Glass Reflection

Part 1

Things can change a lot in a lifetime. After 87 years on this earth things have been invented, things have been forgotten and things have changed, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worst. This thought had been at the forefront of Richard's mind over his past 4 days in hospital. This had been the only thought powerful enough to keep his mind from being completely engulfed in the sadness of his death sentence. For what crime had he been given this sentence? It was for living a long life and was sentenced by nature, a deity or random chance. Really it was only fair. He had outlived a lot of people, some his friends, some his enemies and countless strangers many of whom were probably nicer or smarter than he, people who would have achieved much greater things in the extra time in our plane of existence. However, by some great plan or by complete coincidence it had been he who lived. It's a shame he thought, there's some possibility that if he had realised the gift this time was sooner then he would have been motivated to travel more places and see and do more things. These were the kind of thoughts he was trying to excise from his mind. Regret would only make him bitter and he would be damned if he was going to spend his last hours on earth unhappy and depressed.
He took a moment to observe the surroundings he had become accustom to over these days. It amazed him that even though the important parts of him were giving in, others were still incredibly adaptable. His ears had become accustom to the constant dripping of his painkillers and wheezing of machines and his nose had all but forgotten the disinfectant smell that surrounded the place. It made him wonder how many important things we can become completely oblivious to in our day to day lives simply because they happen often. At this thought images of his ex wife flashed in his mind as he recalled her everyday sacrifices...and how he was completely oblivious to them.
His nurse opened the door.
♠ ♠ ♠
Just a little intro as I try to figure out whether to carry on and the best style for it. :)