Legacy Wings - The Gateway After Fire

Prologue

The sharp chimes of metal clashing together rang through Isaac’s ears, as he bounced back bracing himself for another blow. The man before him stood tall and unmoved by Isaac's advances. He watched the man rub sweat from his forehead brushing aside his wavy hair, leaving an opening. Exhausted he was ready to end the fight, with this advantage he targeted the man’s sword by swooping in. He figured the sword would be thrown from the man’s hands, however he quickly braced himself for the attack. Retaliating, the man smirked pushing around Isaac's sword to an upright position. Once more the walls echoed with the sound of their furious battle. Then at last the clanking stopped and a victor took his place having knocked Isaac's sword out of his hand.

The man chuckled as he leaned forward extending a hand towards him. He took it as he brushed off his rather expensive clothes.

"Perhaps, next time." The man laughed.

"Tsk, one of these days I'll beat you." He laughed alongside his friend as they walked towards a nearby water trough.

As usual the cold water was welcoming after their brawl. While here both men sat leaning against the trough, completely beat.

"Was there something bothering you?" Issac's friend asked as he wiped water beads from the short hairs growing out from his chin. "You seemed distracted."

Isaac raises his eyebrow foolishly stating “you know me too well; though, yes I am distracted by both, that of love and disgust.”

“Do tell my friend” his friend gestured to continue with a smirk.

“You see, I’m sure you can tell, there is a girl and she is most beautiful.” Isaac laughed. “Not only, so beautiful but also kind and generous. I like her but then there is my father.” Frowning Isaac continued “He is not happy for my love, he rather see me fight in petty wars.”

"A girl?" his friend let out a humorous laugh. Wrapping his arm around Isaac he pulled him in and squeezed. Pulling his head down low and bringing his free hand up to cover his mouth, so no one could see his next words. "Have you laid with her yet? Are you truly a man now?"

Isaac's cheeks turned rosy red as he was shocked and profusely embarrassed. He had never heard such talk before. "I...well...no. I am a man, wait..."

His friend bellowed with laughter once more. Shaking his head he smiled, "The warmth of a woman, brings such joy to a man’s heart."

Blushing once more Isaac laughed along and joked “Oh yeah? And how would you know, have you felt the warmth of a woman?”

His friend blushed and looked away, "Well not exactly, it's what I've heard."

“The Noble ladies will be flooding your way when you are general.” Isaac boasted.

Pausing for a moment, his friend beamed with excitement, he clued in repeating his words “wait…General?” He looked over at Isaac thrilled, pulling himself to his feet bringing the Isaac up with him. “I’m going to be a General!?” He yelled out, pumping his fist to the air.

“Yes”, Isaac smirked, “you will be summoned soon” he praised. “Though, would your father approve?”

"Of course he will! He's an honorable warrior, always ready to fight alongside the King!" Isaac's friend smiled at the thought. "He will be more than thrilled to have his son alongside him, LEADING an entire army!"

Rolling his eyes Isaac laughed “Greg you’re leading a part of the army, a fraction, a piece; not the whole army there.” Thinking, Isaac questioned “We may have to bring the militia; in this case, what would happen to the Smithy?"

"As soon as your father sees how brave a warrior I am, he'll let me lead the entire thing!" Greg laughed before he continued, "As for the shop, we will have to close the doors unless my mother worked in the back..." Both men shuttered at the thought, a women working in a smithy; that's unheard of.

“Yeah, your mom working in the back; imagine my mother working in the back” he chuckled “now that would be a sight to s-“stopping in his tracks they heard the sound of clanging metal. Armoured the men thought, palace guards.

Both men got up to run even though they knew they have been found out. From around the corner emerged three palace soldiers and the men’s playtime was over.

“Prince Isaac!” called Pierre, his personal guard “Playtime is over, young sir; time to go home now.”

“Oh Pierre, so nice to see you. I was just around for a night walk.” Isaac joked.

“Yes yes, Prince Isaac” Pierre spoken calm and collected, hard to do with the Prince sometimes. “Also your father is upset, he wanted to see you hours ago.”

Greg rolled his eyes as he picked up the swords laying a few feet away. Passing the sword to Prince Isaac's, Greg bowed; then to the guards as well. Taking his leave into a wooden building, that was his home as well as the blacksmith shop.

5 year later

King Isaac signed, taking a seat on his thrown, with a heavy heart and a shaky breath he began “Greg, I’m so sorry…” his voice cracked stopping him from continuing.

"I lost her years ago." Greg mumbled under his breath. Thinking back to the girl he married for the Kings sake. She was just as beautiful as he had said, with her long brown hair and slender figure. She was fit to marry a king, not a blacksmith.

Between shallow breathes the King continued “…that she had to die like this…hmm…I hope she didn’t suffer?”

Greg looked up to the King watching as a tear slid down his cheek. Quickly looking away, ashamed that he couldn't bare a single tear for her he lied for his friend’s sake, "Not at all."

She had suffered in more ways than his friend could imagine. Watching the man she truly love marry a women from a far and distant land. Baring that same man's child, then on top of all that having to pretend to love a man such as, himself?

King Isaac couldn’t understand Greg’s present emotionless state so he offered, “perhaps…Aster could stay here for a little while, with Laila to know each other; they are sisters after all.” With true worry in his eyes the King suggested “Also perhaps you can spend some time alone to truly grieve?”

Greg was filled with range as the King spoke. "After everything, you want to take MY daughter away from me?" Greg hissed at the king, clenching his fists in anger.

King Isaac was taken aback by Greg’s frustration and as he began to retaliate Laila pranced into the room. She had a goofy smile, as she wore a poofy blue dress that seemed to dance with each step. Behind her was a girl who resembled the King's former lover almost perfectly. King Isaac knew right away, that it was Aster. He could no longer hold back the tears that now ran free.

Aster smiled to the King as she nervously walked to where Greg was standing; still furious with Isaac. She looked so small in comparison to the full grown man, she reached for Greg's hand pulling on it to get his attention. Wiping a strand of brown hair from her face she asked, "Daddy, where's Mommy?"
♠ ♠ ♠
If you like this and want to keep up to date, Go like my Facebook page for updates and more:
https://www.facebook.com/Kimberleystorys