Sequel: 21

18

I Got A Heart And I Got A Soul

Image


Maylee Jae


I never truly understood why I had enjoyed having to wake up at a certain time every day for school or school activities. Now that I was graduated I was really enjoying my time working a "whenever" shift down at Lucky's Instruments. I did as I pleased and just showed up for 10 hours and worked. That was the awesome thing about my job, not set schedule. My parents however did not like that I had a job that gave me no responsibility because they found that it would not help my future but I knew differently.

When I started to work at Lucky's, I would never sing in public or even express that I had a knack for singing because I was raised in a household where singing was frowned upon, especially if it was the big times. I was raised in a home of a lawyer and a doctor, the last thing they wanted was for their child to dye her hair outrageous colors, get tattoos and attend concerts where there would possibly (but not that likely) be drugs passed out at the door. I will admit, I was sheltered my whole life until I began the prime age of 15.

That is when everything started to go downhill. I went from a straight A student to being a C student and barely making it through school. I had the knowledge to go far but I was constantly made fun of for being the "smartass bitch" in all my classes. The day of my 16 birthday I had died my hair seafoam green because I wanted to and everyone looked at me differently. I was no longer the "smartass bitch", I was the girl who was now one of the outcasts because I dye my hair weird colors and only wore band tees and skinny jeans.

Most of high school was spent searching for a place to belong in this town, state, country and world. I was a piece of work and had a major attitude problem. I started acting out and even broke the law a few times (nothing major, mainly just trespassing and being out past curfew). I found with my parents on a constant because at the end of my senior year, I had not applied to any colleges nor had I attempted to even look for a job, I was just going to school and maintaining my C grades so that I could pass and get out of the hell hole that was Monrovia High School. I knew I was more than likely destined to never leave Monrovia but a girl could hope.

Every Saturday my work had open mic night and that is where I would perform songs that I had written. Some local talent would come out and the occasional band member would come for the drinks and the music but nothing really came out of it. It was, at this point, just fun and games. I found that Saturdays had easily become my favorite day of the week because of open mic night. I would wake up earlier and get to work so that I knew everything was ready for a night of singing.

"Maylee Jae?" A soft knock came at my door and I held back a groan as I rolled my eyes. My mother would do this every Saturday around the time that she knew I would be awake. She would always try to talk me out of going to Lucky's and performing.

"I'm up." I said with a yawn. The door opened and my mother's head popped in. She gave me a small smile.

"Do you have any plans tonight?" She asked me. I nodded and her face fell. "You should really stop going to those silly open mic nights, Maylee."

"I'm sorry mom. But tonight could be my big break. I can just feel it." I said looking at her. She shook her head disapprovingly and left my room. I ran my fingers through my layered red hair and heave a sigh. This was the first time in two years that I had normalish colored hair. I had always had the outrageous look at me hair.

I pushed the blankets off my legs and looked down at the intricate rose tattoo that I had recently got on the top of my right foot. It was my first tattoo and a graduation present to myself. I had always wanted a tattoo but I was never old enough and I did not have the money to do so until I got a job. I had went in and told the tattoo artist what I wanted and where and told him that he had absolute freedom to what whatever he pleased with it. Needless to say, I was extremely happy with how it turned out.

I placed my feet on the carpeted floor and stood up with a yawn followed by a stretch. This was my morning, ergh afternoon routine. I would wake up and stretch for like a minute to get the sleep out of my system before getting ready for the day. I always made the best of my Saturdays because they were the best day of the week. I made my way to the bathroom and applied some winged eyeliner and mascara before dressing in a black t-shirt and a pair of skinny jeans. I finished the outside off with a light jacket and a pair of boots. I put on my choker necklace and beanie as I pushed my glasses up on my nose.

"I'm off to work." I told my mom as I grabbed my car keys. She replied drearily with okay and I was out the door to work.

***


Work had gone by so quickly that I had felt as if I had gotten nothing done today. Dawn and Luke had spent a majority of the day getting ready for open mic night. I smiled at my co workers as they began to argue over something that I couldn't hear.

"Fine, we can have Jae settle this." Luke said looking over at me. I looked at the engaged couple with wide eyes. They had been together for the last five years and whenever they had an argument, they would seek my advice, the 18 year old single lady.

"What's up guys?" I asked them as they walked over to the front counter where I was sitting waiting for some to come in. Dawn glared at Luke before looking at me.

"We can't settle on a wedding date." Dawn said. Luke rolled his eyes. "I want to have a fall wedding but he wants a summer or winter wedding."

"Late spring." I said looking at them. "It's a mix of all the season and this way I can work in piece while I think about what song I'm going to do tonight.

"Are you going to do one of your own songs or a cover?" Luke asked me. He looked happy that I changed the subject. I bit my lip and looked down at my feet and then back up to him.

"I might do a cover. Tonight feels like it will be the night that I will get discovered." I said happily. Dawn squealed and hugged me.

"I'm hoping for you, Jae." Dawn said happily. I smiled at her as the usual open mic night crowd began to saunter into the small store.

"Are you singing tonight, Jae?" Harvey asked me as he walked in with his guitar in hand. I nodded and a smile spread across his face before he went and took a seat.

"Is Derek coming tonight?" Luke asked me. I stopped smiling and shook my head. "What happened?"

"We broke up." I shrugged.

"What? Why?" Dawn asked.

"He called me stupid for wanting to pursue a career as a singer so I broke up with him." I said as my boss went up the microphone with a smile on his face.

"So just like every Saturday, Maylee Jae will be going first." He smiled at me. I gave him a thank you nod before grabbing my acoustic guitar and walking to the stage. I sat down on the stool.

"Hey everyone. As you all know, I'm Maylee Jae. I am going to do a cover song. The song is called 'Dr. Shavargo Pt. 3' by Attack Attack!. I hope you all like it."

"As always
It's all for you
As always
It's all for you
As always
It's all for you
As always
." I smiled as I sang an acoustic version of a song that was quite the opposite.

I'm all yours
Just take me now
I'm all yours
Just take me now
I'll rip out your heart
And your eyes until
You see the love I have inside
For you, carry on this way
and I will go and learn the truth.
I will go and let this down for me,
And its all for you,
Take me never let me go,
Take me, I'll go and seek the truth

I cannot live without you near
I can't go on without you here
You're the reason why
Simply, because you're everything
I want and more

Take my hand,
I'll keep you safe,
Take my hand
Take my hand,
I'll keep you safe,
Take my hand

The truth will set you free,
Just hold my hand,
I'll keep you safe,
I know you're confused,
But I will always
Refuse to take you for granted

Ill rip out your heart and your eyes until,
You see the love I have inside,
For you, carry on this way, till you will go
And see the truth.

Come on girl,
I've been waiting for you to make your move
Come on girl,
I've been waiting for you to make your move

As always its all for you
As always its all for you
." I finished the song with a smile and said thanks before hopping off the stage. I liked to go first because it gave me less pressure. Everyone in this town knew I wanted to be a singer and no one tried to get in my way, which was nice.

I sat down on the loveseat and opened up the bottle of water that I had grabbed once I walked off the stage. I brought it to my lips and drank some as a tall and lanky man sat next to my on the loveseat. I turned my attention to him and glared at him. He looked at me and smiled.

"Take a hint, dude." I scolded the tall man who decided to sit next to me as I drank my water since I had just come off the stage from singing. "Stand up. Take a walk. Go to the airport. Get on a plane. Never return."

"I thought you were a fan?" He chuckled. I looked at him in confusion. "You just sang my song. Which you did a great job on."

"Wait... you are the actual lead singer of Attack Attack!?" I asked him. He nodded and smiled at me. "Holy shit. I'm sorry for being rude."

"It's no big deal. I just wanted to get your contact info to send to my manager. I already sent him a video of you singing." As the words came out of his mouth, I turned and looked at him.

"What?" He nodded happily. "That's fucking amazing." I pulled him into a hug and gave him a squeeze. I pushed him away and looked at him. "I'm Maylee."

"Austin, Austin Carlile." I stared at him for a few seconds before settling against the loveseat and striking up a conversation with him that lasted hours.

***


"I really enjoyed talking to you, Maylee." Austin smiled at me as he walked me to my car. I unlocked the door and he held it open for me. I slid in and started the car, rushing to roll the window down. Austin carefully shut the door and leaned against my car.

"Let me know when you get home so I know you made it home safe." I told him. He nodded and smiled down at me.

"I will, Maylee. Drive safe." He smiled at me. He turned from my car and started to walk away. He turned the corner and he was gone. I drove home and showered, changing into a loose fitting shirt and a pair of capri leggings. I pulled my hair into a sloppy bun and climbed into my bed. I shut off my light and plugged my cell phone into the charger. I was about to set my phone down onto the side table when it lit up. I grabbed it and opened the message.

"From Unknown: Hey. Its Austin. I made it home." I quickly saved his number and thought about what I was going to say to him.

"To Austin: Good, good. Now I can sleep knowing you made it home safely."

"From Austin: Going to bed?"

"To Austin: I probably should since I have to work tomorrow."

"From Austin: But?"

"To Austin: But I can stay up for a little bit to talk to you." And that is what I had done for a majority of the night. I talked with Austin and got to know him as a person and not just an artist.
♠ ♠ ♠
Maylee
Maylee's Outfit