Status: In Process

Chicago Is so Two Years Ago

December

It was now early December and it was finally time for Cedric to be released from bed rest within the hospital wing. A few of his close guy friends and I surprised him as we all met up with him during his release day. Craig, Gregory, and another one of Cedric’s friends named Tony Otterburn all gathered around his hospital bed. All the guys congratulated his success within the first task, but I was just glad that he was healthy again. Cedric was standing besides his bed, dressed in his casual clothes, as we all were standing around him.

“Congrats Ced!” Tony cheered, giving Cedric a handshake.

“Congrats bro.”

“Congrats and all, but have you opened your egg yet Ced?” Gregory asked.

“Thanks guys, but no. Actually, I haven’t,” He answered as everyone looked at the golden egg. The egg was sitting on the nightstand behind Cedric; he has not opened it yet. He told me he was waiting to open it on the day he was released from the hospital wing. “I think now is the perfect time, I’ve waited long enough!” We all watched while he grabbed the egg and twisted it open, it released a loud screeching noise. Everyone quickly covered their ears as Cedric closed it shut. I had no idea who or even what was making the noise.

“I’m confused,” Craig said to Cedric.

“Me too,” I agreed.

“What was that?” Gregory asked again.

“Mermaids.”

A few weeks into December the halls of Hogwarts got darker and much colder. Many students were dressed in tons of layers and had boots on to handle the snowy weather. Classes began to become harder as it was the end of the first term, meaning everyone was preparing for midterm exams. I spend most of my past days within the library and common room of my dormitory studying for my exams, especially my transfiguration exam. Not only was this month stressful because of major weather changes and exam schedules, December was also the month of the Tri-Wizard Yule Ball. I was hoping that Cedric would ask me to the ball during this week, but it was already Saturday. Meaning midterm exams were over and most students who were not invited to the ball were heading home for winter break.

Even though I was not invited to the ball, I had to stay at Hogwarts over the winter break because Professor McGonagall had to attend the Yule Ball as every professor was invited to chaperon. She was the only professor to volunteer teaching the students dance lessons, especially to the chosen contestants who had to preform in the first dance. After Sunday’s lunch, along with other fourth years, I met my grandmother in an empty classroom filled with a record player and many chairs on both walls of the room. Guys and girls were split up into groups as neither of us wanted to be the first to volunteer to dance in front of everyone. My grandmother noticed the awkward tension and began to speak to break the silence.
♠ ♠ ♠
Fact #16: The Yule Ball is a formal dance held on Christmas night of the tournament, and is opened by the tournament champions and their partners in the Champions Waltz.