Sequel: 12 Years of Secrets
Status: active

Untangle Me

Cycles, Phases and Spies

I paced the living room, glancing every so often at the watch on my wrist. It was near eleven pm and Sirius still wasn't home yet, infact he was late. Every noise I heard caused me to jump and I had to stifle a scream each time. Although some time had passed since my attack, I still never felt truly safe alone anymore. My wand was pointed towards the door as it turned eleven. There were voices as the door clicked open and as Sirius walked in followed closely by Remus, my face flooded with relief. I ran over to them and wrapped my arms around them as tight as I could muster, considering my swollen belly. I was eight months pregnant and fit to burst.

"I have never felt more relieved!" I breathed.

Remus and Sirius took a seat on the couch and I began to make tea. Sometimes it was easier doing things the muggle way like Lily had taught me, it helped calm my nerves.
When I had finished, I handed them each a mug and took a seat on the arm of the couch next to Sirius.

"Why were you so late?" I asked.
"I ran into Moony down at Diagon Alley." Sirius explained.
"I was spying on a meeting. Dumbledore thinks that You-Know-Who is trying to round up werewolves. What I saw shocked me. These monsters eat people. They take pride in what they've become. It scares me." Remus admitted.
"You'd be a fool if you weren't scared, Remus." I soothed, "But you know as well as I that is not who you are. Now it's late so Remus, you can stay here, I won't hear of you going back outside at this time of night."
"Thank you Ophelia. Your kindness truly shines in these dark times."

I gave Remus a kiss on his cheek and pressed a chaste one to Sirius's lips. I offered my goodnights and went to bed thinking all the while of my poor friends suffering.
Truth be told, Remus looked awful. His appearance was more ragged than usual. His clothes torn and dirty. His hair was unwashed and his beard unkempt. Lily and I were going out of our minds with James and Sirius off on dangerous missions for the Order. Poor Petey looked like he was about to burst into tears every time we saw him. I barely slept most nights, always worried that Death Eaters would burst through the door and when I did manage sleep, I suffered with nightmares so vivid. Darkness, suffering and death followed even in my dreams.

It seemed like hours I lay awake before Sirius joined me. He slid into bed next to me in the dark. His hand rested on my bump and he pulled me into his chest, kissing the back of my head.

"I'm scared." I whispered into the darkness.
"Don't be." Sirius replied, "The war will be over soon and we can get a nice house in a quiet village somewhere."
"How can you be so sure?" I asked quietly.
"I just know, my love. I just know."
♠ ♠ ♠
This is terribly short, I'm aware and also very sorry so I'll update again tomorrow and I promise it will be a whole lot longer than this.