Stalked

Chapter 8

After fitting a new lock for Amy's front and back door, she follows Theo and Gary upstairs to the bedrooms.

"So, which bedroom was the break in?" Gary asks as he flips the screwdriver in his hand. Theo points.

"That room. We think he's been getting in through her window." As Gary walks into her bedroom, Amy feels like her house has been invaded. It turns her stomach in knots knowing that someone may have been in while she was asleep. She stands at the door as she watches Gary fiddling about with the locks. Theo sits on the edge of her bed watching Gary. She's thankful for his help. His looks don't help though. She looks away as she catches Theo's eye. He glances at her, watching her folding her arms and swaying from side to side waiting for the job to be done.

Gary finishes, and heads for the spare bedroom.

"Ok guys. That should do it. Light has been fitted outside too so, you'll know if someone is in your garden. Anything else?" He asks.

"The new key?" Amy asks shyly.

"Oh, right. That would help!" Gary reaches his hand in his left pocket and pulls out a set of silver shiny keys. Dropping them in her hand, he smiles, says his goodbyes and leaves.

"Should keep you feeling safer. I hope it does." Theo says as he follows her downstairs to the front door.

"Me too. Thanks for your help.."

"No problem. I'll look into the list of suspects! Oh, and Lock up.." He says, pointing at Amy. Amy smiles, opening the door for him.

"I will."

With a smile and an awkward glance, he leaves. Amy takes a deep breath as she closes the door, locking it. She double checks that all the windows are locked, especially her bedroom window. She hopes tonight will be a peaceful one.

----

Theo parks his car and heads into the bar that his ex partner John told him he'd be. Theo hasn't seen him since he got demoted, a week ago. He's curious if he's still with the girl he got demoted for. John waves from the bar, catching Theo's attention.

"Theo. Good to see you man!" He slaps Theo's back and takes a seat on the stool. Theo takes a seat beside him looking disgusted as he sees John eating from the peanut bowl. This is a habit Theo cannot stand for.

"You're eating out of that thing?" He asks, pushing the bowl away.

"Little bit of germ didn't hurt anybody!" John snaps. Pulling the bowl back.

Shaking his head, Theo waves at the bar lady for a drink. Her black shoulder length hair frames her face, her red lipstick catching his eye. She smiles.

"What would you like?" She asks, looking him up and down.

"Beer, please. And one for yourself." He winks, throwing the money down onto the bar.

"Still the ladies man, huh?" John asks.

"Hey it's only been a week since you got demoted. I can't change in a week, can I?" Laughing, John hits his arm and slides off the stool, motioning Theo to follow him to the pool table. The bar lady hands Theo his drink, with a small piece of paper. He reads it. 'Cindy. 06089736408'. Theo smirks, looking up at her as she flirtatiously flips her hair back.

John is sorting out the balls in the pool table.

"Did she just give you her phone number?" He asks, handing him his cue, Theo nods, kissing the paper and sliding it inside his pocket.

"You didn't even say much to her!" John laughs, confused.

"I know!" Theo excitedly answers, grinning.

As Theo takes his first shot, he scatters the balls all across the table with none going in the pocket.

"So how's the love life?" He asks as John takes his shot. John hits a red ball in the pocket.

"You know. Girls are confusing." John States. He takes another shot.

"You're telling me? How so?" Theo asks, sounding intrigued. He knew John was never a ladies man. Ladies are alien to him.

"Well. While I was working on the case and we started to get close.. It was exciting and... Hot!" He takes another shot but misses.

With Theo laughing, he gets his cue in position, aiming for the Orange ball. Hitting it, he gets it in.

"And then.. When we got caught, we said that we would try and make it work. That we really liked each other, enough for me to get demoted. But.." He watches as Theo takes another shot. Pulling a concerned face that Theo is beating him, he leans on the pool table tapping his cue up and down.

"But?" Theo asks, looking up at him as he lets him take a shot as he missed.

"She's distant. I think she's bored."

"Maybe she is. Maybe the excitement of getting almost caught was enough for her."

"That's what I thought. Anyway I don't know if it's gonna work out. Watch this space I guess. They are just like...a different species, you know?"

"Oh don't I know it." Theo agrees as he watches him take a shot.

"How's work? Anything exciting happening?"

"Nah it's pretty quiet. Apart from Amy. I'm working on that right now."

"Who's Amy? This a new case? Paul didn't tell me anything." Theo shivers at the word 'Paul'. He hates Paul. He could be his new partner, word is on the street.

"She's not exactly known to the FBI yet. I met her at a coffee shop. She said she thought that someone was watching her, or breaking in. So I helped her get new locks and I got information. I'll look it up tomorrow. It's a shame, you know? She's terrified."

"You are helping a girl.. A victim.. Who you had a fling with?" John asks as he points jokingly towards Theo.

"What? No!" Theo snaps, throwing the chalk at him. "I over heard her on the phone before I met her. She sounded scared and.. No one would believe her. So I offered my help."

"And you haven't reported this?" John questions.

"No I haven't. There's no need, yet. Besides, she called the police but they didn't really take much notice, so it's on record."

"Just not with the precinct?" John asks, sounding cocky.

"No, alright?" Theo snaps.

"Is she pretty?" John asks. Theo stands holding his cue, sighing.

"What has that got to do with anything, John?"

"Well, this is you we're talking about. And she's a girl!" John sounds sarcastic.

"Hey you know that I have never gotten involved with someone on the case. Unlike you!" He smirks.

"But she isn't on the case.." John pokes.

"Well, to me she is. It's not like that. Who cares if she's pretty!"

"So she is, a hah!"

Sighing, Theo drops the cue on the pool table and takes a seat, sipping his beer. John joins him.

"You're right. You've never gotten involved with anyone who you are trying to help. I believe you. But you can't keep this from the boss."

"Yeah, I can. It's not a big deal." Theo shrugs his shoulders, looking back at the bar lady.

Theo awakes lying on his side. An arm wrapped round his body, he slowly sits up, letting her arm drop on the bed. Looking round at Cindy, her black hair covers her face as she sleeps. Her lipstick smudged on her face, he hears a snore Escape her lips. Shaking his head, he stands and grabs a clean pair of boxer shorts. Looking at her, he sighs. They always look so different the morning after, he thinks sleazily.

After his shower, he dresses in his suit for work. Gently poking at Cindy as if she's dirty, he wants her to wake up so he can go to work. She moans and turns over.

"Cindy.. You need to get dressed. I have work." Theo reminds her. She lazily sits up and holds the covers against her naked chest. He throws her clothes on the bed, and heads to the kitchen to make coffee. He frustratedly slams his mug down on the counter, making as much noise as possible to get her to leave. He hates when they stay..

Finally he sees her. Walking towards him, she smiles and tries to kiss him. Pulling away awkwardly, he can smell her beer breath and turns to pour his coffee.

"So, last night was fun." She says, being pushed gently towards the door by Theo. He nods smiling, pretending to agree.

"It was.. See you again. Bye!" He says, closing the door and not giving her s chance to say anything more.

"Finally.." He mumbles.

As he arrives at work he sees Paul getting out his car. Hurrying so Paul doesn't walk him to the office, he grabs the first open elevator and presses the level 5 button continuously. Sitting at his desk, he takes out his papers from last night at Amy's. He's curious about one thing and one thing only. Collin Skully. Why couldn't she tell me about him? He wonders. He types into the persons system 'Colin Skully.'. Leaning closer towards the screen, he reads one of the many articles.

'The project worker known as Colin Skully was reportedly charged in the early hours of Wednesday morning. He was caught on cctv trying to rob a small shop on the corner of newlands street. The suspect denies charges'.

Scrolling down more to other articles. One catches Theo's eye.

'Nineteen year old Amy Williams was hospitalised yesterday after her long term boyfriend Colin Skully brutally attacked her. Amy confirmed that it wasn't the first time Collin had hurt her, but claimed that it wasn't that serious at the time. It has been confirmed that Collin punched and kicked at her stomach, before burning her leg with boiling hot water. He then hit her over the head continuously with his boot, leaving Amy with serious head injuries. She is in critical condition, and unconscious.'

Sitting back in shock, Theo understands her hesitation. This happened five years ago. Where is he now? He thinks, positive that he could be the suspect. That's until he reads that Colin has been in jail since then, but he only has two more months. Early release, for good behaviour.

Looking up all the other guys on the list, nothing looks suspicious about either one of them.