Sequel: 12 Years of Secrets
Status: active

Untangle Me

The Sorting

From the moment we had stepped out of our compartments, all Lily, Severus and I had heard was laughter and whispers. Three first years covered in bright yellow slime was surely a sight to behold. As we crossed the lake I spotted James and Sirius in a boat not too far from ours laughing their heads off at us. Anger boiled up inside of me and I wished more than ever I knew more spells so I could hex the hell out of them. I wanted to make them pay.

The sounds of screams filled the air followed by a large splash. After a few moments below water, Hagrid the schools games keeper reached in one giant hand and pulled out two very wet eleven year old boys. Sirius looked freezing cold, his teeth chattering together as his body shook. James was pulling seaweed out from his socks. I smiled smugly. Even if I hadn't been then one to tip over their boat, I was still glad it had happened.

When we finally crossed the lake and arrived at the castle, Hagrid left us outside the great hall and told us that someone would be along shortly.

"Did you enjoy your swim, Sirius?" I teased as he stood there looking sullen about his freezing cold uniform and robes.
"Just about as much as you enjoyed your sliming I'd imagine." he replied sarcastically.
"Revenge is a dish I find is best served freezing cold in a nice lake. Don't you?" I laughed. "And as for you James, I'm telling daddy about this."
"I swear I had nothing to do with it,!" James protested.

I knew he was telling the truth but I didn't care. I was just still so mad at him. I wouldn't really tell father and he knew it. James and I were a team. We would always protect eachother, so instead of retaliating further I turned away to join in the conversation Lily was having with Severus.

There was a loud cough and silence fell amongst us. Infront of us stood the most stern looking woman I had ever seen. I felt a bit frightened by her haughty, strict look.

"Good evening students, I am professor McGonagall. In a moment you will be following me into the great hall to await your sorting. When your name is called out simply just walk up to the stool, take a seat and place the sorting hat on your head. A house will be called out then you will take a seat at your chosen house table. I'm assuming you can all do that, even those of you who seem to have gotten into a mess already." McGonagall said her eyes lingering over James, Sirius, Lily, Severus and I.

With a casual flick of her wand we were clean again and I thanked Merlin that I didn't have to walk into a hall full of older students covered in repulsive yellow goo.

"I should tell you now that any rule breaking will lose you house points and result in punishment. On the other hand, good behaviour will be rewarded with house points. Those of you who are chosen to be in my house will do well to not lose us any house points this year, I'd very much like to win the house cup. Now, follow me."

The great hall was the most breathtaking thing I'd ever seen before. The school crest hung from beautifully woven banners. Four giant sand timers, each filled with thousands of beautiful different coloured gems (red, yellow, green and blue. The colours of the houses) were placed in a corner. The ceiling however had to be my favourite part. It had been charmed into mimicking the night sky outside and right now it was a navy blue with a million twinkling stars scattered across it.

McGonagall began reading names off a long piece of parchment and every time a new student would join a table, there would be a deafening applause. Ayesha Ali became the first Gryffindor, then there was a boy name Sebastian Arbuthnot who joined Slytherin.

"Sirius Black."

Sirius strode forward as bold as brass and placed the Sorting Hat on his head. For a moment Sirius looked worried with his eyes scrunched tight and his fingers gripping the edge of the stool he sat on. Only for a moment though because as soon as the Sorting Hat bellowed out "Gryffindor!" he looked as though he hadn't a care in the world. He placed himself in the middle of the table accepting praise and welcome from his fellow housemates. Maybe Severus was right and Slytherin wasn't such a bad house. Anything was better than being in the same house as stupid Sirius and his stupid pranks.

A few more names were called before it was Lily's turn. I wished her luck as Lily shuffled forward, keeping her eyes focused on the hat. She was sat there for a few moments before the hat yelled Gryffindor. I shot her a grin as she walked over to the Gryffindor table looking relieved.

Adam Farley was a short boy with a big, contagious smile. He became a Gryffindor.
Gwendoline Johnson had lots of freckles and round glasses, she joined Ravenclaw. Cassy Chan was a petite chinese girl with long sleek black hair. She looked overjoyed to be in Ravenclaw. Astoria Strongfellow had long nose and a face with an expression like she could smell dragon dung. Her expression changed into one of smugness when she joined Slytherin.

"James Potter."

I squeezed James' hand once and let him go as he made his way up to the stool where the sorting hat was waiting. As soon as he put it on his head, it yelled out Gryffindor and James punched the air causing a few students and teachers to laugh. He made his way to the seat Sirius had saved him and clinked goblets with him.

"Ophelia Potter."

I stumbled forward, trying not to trip over my slightly too long school robes and took my turn on the stool. I placed the hat on my head and almost jumped out of my skin with fright when a voice began speaking directly inside of my head.

"Ahh a twin eh? You strive to be different from your sibling. Forever feeling overshadowed, I see." The hat spoke to himself.
"You're rather intrusive, aren't you?" I thought to it.
"I must be my dear. For me to house you correctly, I must see into your head and your heart. Know your desires. I know you are smart, determined if not a little cunning. Oh ho, you're no Slytherin though my girl I'll tell you that and you're far too adventurous for Hufflepuff.. Definitely must be..

GRYFFINDOR!"

Yanking the hat off of my head with relief I made my way over to the Gryffindor table where my brother gave me a great big grin and even Sirius congratulated me. I took a seat next to Lily feeling grateful to no longer be underneath that nosey hat.
We watched as Severus became a Slytherin and Lily looked sad. They had been friends before coming to Hogwarts so I could understand her distaste for them being in separate houses.

"It's alright though I suppose, now that I have another friend." Lily smiled.
"You do?" I asked wondering who else she knew.
"Yes, silly! It's you. I mean we are friends aren't we?" she asked, her cheeks tinting pink.
"Best friends." I reassured her with a smile.