's thinking, I bet. Shrugging away the thought, she takes a few photos out her box.

"Out of all these men, which one would you suspect if it happened to be one of them?" Theo asks, tapping his pen on the note pad.

He watches as Amy takes anther sip of juice. Her long brown hair reflecting off the bright light above her. Her blue green eyes deep in thought. He wonders who could be doing this, scaring her. Who would want to hurt her? She is small in size, very petite. Her tiny hands, arms and shoulders have a light tan and her skin looks smooth and silky. Realising he's been staring, he diverts his eyes back to his note pad.

"You know.. Max was kind of..." Amy says, thinking back to the weird things he would do. "He was a little weird when we went out. Kind of.. Suspicious. He hated other men talking to me and he always called asking where I was. But after we broke up, I would randomly bump into him near my work or while I was out shopping. I guess I didn't think about it till now.."

As amy talks, theo writes. Worried that she might be over thinking it, Amy tries to take it back.

"But I don't think he would stalk me. I'm pretty sure he's going out with someone new."

"Alright.. Any you've missed?" He asks, curious as to whether she's purposly missed out someone because she's embarrased, apart from Collin. He has watched her face going as red as a tomato for the last 20 minutes.

Yes.. Amy thinks. "No.." She whispers. She fidgets with the photos. Theo watches her carefully, fully aware that she is lying. Smiling, he sits down his pen and turns in his stool to face her.

"Amy." He says, catching her attention.

"Detective james?" She asks back.

"Everything have told me stays between us. I won't tell a soul."

"I should think not!" Amy retaliates. Theo laughs at her reaction.

"I mean, if there is anyone you've missed out.. Who wasn't a boyfriend, but maybe a... Fling.. You need to tell me, we can't miss anyone out, and we'll get back to Colin, when you're ready. But I promise you I won't tell anyone." Theo watches as she tucks her hair behind her ear. Her eyes search the kitchen, anything as long as they are not looking at Theo. He tilts his head, raising an eyebrow, waiting.

"Fine.." She moans. Even though it's agaisnt Amy's rules, she has had a one night stand. She always told herself she wouldn't allow it to happen, that it was cheap and emotionless, that sex had to be with someone who cared about her, who was committed to her. But after her break up with Liam three years ago, she took it hard. Amy and Lisa both went out to the town. Amy got so drunk, and hooked up with a guy that she barely remembers. But she did remember his name.

"David Thomas." She blurted out. She rests her hands on her cheeks casually, but hoping he doesn't see how red her face is going.

"And..?" Theo hints, not sure how to ask. Amy looks at him dreadfully. Please don't ask me..

"Was David just..a.." Theo stuttered. Amy realised that he wasn't very good at this. He must do this all the times but he couldn't get the words out. He almost looked embarrass.

"Fling? Yeah." Amy answers without letting him finish his question.

Theo can feel himself going red now. Why am I feeling embarrased? This has never happened. Maybe it was Amy's reaction.. Whatever the reason, I have to be professional.

"So what now?" She asks.

"Now we get your security organised. I'm gonna make a call. I know a guy that can fit locks on your windows, your doors, and he can fit a trespassing light outside. If anyone is in your garden it'll loght up. Gives you warning."

"What if it's a cat?" She asks out of curiosity as she watches theo dial a number on his mobile.

"No one has ever asked me that.." He chuckles as he lifts the phone to his ear. Amy shrugs and slides off her stool, putting her can of juice in the bin. She turns and watches theo.

"Hey Gary, theo. I'm good. Listen, I ned a favour. I need you to come to a house tonight for a job. Yeah, locks for the windows, more locks for the front door..and a light for outside. As soon as. Great, the address is.. See you soon."

Theo hangs up and slides his phone in his trouser pocket.

"Ok, Gary will be over soon with the stuff..if we get that done now, then you should feel a little safer for the time being."

"Ok.. I hope so."

Amy isn't sure if Theo is staying to wait for Gary. They both stand looking at each other in an awkward silence.

"Do you need the photos?" Amy asks, breaking the silence.

"Oh, yeah.. I'll have a look just now. Just to get an idea of the faces.."

Theo walks to the other side of the Middle counter, across from Amy. She places the photos down to face Theo.

"Just ignore me in these photos.." Amy whispers sarcastically.

"You were blonde?" Theo asks surpised.

"Yeah I'm a natural blonde.." Amy says, touching her hair. "Thinking of going back blonde."

"I think you suit the brown." Theo says, leaning on the counter as he holds the picture in his hand. He glances at Amy, wishing he never said that, and quickly glances back at the photo. Amy's stomach flutters. She points out who each guy is.

As Amy talks to Theo about the men in the pictures, he can't help but glance over at the box of photos. He can see pictures of Amy. She looks good, she knows how to pose for the camera. But I wouldn't even call it posing. She's naturally photogenic, I guess.