Untitled 01.

Untitled 01.

"It could work, you know?"

I didn’t look at him. Instead, I took a long drag of my cigarette. It was the final one in the box I religiously carried around in my bag. I felt his gaze upon my face. “Alright,” I said, “If you can convince me by the time this smoke is done, I’ll consider it.”

At the corner of my eye, I saw him smirk. He always loved a challenge. Maybe that’s why he was here, lying on the wet grass with me. Maybe I was his challenge.

"I can’t do that, I’m afraid."

I looked at him, incredulously. His eyes were facing the sky, his head resting on his hands.

I flicked a trace of ash off the end of my Marlboro. “And why is that?”

He smiled almost sheepishly. “Because,” he replied, twisting to lie on his side to face me, “I fear every word I say will blow away with the smoke.”

I snorted, laughing. “You want me to run away with you and that’s your answer?” I inhaled once more. “Try again.”

"Fine," He quirked, removing the cigarette from my hand and rubbed it against the dirt.

Before I could express my outrage, his lips were on mine. It was awkward at first; as most things unexpected are. But soon, it was smooth; fluid. It tasted like nicotine and tic tacs- a flavor both pleasing and peculiar.

He removed his lips from mine and laid back down, looking at the clouds. “That’s my answer.” He locked his fingers and placed them over his chest. “It’s shocking, pleasing, and fleeting…kind of like you.”

A smile genuinely found itself spreading across my face. I had the unusual feeling of being wanted; of being needed. It made me feel worthy, giddy. But unfortunately, not in love.

I met his eyes. He seemed to realize what I was thinking, for he looked back up to the heavens. “You know how everyone gives clouds this majestic, ethereal title?”

"Mhm." I hummed, aching for another cigarette.

He got up slightly and leaned on his elbows, still focusing on the sky. “Well they’re not so great. Just interesting figures, ever-changing...and filled with water and emptiness.”

I smirked once more, also looking up at the moving, white formations. I finally broke the inexorable silence. ”Sort of like you and I.”

Then I got up and left.