Status: Hiatus until further notice due to internet issues.

Tomorrow's Money

7 - Tiffany

Sunday night.

I found myself groaning as I slipped on my new dress my mom had gotten for me for a party at her best friend's house. It was kind of amazing how there was never a night without a party. I didn't even know how I'd gotten stuck into going to this thing. I was normally pretty good at getting out of things, but this, for some reason, was not going away.

"Dad, please, talk some sense into your wife." I plead on our way out the door. "I really don't want to go."

"Look, Lilian, there's nothing more I can do. I was able to get you on that date yesterday, I don't think I'll be able to get you out of this as well." He explained, straightening his tie.

"I know, I appreciate the whole thing yesterday, but I really hate parties." I complained, feeling a little childish.

"Let's get a move on we're going to be late." My mother's shrill voice came fro the kitchen. She waltzed passed us out the front door to the car, trying to hurry us along.

I got in the car and pouted the whole way to the party. When we got there the huge house was filled with people, as always. My parents went their own way at the door, leaving me to mingle by myself. Oddly, quite a few people my age were there with their parents, but I didn't really know any of them, nor was I on a first nae basis by any means, until I saw her. Tiffany Carter.

Tiffany was my beset friend from elementary school until 2 years prior when she'd moved to Italy to stay with her father. I hadn't had contact with her since she left, as her parents wouldn't allow her to talk to anyone from the states. She'd left on bad terms. She had a boyfriend, Charlie, who ended up drugging her, raping her, and leaving her for dead. Her parents, being as protective as they were, sent her to Italy when they lost the trial. Apparently she had been "asking for it." Fucking pricks. She'd been sent away, in fear of Charlie trying again. It was a scary time, and I would have done anything to be there for her, but we ere left with no means of communication. Seeing this girl again meant the world to me, even if she was just naturally a bit of a snobby bitch. I loved her anyway.

"Oh my god Tiffany?!" I called after her the moment I saw her.

"Lily?! Oh my gosh!" She ran at me full force, engulfing me in a hug.

"I missed you so much! What are you doing here?" I asked, completely in shock. I never expected to see her again.

"Well, as you know, my 18th birthday was last week, and as an adult, I made the decision to try coming home." She smiled, clearly excited to see me again. "I was hoping you'd come to this party. I didn't know how else to reach you."

I noticed she had a slight Italian accent now. I laughed a little, knowing she hadn't even noticed her change in speech. "I'm so glad you're back." I hugged her again. "Let's go catch up?" I asked, leading her to the front door so we could talk outside, privately.

She nodded and followed me outside, sitting next to me on a bench. "How have you been? What's new?" She asked.

"Well, I have so much to say, I don't know where to begin." I laughed. "I finally convinced my parents to let me go to public school for a semester. I've always wanted to try it."

"Ew." She said, laughing but still her old snobby self. "I never understood that. But you're having fun with it then?" She asked, still being supportive as always.

"Yeah. And, honestly, I've been kind of seeing someone, a little.." I admitted. I wasn't afraid to tell Tiffany anything. She was still my best friend, even if she had been gone for so long. I knew she wouldn't judge me.

"Ooh! Who? Is he cute?" She gushed, always hungry for details.

"Well, it's a little complicated, and I want you to just not judge me for this, okay?" I was getting nervous, but I had to tell someone, anyone. It was just amazing that I could tell her, she would have been my first choice anyway.

"Promise." She said, getting a little concerned herself.

"Well, his name is Gerard. He's a college student, a fine arts major, and he's 24." I said, slowly.

"Oh my god. I didn't know you liked older guys!" She laughed, making me laugh and ease up too.

"And uh, he's a student teacher at my school right now, and kind of our substitute for a while." I shrugged, hoping he demeanor wouldn't change.

"Oh." she said, sitting back in her seat. "I see. Well, is he a cute student teacher?" We both busted out into laughter again. This was one of the many reasons she was my best friend. "In all seriousness, who knows about this?"

"No one, other than you. I mean, we aren't technically dating, like he's not my boyfriend, but he came over a few nights ago and we kissed.. And then last night he took me out and we made out in the back of a movie theater." I squeezed my eyes shut, preparing for the high pitched squeal that came from Tiff.

"That's insane!" She yelled.

"Shhh! Don't let anyone hear you! It's a secret!" I hushed her.

"What are you going to tell your parents?" She asked, knowing how weird they were about the guys I dated.

"Well, they met him. They know he's a college student and that he's into art and music. They think he's 19." I chuckled, not even realizing how ridiculous this all sounded until it was said out loud.

"He must be a babe for you to go to all this trouble for the poor bastard." She smiled. "Now I demand a picture."

"Okay, let me see if I can find one. He does shows locally, so maybe there's one on the internet somewhere." I google searched Gerard's name, only to find about 2 real pictures of him. I showed Tiffany. "These aren't great ones, I swear he's much cuter in person."

"What are you talking about? He's gorgeous!" She gushed again. "When do I meet Mr. Prince Charming?"

"I'll ask him tomorrow." I smiled, happy to finally have someone excited with me about my life. It was definitely a relief. "So what's been going on with you?"

"Honestly? Italy wasn't exactly what I'd hoped. It was literally just a fallout shelter. I barely talked to anyone, I was always in the house, I didn't even date anyone the whole time. I was miserable." I felt bad for her. She'd been through such a hard time and then had her life ruined even more by having to run away, and none of it ever should have happened.

"I'm sorry to hear that Tiff. Maybe now you can go back to a fun, normal life." I wanted to make her happy. I knew her mom was probably unhappy about her being back, it was hard on everyone. "After school tomorrow, I want you to come over and spend the night with me, okay?"

"Absolutely. I've been dying for a girls' night." She laughed. We exchanged numbers and talked about our lives for the rest of the evening. I was sad to go back home, but also just as happy because I knew i'd see Gerard at school.

Sleeping that night had never been easier. I was happy again. My best friend was back, I finally got to tell my secret, and the guy I really liked actually liked me back and I'd be seeing him within hours. Things were finally looking up for me.

I went to school the next day, trying to pay attention to my classes through all the texts from Tiff. She'd obviously really missed me just as much as I missed her. I went to art, completely forgetting that I had to face Marley, who was already suspicious.

"Hey." She said when I walked in.

"Oh hey Marley." I said as I got my things out for my sculpture project.

"So how was your weekend?" She asked, as if I were hiding something, which I was.

"Great. My best friend came back from Italy and I've been catching up with her." I said. It wasn't a lie, but it wasn't exactly the whole truth either.

"Oh. Well I was supposed to go hang out at Gerard's on Saturday with Mikey but apparently he wasn't home." She said, maybe trying to imply something?

"Oh, that's lame. Did you ask him why he wasn't home?" I asked, playing it cool.

"Yeah, he said he was hanging out with Frank but I don't believe him." She said, a bit angrily.

"Why wouldn't you believe him?" I asked, getting more paranoid.

"Because Frank said he had no idea what I was talking about when I asked if Gerard was with him." She glared as Gerard entered the class room, giving everyone the silent okay to work on their projects.

"So what do you think he's doing then?" I asked.

"I don't know. But I will find out." She threatened. I didn't know what she knew, but I was scared.

I avoided Marley best I could, putting in my earbuds and turning my music up. I didn't wan to be stressed out by her. It wasn't her business. It's not like he had to answer to her or anything.

The bell rang sometime later, I'd been really distracted by my music and project. I started cleaning up, knowing I wouldn't get to my next class on time. "You're a little late on the clean up don't you think?" Gerard said, walking towards me after everyone had left and the door was shut.

"A little. I was distracted, sorry." I apologized.

"What's on your mind?" he asked, helping me clean up.

"It's Marley. She was asking me what you were doing Saturday night. She said you lied about being with Frank and it's like she was threatening me." I explained, feeling frantic.

"Marley doesn't know anything, and my life isn't her damn business. She always does this. Every time she thinks I have something going on she sneaks around and has to find out what's going on. I've had her follow me to bars before, like, she's nuts. I don't know why she does it, but it's weird." He explained. I hadn't realized that Marley kept such close tabs on Gerard. Maybe Gerard was the reason she was with Mikey?

"That's weird." I said, shaking my head. I suddenly felt him behind me, wrapping me in a hug. He turned me around and kissed me, then slowly backed away a bit.

"Sorry. I wanted to do that since you walked into class." He smiled, making me smile too.

"We have to be careful. I'd rather not anyone see us, at least until I'm 18 and my parents can't take you to court." I chuckled.

"We'll be fine." He smiled and took my hands in his. "Don't worry about anything. Now let me write you a pass so you don't get in trouble. You're late." He went to his desk and wrote me a pass. I thought it was kind of funny how he could kiss me, hold my hands, and then tell me he was going to write me a pass to class! What an odd.. Relationship.. Thing.

I went to class with my palms sweating and face beat red. He had such an effect on me that I hoped I could hold onto. Little did I know everything was about to blow up in my face.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys!!! I'm glad you're liking this! I really appreciate the comments <3 Thank you all so much! Next upate is Friday!