Penance

Intro

Audra hadn't even taken her first steps before the BOOM became a regular event. Almost an activity. Today, the door burst open, as it always did, its hinges not even resisting the impact from the invading force.

Screams filled the hallways of the Known, some of the Penance had taken yet another child, this time only one door down from Audra and her mother's trembling body. They may be next. Tomorrow, or the next, or the next. It made no difference.

They were slaves to the illusion of time- the aching loneliness of the thing sent chills down Audra's spine every time she even was able to think past the hollow screams every night by orphaned children, childless mothers, and broken families.

Some just cried- some stopped all signs of life. They became hollow human beings; they almost ceased to exist. They stopped being fed.

Some even Jumped- or suicide, with a twist. Jumping was surrendering yourself willingly to the Virus; some knew it as BOOMing early. Then the Penance would arrive, and you'd never come back. No one knew what the Penance did with you outside of the darkened jail hallways.

All Audra knew was that it wasn't good. Once you left the Known, you never, ever came back.