Legacy Wings - The Gateway After Fire

Chapter One

Aster sat and watched as the sun slowly rose over the mountains; making the sky shimmer with different colors. She lifted her sword for the last time against her opponent, a tree lay victim before her, as she practiced different moves over and over again. The bark had been slashed at many angles, but still stood strong.

With her last blow to the tree she smiled, lifting her sword for a closer inspection. The sword was one of her fathers, which he had used in the war before she was born. It was beat up and chipped at many points, but it was still one of her favorites to use.

Aster's auburn hair danced in the wind, so she tamed it back into a long pony tail. She wore thick white tights that matched her brown faded, leather skirt. She slightly pulled at her corset vest, accidently loosening a string on the long sleeve of her white laced undershirt. Frustrated Aster rolled her eyes as she tucked the string away, to fix later.

Walking back to her house she ignored the irritation of her fathers words the night before. "You're a whore, just like your mother." He had spat at her in a mix of a drunken slur.

Aster sighed, thinking back to when he used to be a proud warrior, a general fighting alongside the King himself!

As her house came into view she quickened her pace, realizing how late she had been out practicing.

Opening the door to the old blacksmith shop, she quickly crept inside; careful not to awake her father, who could be passed out anywhere. The old shop had a thick layer of dust that coded the room. The only spot on the wooden wall that bared no dust, was where the sword; that Aster held in her hand, belonged.

She tipped toed over to the wall and slowly placed the sword down. Leaving it was always hard for her; she longed for it to be held in her hands.

"ASTER!" The growl of her fathers voice filled the house. Aster let out a startled squeak as she whipped around, walking quickly towards the back of the shop leading to the house.

"Coming." She spat back, closing the wooden door behind her.

"Where have you been?" He asked as he took another sip of a jug that sat before him. The smell of booze stung her nose as she walked into the kitchen.

"Out." She mumbled as she took a seat on the other side of the table. Reaching for the jug Aster took a nasty gulp, swallowing the distasteful liquid.

"I wish you would act more like a lady." He hissed at her as he snatched the bottle back only to spill the brown liquid all over the floor. Ignoring the mess he continued, “for Pete’s sakes, just take Liam's proposal; it's the only one you’re gunna get!" Pushing himself up from the table he walked towards his bedroom; leaving Aster with the mess she now had to clean up.

Making quick work of the mess her father made, Aster thought back to the day Liam asked her to marry him.

Liam had been leaning up against the tree when she had arrived. His short blonde hair shinning in the moonlight, making him look much younger than he truly was. Aster couldn't help but smile when she saw him.

Running up to him; sword in hand, she tried for a sneak attack. Liam heard her from miles away and quickly pulled his sword out, blocking the blow.

"You got to do better than that!" he taunted her, waving his sword around. They played like that for a while before they both grew tired. Taking a seat on a hill close by, they shared water and fresh baked bread from the bakery.

"I can't believe that I've put up with you and your attitude for this long." Liam put his arm around Aster and squeezed her in tight. Normally, this would have bothered her if it was anyone else.

"That's the least of your problems." She smiled as she watched the few firefly's dance around the them.

"Oh yea?" Liam asked as he raised one of his eyebrows, looking down at Aster. She quickly pulled her arm back; punching him playfully in the gut. Rolling away before he could retaliate, she was ready for him.

Liam smirked as he pounced on her, leaving her laying on the grass; her face just inches away from him. She felt his warm breath on her lips as she stared into his blue eyes. Liam intertwined his fingers with Asters as he held her hands above their heads.

Dazed and shocked Asters cheeks began to burn. Liam slowly began to fill the gap, as his lips slowly collide with Asters. Closing her eyes she let the moment happen, she burned with every fiber of her being; to be close to him, to have him in her arms. She could enjoy this.

Letting go of Asters hands, Liam pulled his down to caress her cheek, looking down at her smiling.

"This is not very lady like of you." Liam teased. Asters face went completely red as she looked away. She knew if any of the town's folk walked by what this would look like.

"This isn't being a very good gentlemen either." Aster snapped.

Laughing and ignoring Asters anger Liam continued on: "We should get married."
Aster pushed Liam off, standing abruptly; she quickly starting gathering her things.

"Aster wait-" Liam tried to pull her back down; to sit next to him. Pulling away she walked back towards the tree. "You know how I feel about marriage." Aster snapped, as she slid her torn, leather shoes on.

"I know", Liam begin as he got up and started following her. "This will be different for us. We won't be like your parents, I promise." Liam's voice became to show his annoyance, as Aster continued to ignore him. Grabbing her arm, forcing her to stop and look at him, he said very firmly, "Aster, just think about it." Liam then let her go, pained to see her run off.

She wants to run back into his strong, warm arms and scream yes at him. The only thing she could bring herself to do was to run.

A loud knock brought Aster back to reality. Standing up from the spilled liquid on the floor Aster rinsed out the cloth and hung it to dry. She decided then, that she will get the courage to say yes.

Aster quickly bounced towards the door, opening it to see a large plump man. He wore a purple velvety suit; with fluffy white frills at the collar and cuffs. Behind him stood a soft purple and gold chariot.

Muffling a laugh Aster raises an eyebrows at the man before her.

"Your chariot my lady." The man bowed as he gestured towards the small steps leading into the chariot.

"Father?!" Aster yelled towards the back of the house. "Where does the nutcracker want us to go?"

Her father came out of the room dressed in his semi-formal clothes. He motioned for her to follow as he stepped into the chariot.

"We are going to see the King."