Status: In Process

Chicago Is so Two Years Ago

The Tri-Wizard Tournament

“It was alright, my father made me train most of the summer though. So I hardly got to see any of my friends, I tried convincing him a couple of times to let me take a trip into Scotland to see you but he never let me,” Cedric exclaimed. He looked like he was mad at his father, since he had to work and train all of his summer.

“I thought your father would make you do something like that. I, on the other hand, practiced transfiguration with Professor McGonagall all summer. She says I'm at the level as a fifth year; she's trying to prepare me for my O.W.L.'s a year early. She wants me to be able to continue on with transfiguration and master it like everyone else has in our family,” I explained, telling him what I did and where I was over the summer. Before I could continue the sorting of the first years was over and I was interrupted by Professor Dumbledore's announcement.

“Now we're all settled in and sorted, I'd like to make a couple of announcements. The first years please note that the dark forest and the third floor corridor on the right hand side are out of bounds and are strictly forbidden to all students. Thank you, now to the announcement you have all been waiting for. This castle will not only be your home this year but home to some very special guests as well. You see Hogwarts has been chosen…” Professor Dumbledore said looking over at us. It became quiet as Dumbledore looked out into the distance, everyone turned around to see what he was looking at. It was Mr. Filch, who came running in awkwardly to interrupt Dumbledore's announcement. Filch approached Dumbledore and whispered something into his ear. As Filch left Dumbledore's side, he finally continued.

“So, Hogwarts has been chosen to host a legendary event, the tri-wizard tournament. Now for those of you who do not know, the tri-wizard tournament brings together three schools for a series of magical contests. From each school a single contestant is selected to compete. Now let me be clear, if chosen you stand alone. And trust me when I say these contests are not for the faint hearted, but more of that later. For now please join me in welcoming the lovely ladies of the Beauxbatons Academy of magic and their headmistress Olympe Maxime!” Professor Dumbledore explained proudly, he started clapping before the new school entering Hogwarts. The girls from Beauxbatons Academy of Magic came in and danced in formation as they approached the front of the Great Hall. Many butterflies were released as their headmistress, Olympe Maxime, was walking in large strides behind them.

“And now our friends from the north please greet the proud sons of Durmstrang and their high master Igor Karkaroff!” Professor Dumbledore cheered again, clapping for their school. The boys from the Durmstrang Magical Institute for Magical Study did a similar routine as the Beauxbatons. I watched as boys, including the famous Quidditch player Viktor Krum, who entered the room with head to toe fur attire. As each walked down the center of the Great Hall some used magic to breathe fire. These two schools knew how to show off all right.

After Professor Dumbledore greeted the headmaster and mistress of the visiting schools he sat down at his table and chair, "Now let the feast... Begin!" Within the Great Hall food magically appeared in front of everyone at their house tables. Both of the visiting schools were seated in a cleared section within the front of the Great Hall, as their headmaster and mistress were seated with the professors. The girls of Beauxbatons were seated in Ravenclaw, while the boys of Durmstrang were with Slytherin. Everyone around Cedric and I began eating their food, but I could not stomach it after knowing what Cedric was about to ask me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Fact #3: The Tournament has been renowned for being extremely dangerous as champions have died while competing, and was discontinued after 1792. However, in 1994 the Tournament was revived with restrictions in place in an attempt to stop potential deaths.