Sequel: 12 Years of Secrets
Status: active

Untangle Me

Silence In The Library

"Come on Potter, help me with my transfiguration homework tonight." Sirius asked as he leaned back in his chair.
"No."
"Aww, come on! Why not?"
"I've told you before, Black. I'm not doing your homework for you and besides, I already have plans with Lily and Severus."
"You're hanging out with Snivelly Snape!? Did you bang your head during quidditch practice?" Sirius asked reaching over to feel my head for any lumps and bumps.
"You know I did, you were the one who let the bludger out of it's case." I snapped swatting his hand away then closing my book that I had been trying to study and shoving it into my bag.

I couldn't study in the library without being harassed. I couldn't study in the common room without being harassed. Was there nowhere Marauder free in this entire school?

"It was an accident!" Sirius defended, holding up his hands.
"You're a liar, Black." I spat shoving the rest of my notes into my bag hurriedly before Madame Pince came to yell at us for being too loud. "Let's get one thing clear, never in a million years will I ever help you. You are an insolent little worm and you annoy me and quite frankly I don't care what you think of Severus, he is still Lily's friend so therefore he is mine too and that's all there is to it. And another thing; you can tell my dear brother to leave him alone too before I hex you both into the next lifetime."
"Your words wound me, Potter." Sirius said faking a knife wound to the heart followed by a very exaggerated and noisy death.

I left the library with all desire to study having been drained out of me by Sirius. He had spent most of the summer at home with me and James so I had seen more than enough of him to last me an eternity. If it was possible, as time went on he only seemed to get on my nerves more and more to the point where I went to stay at Lily's house for the last two weeks of summer. That drove James crazy, he'd been hopelessly and irrevocably in love with her since that day on the train. Lily on the other hand couldn't stand his obnoxious self. "It's amazing that you two are twins! Aside from looks and your unnatural ability to get into trouble, you're nothing alike." Perhaps it was mine and James' love of adventure and mischief that kept us close.

If I wasn't with Lily sitting under the large oak tree that sat next to the lake, her and I would be down at Hagrids having a cup of tea and if I wasn't there, well you could almost guarantee that I would be somewhere with James, Sirius, Remus and Peter doing something that would almost certainly end in a detention.

Most of the time I despised Sirius. His friendship had cause me to hang onto the scraps left of mine and James'. Of course I was always welcomed with open arms and no doubt a prank or two but I always felt slightly out of place being the only girl, causing me to spend more time with Lily and Ayesha, a fellow third year who shared our dorm.

I didn't understand why Sirius wanted me of all people to help him. Remus was more than capable of helping him. He almost always got perfect marks on all of his work.

Since I couldn't go back to the library or common room without no doubt running into someone I didn't want to see, I decided to head go for a walk to clear my head.
The sun was setting behind the forest, bright orange, purple, pink and red sky flashed through the trees as the warm breeze ruffled their leaves. It was beautiful to behold. There had always been something about sunsets that I found so calming.

I walked to my usual spot by the lake and sat down on my jumper, finding comfort in watching the water ripple as a group of fifth years skimmed stones across it. Finally feeling at peace I began to read through my copy of A History of Magic, continuing where I had left off in the library. Professor Binns was throwing a test tomorrow and I couldn't for the life remember if it was Narcaius the Nasty or Nordstrok the Notorious that had taken part in a four day showdown with The Ministry of Magic.

"Sickle for your thoughts?"

Remus was sitting down next to me. I had been so deep in thought I'd barely noticed his arrival.

"History of magic is boring." I sighed shutting the book.
"Anything I can help with?" Remus offered.
"Nah, think I'm just gonna wing it tomorrow."
"Think James and Sirius are going with the same idea."
"Don't mention his name to me." I snapped.
"Who? James?" Remus asked confused.
"No, the other one."
Remus sighed, "What has he done now?"