Butterflies

Chapter 1

“You do know who he is…, don’t you?” The woman – a member of New York’s Historical Society – wanted to know after a brief silence and her voice was filled with a powerful disbelief. Her acquaintance, taken aback by her rather questionable behavior, slowly and very hesitantly shook her head as an answer. The woman was seriously shocked by the answer she received. She found it hard to believe someone would have absolutely no idea who he was, even if it had been that someone’s first day in the city.

A short amount of time prior to the start of the conversation, the gaggle of woman formed a circle where they stood in front of the three-storey mansion. They were about to enter the mansion to be in attendance for the important event, when one of the women mentioned or rather displayed her lack of knowledge of, not only the event, but the most important family of New York as well.

But before the woman’s display, the women were in the middle of their admiration for the beauty – the beauty this garden held. The perfect fresh cut, fine-textured and bright green blades of the Rough Bluegrass with the requirement to be regularly watered, the stone driveway with a perfect curve a few feet away from the front door but not too near the fountain with the crystal clear water, and the roses all had a spectacular and divine red color to each and every petal.

However, halfway through their discussion of the landscape, from the gate, a midnight black sports car slowly drove closer. The woman convinced her ‘friends’ she knew without a doubt who the vehicle belonged to and thus through this confidence, had the undivided attention of the other women. It was at that moment the one woman was completely oblivious to the importance of the name of the driver.

“I cannot believe you haven’t heard of him and yet, here you are about to attend this event. This entire night, this glamorous night is all about his family. You see, his father,” She, with subtlety, tilted her head in the direction of the sports car. “His father is the one being honored as Man of the Year, Callahan Coventry. Surely, you must have heard of his parents at the very least. After all they are pretty high up.” She informed her ‘friends’ with confidence.

The women were caught up in their gossip, so much so, they were blissfully unaware the owner of the expensive vehicle was already out of his Ferrari and right beside them. “I’ve never seen Callahan and Rebecca,” The male referred to his parents by name as he interrupted their conversation. “, quite that way. In all honesty, I’ve always considered them down to earth,” He paused before he added with arrogance, “Even more so in their cherry red Ferrari.”

The Coventry family is the wealthiest and most elite family in New York City with their close second, The Hollingsworth family. In the city so nice they named it twice; the Hollingsworth family is more likely to be considered as the more elite family between the two. Douglas Bartholomew Hollingsworth is the governor of the state, New York, with his son, Carter Drew following in his footsteps as Carter is running for senate. Douglas and Carter shared an alma mater – Princeton. Douglas’ wife, Lucille Claire, was a housewife as there was no reason for her to spend her days in an office. But perhaps if she had a career, they were more likely to be the most elite family, but instead she only spent the money her husband worked so hard for.

The Coventry family was different. Callahan Coventry was a philanthropist, businessman and lawyer. He owned multiple hotels and his own law firm, where his naturally beautiful wife, Rebecca, was his partner. Their firstborn, Vaughan, attended Harvard Law as they did, and he was now a junior partner at the firm of Austin and Grant where he focused on divorces. He was, however, a first year associate at his father’s firm before he left. Their second child, Garrett, was the rebellious one in the family, very much like his uncle Jude. He had no interest in law or hotels, but was still successful on his very own way. The male owned and managed burlesque clubs. And last, but not least, their third child and only daughter, Annabelle, was a model and an actress. Lady Coventry, Callahan’s ‘lovely’ mother, was blessed with her three successful grandchildren. Callahan’s father passed away years ago due to an unexpected heart attack.

“Yes, well, you’re one to talk,” The woman replied as she gestured at is Ferrari and all its glory. The woman was humiliated by his disrespectful and impolite behavior. Simply because his father practically owned all of New York, gave him no right to treat her – a member of the New York Historical Society – the way he had.

“Mine isn’t red,” He said and the way which he said it made it sound like there was the world’s difference merely because of the color. He sneered at the group of women. He knew he was the gossip material for them for the rest of the evening and wanted to be sure he gave them plenty to talk about. “I appreciate that you could all make it tonight to honor Callahan as Man of the Year. I’m certain you will all have a very pleasant evening,” He added sarcastically and didn’t even bother to excuse himself before he made his way to the door.

The doorman held the door open for Vaughan as he was paid to do. The divorce lawyer was barely inside his childhood home, when Rebecca came over to greet him with a brief hug and a kiss on the cheek. “I am so thrilled you could make it,” She stated with a warm smile, even though she wasn’t surprised by his attendance. “Your father and I are well aware how busy a lawyer’s life can get, especially in the first few years when you have to prove your worth.”

“Of course I’d make it.” He replied and was offended.

“Vaughan, I didn’t mean anything by it. We’re just so proud of you, that’s all.” Vaughan didn’t need an Ivy League education to know she meant she was proud of him, not his father as well. Callahan was only ever really proud of one thing – his own success. Rebecca looked her son up and down with concern, “Are you eating properly?” She wanted to know and he gritted down on his teeth. She could see his irritation, “What? It is a terrible habit to get lost in your work and miss a meal. I have more than enough on my plate as it is, I don’t want to worry about you too.”

“Rebecca,” A deep, husky voice called impatiently and several seconds later Callahan sauntered into the foyer. “It’s about time you show up,” He said disapprovingly to Vaughan and shook his hand firmly. It was so typical of Callahan – he always had to find a way to degrade Vaughan. “But better late than never.” He looked Vaughan up and down, but not with the same concern as Rebecca, and placed a hand on his son’s shoulder. “Is this an Armani suit?” He asked, but before Vaughan could answer, Callahan turned his attention to Rebecca. “Lucille is curious as to where you found the florist or caterer…” He trailed off as he always did whenever something was of no interest to him and he had no desire to repeat pieces of nothings to someone else. “And like I’m not busy enough already, the photographer insists on wasting my time with questions he obviously should be asking you and not troubling me with.”

It was second nature to Vaughan to tolerate his father’s disappointment, a disappointment which would most likely last until the end of time. He learned to accept the relationship between his mother and father.

Rebecca took a deep breath and now the smile on her face was forced, “I certainly can’t keep her waiting then. Vaughan, you should really come with and mingle with the crowd.” Callahan flinched at the word ‘mingle’. It sounded so beneath the Coventry name and for some reason Rebecca absolutely had to use that word at every social occasion.

“Of course, it goes without saying.” Vaughan stated even though he had no desire to speak to any member of the Hollingsworth family. In truth, he didn’t mind Douglas all that much, but Lucille was so transparent and Carter much too self-obsessed. The lawyer accompanied Rebecca through the crowd of people towards the Hollingsworth family. The only thing to look forward to the evening was the end.

“Rebecca, I was just telling Douglas that your decorator certainly knows what she is doing,” The blonde housewife started with her smile, although it was debatable whether her smile was real or not. “The place is absolutely stunning, breathtaking.”

“The decorator was a rather peculiar man and the way he looked at the doorman was always unsettling,” Vaughan’s often twisted sense of humor came into play, but he was so serious it would be hard to believe it was untrue. A grin was plastered on Douglas’ face and it was clear he was the only one to know Vaughan was kidding. Lucille ignored the remark and Carter couldn’t care less about anything Vaughan said.

“Carter,” Lucille turned to face her son but looked back at Vaughan, “Surely you remember Vaughan, don’t you?” Carter gave a nod and yet refused to make eye-contact with the male. “You two have so much in common. You both happen to follow in your fathers’ footsteps, by it law or politics, and let’s not forget the Ivy League education. Not everyone is able to say they went to Harvard or Princeton.”

“Could I have everyone’s attention, please?” The emcee spoke up into the microphone before everyone turned to focus on the emcee behind the podium on a small platform. “Firstly, I’d like to welcome everyone to this spectacular event honoring an important member of our society. Now, I’d like to welcome Vaughan Coventry to introduce the Man of the Year!”

Everyone clapped their hands as Vaughan moved towards the podium to announce his father. “Save the applause for the guest of honor. This year, the Man of the Year, is truly an icon for everyone in this beautiful city. He’s a businessman, but also a philanthropist and a true pillar of the community.” Vaughan, very much like his father, had a natural talent to keep the attention of a crowd. “Man of the Year, Callahan Coventry.”

Everyone clapped their hands again. Vaughan never referred to his parents as ‘my mother’ or ‘my father’. Firstly, it felt too personal. Secondly, Callahan refused to be referred to as their father. Fatherhood always made someone weak in his eyes. The only time he allowed it was with Annabelle, but it was different. She was his little girl.

“One day, it will be you up there.” Rebecca said to Vaughan the second he returned to her side. “Even if some people think it may be Carter, I know it will be you. You’re a Coventry after all and you’re his son. There is no escaping it.”

“Like death,” Vaughan forced a smile before he took a glass of champagne from the waitress that walked by and handed it to his mother. “Surely, Callahan would have a heart attack the year he isn’t up there.” He added quietly – he didn't whisper – but spoke softly enough not to distract anyone from his father’s speech. He couldn't rid the good people of New York of his father’s impressive and insightful words.

“Perhaps, but he would much rather lose his title to you than either of the Hollingsworth men,” Rebecca took a sip of the champagne. “Wouldn't you agree with me on that?”

He pursed his lips momentarily before he spoke up, “Actually, I wouldn’t entirely agree. Although, if the day should come that a Hollingsworth earns the title, it should be Douglas and not Carter.”

By the bar, on the other side of the room, Genevieve Blair was unable to take her eyes off of Vaughan. His posture was flawless, his blue eyes charismatic, his raven hair perfectly styled and he looked irresistible in his black Armani suit.

Genevieve should rather have had her eyes on Carter, her boyfriend. Her family, like his, was very wealthy. The couple has only been dating for four months, but it felt like nothing could go wrong. They haven’t had a fight and the chemistry was definitely there between them. He took her on several dates to romantic restaurants and she loved being showered with attention and gifts. It was every girl’s dream. But her dream came true.

But it was understandable why she was intrigued by Vaughan. Even though they’ve never met, she’s been told plenty by several people – he was charming, he was selfish, he was rude. In a city like this, with gossip, there was absolutely no way to know whose opinion of him was the most accurate.

The brunette moved away from the bar and towards the powder room. She barely stepped into the room and closed the door behind her, when her chocolate brown orbs landed on the brunette that stood in front of the mirror.

Her hair, curly and brown, was a mess and the tears made her mascara run down her cheeks. The cute red dress she wore had an elegant cutout to reveal a small part of her hips. She saw Genevieve in the mirror, “Damn it.” She swore and clenched her fist. She exhaled loudly and hopelessly stared up at the ceiling, “Really? Can this awful night get any worse for me?”

“This is a stupid question, but are you okay?” Genevieve wanted to know and slowly moved closer to the brunette. Genevieve suddenly realized it was the one and only Faye Austin. She couldn’t believe she ran into Faye Austin and a week ago she didn’t even want to attend the social event.

Faye Austin had her own fashion magazine called The Faye. The magazine leaves every girl desperate for the next issue and helps them prevent fashion disasters. However, Faye Austin was more popular and famous because she’s an actress. Her first movie gave her fame. She acted opposite George Clooney and a movie romance turned into a relationship. Genevieve automatically assumed the relationship came to its inevitable end.

Faye turned on her heel to face the brunette, “This is a stupid question, but are you okay?” She imitated Genevieve’s voice. “Of course I’m okay.” She answered sarcastically and threw the tissue that was in her hand, aside. “I just love to play dress up and apply my makeup in order to come bawl my eyes out in the bathroom at a social event!” Genevieve smiled apologetically at the fashion icon. “Do not waste my time with your stupid questions when it so obvious what the answer is.”

“You’re right, I shouldn’t have.” Genevieve suddenly apologized and became very self-conscious. She was always too nice, too soft. “I’m so sorry.” She added and went closer to Faye. “If there’s anything I could do to help you…” She started hesitantly. “I…I could help fix your makeup, if you’d trust me to.”

Faye shook her head in anger, “No, you certainly can’t help me and you definitely won’t help me with my makeup.” She started to wipe the mascara away and applied a layer of red lipstick on her lips. “FIY, not that it matters, not that it would make much of a difference any way, but I don’t trust you.” Genevieve washed her hands in silence and tried her best not to aggravate Faye anymore than she already had. Once Faye was done, she sauntered out of the bathroom.

Genevieve let out a sigh of relief. She always thought the moment she met Faye Austin that the actress would be a little more glamorous and a little less rude.

She left the room and nearly ran into Carter, “Whoa, take it easy. I don’t want my girl falling all over the place.” She smiled happily at him before he cupped her face with his hands and pressed his lips against hers. He pulled away and left her hungry for more. “We should really return to the party. I mean, I didn’t bring you here so we could kiss in one of the many hallways of the Coventry mansion.” He took a hold of her hand and led her back to the party.

The journalist asked the members of the Coventry family to gather closer for a photo and Genevieve could see the envy in Carter’s eyes. He wanted his father to be Man of the Year, he wanted the journalist to take photos of his family, and he wanted the spotlight to be on his family and no one else’s. He had an intense desire for attention from the public, from the world.

“How about a photo of the only children from the Coventry and Hollingsworth family,” The journalist suggested and motioned for Vaughan and Carter to stand next to each other.

“Reporters these days,” Rebecca complained to Vaughan and shook her head in disapproval. In her eyes, the journalists lacked ambition and drive. They didn’t even do the trouble to know the Coventry family consisted of three children, not just one. “To forget about your brother and sister…” She trailed off.

“It’s only because they’re never around,” Vaughan stated bluntly before he went to stand next to Carter. It was no lie. Tonight, Callahan was being honored as Man of the Year and only Vaughan showed up. Annabelle didn’t even know about her father’s achievement and Garrett didn’t want to attend and support the hypocrisy of the event.

Genevieve twirled a chocolate brown curl in her fingers and bit down on her lower lip anxiously. She didn’t want Carter to lose his temper, especially in front of all these people. Fortunately, both men forced a smile and played the role of best friends as society would want to see in page six soon enough.

“It’s pretty impressive,” Genevieve heard a female voice and then Faye Austin stood beside her. Genevieve stared at her questioningly. She rolled her eyes irritated. “Darling, isn’t it obvious? I’m referring to their ability to pretend to tolerate each other. Their acting skills are almost as good as mine,” The brunette praised herself with a mischievous smile. “You’re Hollingsworth newest conquest.”

“Excuse me?” Genevieve asked offended by the fashion icon’s audacity. She started to dislike her more and more. “Conquest? I’m his girlfriend.” She corrected her.

“I didn’t ask you,” The brunette handed her empty champagne glass to Genevieve like she was the help. “Ciao.” She turned on her heel and walked away. Faye was clearly an excellent actress – a few minutes ago she was an emotional mess and here she was now, Little Miss Sunshine.

Genevieve didn’t even have a moment to recover from Faye’s behavior when she felt a hand on her shoulder and spun around to face a man with short raven black hair in a black tuxedo. “You are Genevieve Blair, aren’t you?” He checked and when the brunette nodded hesitantly, he continued with a smile of satisfaction. “I do feel oddly compelled to apologize for Faye’s unacceptable behavior. She can get a little carried away with the verbal punches.”

“Oh, no, it’s okay.” The brunette assured him and automatically assumed he was a relative of Faye. “We all have our bad days, but it’s okay, really.” She said sincerely. “But thank you for doing the trouble to apologize on her behalf. I’m sure she doesn’t mean anything she says out of anger.” It was so typical of Genevieve to see the good in people.

The male chuckled in disbelief, “No, trust me, she means every word that comes out of her mouth. That’s Faye for you. Where are my manners,” He paused and briefly looked up at the ceiling. “I’m Julian Austin, I’m Faye’s father. I’m mostly to blame for her rather short temper, it’s genetics.”

Genevieve smiled warmly, “It’s nice to meet you, Mr. Austin. As for Faye…I can take her verbal punches any day of the week.” She told him.

“I’m sure you can,” He said reassured as he looked her up and down, but not in an inappropriate manner. “You must be able to otherwise you surely won’t be by the Hollingsworth’s side for four months and counting.”

“Julian, what business do you have with my girlfriend?” Carter returned and wanted to know. He very protectively placed an arm around Genevieve.

Needless to say, Carter and Julian didn’t get along all too well. Carter loathed how Julian acted all high and mighty when he wasn’t even one of the five wealthiest families in New York, even though he used to be. He always found Julian’s rudeness as an attempt to hide the jealousy he felt for the five elite families.

“Don’t call me Julian.” The older male told him and there was more authority in his tone of voice than there was in Carter’s. “As for Genevieve, we were simply discussing my daughter, Faye. Luckily you never got your dirty hands on her. Genevieve, I hope you have a lovely evening, despite your choice in companion.” Julian smiled one last time at her before he left.

The rest of the night, Carter was in a foul mood and rather rude towards Genevieve and everyone else. But she refused to let it get to her; she didn’t want to give up on her dream of being the politician’s wife. This is what she wanted ever since she knew what a politician was.
♠ ♠ ♠
Feedback is gladly appreciated.