The Marked

Seventeen Ain't So Sweet

It was official, I was sick.

I threw another Kleenex in the trash bin stationed beside my bed. I felt icky and gross everywhere, my pj's were sticky with sweat and my brain felt like target practice for a large hammer.

"Ugh," I groaned, tapping around the bedside table, feeling for the infernal phone. Had the ring-tone always been so loud? I swiped my finger across the screen. "Yeah...?"

"Hey, baby girl. You don't sound so hot." Mom's voice was sad and pouty.

A dry chuckle burst out.

"Were you expecting me to feel better thirty minutes after you called? Not very doctorly of you, Mom."

"Ha, ha, ha. Well, you're making jokes, I can safely say you're on the road to recovery..." She paused for a sec, answering some question. Something about her having booked an ER for later in the afternoon. "Sorry, baby, a nurse just got my patient mixed up with Kim's and now I have to operate earlier. But we can talk while I walk there."

"Or you can stop being such a Mother hen?"

"Nope," I half-smiled, sinking my head into the fluffy pillow. "I know this sucks, Chloe, I really do. I wish I could be there with you."

"I know, Mom. It's okay, though. You save lives there—you keep a lot of Moms from losing their kids. It makes you the best person I know."

"Aw, sweetie!"

I blushed, "The fever must be getting worse... I just said something incredibly poetic."

Mom snorted, but then, in a serious tone she asked, "How's the fever, really?" I told her I'd taken my temperature ten minutes back and it had lowered. A bit. "Good. Is Jenna going over?"

"No, I wouldn't want her to catch whatever nasty bug I have."

She made a sound of frustration, "It's your seventeenth birthday and you don't even have a cake. A cake! I'm the lousiest Mother in the history of motherhood."

"You know I only like one cake, anyway. So, don't worry." The one with the crunchy stuff in the middle. Yum.

"It's impossible not to."

"Mom, seriously, work. Focus on treating the actual sick people. I just have a nasty flu." Which happened to be on my birthday. "I'll be fine—I am fine."

After a long pause, I heard Mom sigh into the receiver.

"Alright," she conceded. "But if you need anything—"

A sudden on knock on my balcony window caused me to jump. I trapped a yelp. The last thing I needed was Mom rushing over. As she kept dictating on how I should take antibiotics, I stared at my window, blinking. The egg shell curtains were drawn, I could however, make out a silhouette. It was a person. Well, duh, Chloe. But it wasn't just a person... Tall, wide shoulders—a guy.

Just when I thought Mom would talk on forever and I'd spend the rest of the day staring at whoever, my phone vibrated. I pulled it away.

An incoming call. From Wade.

My brown eyes eyeballed the curtain. The guy had raised an arm, pressing his hand to his face—his ear.

No way.

"Chloe? Did you fall asleep on me..." Still gaping, I mumbled no. "Well, be safe and call me if you need anything—"

"I won't. I love you, bye!" I ended the call.

I stared at the incoming call one last second before answering.

"Hello?" I mentally cursed. My voice sounded nasal. Total sick person voice.

"Hi, birthday girl." Wade's soft, deep voice tingled me. all the way from my eardrums to my toes—was it the stupidest thing? My toes curling because of his voice?

"Hey,"

"You already said that," he said, breathing a low chuckle. "So, are you in your room?"

Catching on, I sat up, looking at his shadow with amusement.

"Oh, no. I was feeling better, I'm at Jenna's. Why?"

I pursed my lips, watching as he shifted outside.

"Huh... I kinda came over to your place. I thought, well, it's your birthday and I didn't want you to be alone. And sick. It sucks. I was sick on my birthday once and I spent all day between my bed, the living room's couch..."

I had wiggled out from under the hot covers and paddled my way to the french doors leading to my small balcony. Pulling the curtains aside with a dramatic flare, I grinned pushing away the fierce pounding in my left temple—Wade blinked several times before pocketing his phone, taking one step closer to the doors separating us. He shook his head finally leaving shock behind, a smirk graced those full lips once I twisted the key, pushing down the handle.

"You sneaky vixen," he murmured wasting no time stepping into my bedroom, enveloping me in a bear hug of epic proportions. "You had me fooled, babe. Should I be worried about your lying technique?"

My giggle was muffled by the T-shirt my face was being pressed into—oh, and the muscular chest helped, too.

"What?" he asked, pulling back.

"I said," I looked up into Wade's bright green eyes. God, they were twinkling. "You don't have to worry about a thing. I was just messing with you a little, you can't imagine how bored I've been all day."

"Your Mom's working?" I nodded. "Damn, Chloe, why didn't you call? I would've ditched practice." That had been why I hadn't called. He loved soccer. It was a major passion in his life, ever since he could walk and kick, he'd taken a soccer ball for a best friend. His words, not mine.

"Mom's been calling me, like, every ten minutes. She thinks I can't take the right antibiotics or something." I sighed moving around him to close the doors, a small breeze was coming in and although I was feeling hot, I didn't need more shivers.

"She's a good Mom." Wade beat me to drawing the curtains. "How about Jenna?"

"I told her not to come..." I whirled with a pissy-pouty face on. "You shouldn't be here, either. I'm contagious—I should be put under quarantine."

He laughed deeply.

"It takes a lot for me to get sick."

"You better hope so, because if you get sick I'm kicking your butt." He looked me over, from my tangled mess of hair to my socked feet. I wasn't the shortest girl in school, I wasn't the tallest, either, so, the sweat pants I was wearing pooled around my feet, allowing only my toes show.

"Like you could beat my ass, shortcake." It was a good thing I was feverish, that way he couldn't tell I had a massive blush. "Come here," he pulled me along to bed. "You're going to get that sweet behind in bed before you collapse on me."

I didn't have much choice as Wade all but picked me up and deposited me in bed, pulling the covers up to my neck. Sheesh. He was just as bad as Mom. But... I sort of adored him for caring.

"Have you eaten?"

"Nope."

A scowl wrinkled his forehead. I dug my fingers into the comforter batting eyelashes fiercely, hoping it would get me off the hook for being a wee bit irresponsible. I hadn't felt like food would stay in my stomach for long.

"Where are you going?"

Wade halted two feet from the door. He threw one hell of a sweltering look over a shoulder, it gave shivers—the good kind. The kind that made teenage girls want to do all sorts of idiotic things.

"To your kitchen. See if I can fix you something birthday-worthy." It wasn't Wade's first time here. Or the first time he put together some food for me. "I won't take long. Don't miss me too much." He left with a cheeky smile.

I felt aware of something very strange when he left. Well, not strange because the thoughts were in my head every time me and Wade were alone in a private place, especially in my bedroom or his. We'd been together for almost three months, all through summer. Wade had climbed my balcony many times—without Mom knowing—using the oak tree stationed outside, its branches were sturdy enough to support his weight. Anyway, whenever we were alone... Yeah, I got thoughts of what we could do with a bed and privacy—

Sharp pain sliced through my temples. This time it felt like someone was screwing a bolt on either side of my head. Eyes slamming tightly shut, I felt coolness brush the little exposed skin as covers were thrown back in a dash of despair. I could feel myself contort, twist for some sort of pain outlet.

Stabbing needles clawed at my back—I arched off bed. My hearing swam, like I'd fallen down a well and somewhere at the end of this long tunnel people were shouting. Calling. But there were so many... voices. They slammed me left and right, kicked and fought each other for a seat in first row.

I couldn't make out a single whisper. They all muddled in a puddle, leeching to my body—my mind. I had no idea what to search for, where to turn. It was crushing and then... my back. It was killing me it was...

Voices cleared out from within as my mind illuminated with this picture, this image, of a flower. It was absolutely breathtaking. The cramps didn't cease but somehow seeing this flower—a pink Lotus—drove it from my mind. Some people agreed pain only existed in our mind, I always thought those people were nutty. Now, I was beginning to wonder if they were correct.

White surrounded the Lotus. It was flourishing, opening up for what looked like its first time. Its petals were brand new, dripping dew and splendor causing my heart rate to quicken. I breathed in deeply, rejoicing in a pure white glow, sunbathing in warm sun rays.

Suddenly, I was pulled from the light corner in my mind. The Lotus was gone. I was staring up at the ceiling where a huge sticker of a crescent moon was. In front of it, were dozens of little star stickers. When the lights were off they glowed. Mom had put them there when me and Jenna had our first sleepover, we had been... Nine? I think.

"Chloe," slowly, I turned to face the bedroom's door. Wade stood there holding a tray, an eyebrow was elegantly arched. "I had no idea you were such a stubborn patient."

Huh?

I blinked before looking down at myself. I'd kicked off covers, sheets and nearly the pillows from bed. Quickly, I tugged the sweatshirt down covering my stomach. Not that Wade hadn't seen it already, he had only... Well, it gave him other ideas.

"I..." What should I say...? I was thrown into a world of pain, twisted and writhed with thousands of voices in my head—but wait! I saw a Lotus flower and the pain stopped, I felt myself yield in its presence. I know it sounds crazy—but I'm not! God. I swallowed. "I... was feeling too hot." Plausible enough. Plus, wouldn't send him packing.

Wade nodded stepping inside. I breathed with relief. For a minute, I thought he'd seen me act like the chick from the Exorcist. That would've been a no-no for our relationship. As I moved to sit, a smooth pinching came from between my shoulders. God, not again, I prayed. I finished sitting against the headboard.

No pain. Just a slight itching sensation. I could ignore it, mostly. But my curiosity was running high, what the hell was going on back there? This happened before. The first time had been almost a week back, when me and Wade headed down into trig class. Headaches were brief, back pain was extreme. Luckily it happened at night or not so luckily, since I hadn't been getting the best beauty rest.

If it wasn't for Jenna's last year birthday gift—a full make-up set—I would've gone to school with some fierce shadows under my eyes.

The downside of being daughter to a doctor: you knew symptoms of various deceases. Several times I thought about Epilepsy. Could the thrashing be seizures? Anyway, I hadn't mentioned them to Mom because it wasn't just the pain. The echoing voices weren't a first, either.

Chestnut strands bumped Wade's eyebrows as he leaned in, grazing our noses. I gave a wild-cat jump.

"Do you want to get sick?"

Wade rolled his eyes. I silently fumed at his lack of worry. He'd placed the tray on the glass desk next to the French doors and was in the midst of retrieving the sheets, covers and pillow fluffing. Aw. That sort of made him sweeter than a jelly doughnut.

I propped my back on the pillows. Wade turned around, grabbing the tray, placing it on my covered lap. Three toasty pancakes with a smiley face made of whipped cream stared up at me. This boy was keeper material, Jenna would say.

Wade picked up the fork and knife slicing the three layer of yumminess. Stabbing it, he lifted the fork to my mouth.

"You're baby-feeding me?" I gazed at him through hooded lids.

"Don't fight me on this." He fired, inching the food closer. "Open wide and make a wish." He winked looking damn sexy.

I couldn't wait any longer. Wade's pancakes were heaven on a plate. For real. It was the only thing he knew how to make, that and amazing subs, but I could live off the stuff. To hell with fat.

"Hmm," I savored the crispy taste, closing my eyes. A chuckle came from beside me. "More." I moaned.

"Your wish is my command, baby."

I opened my eyes half-way through the third bite. Wade settled beside me, atop the covers, we were hip-to-hip. He fed me until the plate had nothing but crumbs, even then, I felt like licking them.

Wade's thumb wiped across my lower lip, my breath held tight as our eyes fluttered together.

Wade licked his thumb still holding my brown eyes.

"Whipped cream doesn't taste half as good as you." Our foreheads pressed together. He inhaled deeply stealing my breath. He kissed my nose, pulling back to set the tray on the floor. Wade slid closer, slipping an arm around my waist, titling me into his side. "You tired?"

"Nope," I fought a yawn. "How was practice?"

"Lots of running, push-ups, sit-ups, squats. Some goal scoring. The usual." He shrugged. "How are you feeling, Chlo? Don't lie."

"Actually," I blinked. "I'm feeling much better." I was still feeling hot, but the soreness in my throat and muscles had gone down drastically. Maybe Wade's company and wonderful pancakes worked miracles.

He smiled widely, "Want to watch a horror movie?"

Oh, he knew just what I liked. It made not kissing him harder.

Wade reached for the remote on the bedside table turning on the small TV screen standing on a large shelf. He flipped through Netflix in search of a movie we hadn't seen before. The love for horror flicks was common ground for us. He finally chose House of Wax. Jared Padalecki starred as the main girl's boyfriend. Watching a movie with Wade beside me was always fun, especially when a hottie like Jared was in it. I liked making jealous. He got all sulky and possessive which made me want to wrap myself around him like a crazed spider-monkey.

"But you like him from Supernatural!" I gestured towards the screen where Jared was sliding down a small ravine.

His almond eyes popped.

"Thanks for ruining my favorite show."

"What?"

"Now every time I watch it I'll think of how 'dreamy Jared is'." He mimicked my words from minutes earlier with clear annoyance.

"Someone's jealous."

Wade withdrew his arm from around me, crossing them over his ample chest. I bit down a smirk loving that he was so easy to rile up. We spent the rest of the movie snuggling, after I broke Wade's resolve to stay mad at me, and when it was over night clung to the outside world, darkening the entire lane of houses. Mom would only come home around dawn, I'd be sleeping but would surely check up on me to make sure I hadn't taken too many pills and overdosed.

It was annoying how sometimes she treated me like a moron. Deep down, I knew it was her way to make up for the lost time, not only hers. Dad's too. Not that Dad was missing out on my life for the hell of it. He died in the line of duty when I was five. So, yeah, that's why Mom was so overbearing sometimes and it was why most times I was okay with it.

But her checking up on me meant Wade couldn't sleep over.

I bit my lip lifting my head off his comfy chest. His fingers had been toying with my dark hair for a while, it was a little miracle I hadn't fallen asleep and drooled all over his gray T-shirt. He looked peaceful. Eyes shut, body relaxed underneath me, chin resting atop my head. I hated breaking this.

I really, really did.

Alas, I poked between his pecks twice.

One bright emerald peeked at me.

"Can I help you?" he breathed in a deep naughty tone.

It was hell forcing myself from the gutter. I so wanted to let dirty thoughts roam. I let out an inaudible sigh.

"You need to leave." There. Just like ripping off a band-aid. Only much more painful. Wade's sudden closeness left me sweating. "Wade... You know my Mom comes to check on me when she gets home. Don't beg and argue that you'll be awake by the time she does, she still isn't convinced it wasn't you two weeks ago..."

"Really?"

I scowled. He pulled on an angelical looking mask. Ha. About two weeks back Wade convinced me he could stay alert for when Mom arrived, that he could bail through the balcony like an experienced burglar, without making a noise. Turns out stealth wasn't his forte. By the time Mom was upstairs he'd been rushing to put his clothes on and getting the French doors open. Mom came in just in time to catch the oak tree swaying, its leafs rustling. I'd told her it must've been a cat.

"Wade," I warned. He tilted back cursing under his breath. "You know I don't want you to go."

There was a pause, then a deep melancholic sigh.

"I know, shortcake."

Wade slipped off bed resigned, I followed suit wanting to walk him to the door. Since Mom wasn't home he could very well exit like a normal boyfriend. Every time he climbed that tree I prayed he didn't fall off and ended up with a broken leg. I slipped on fuzzy lion slippers, which Wade grinned at, and we made our way outside, heading down the simple hall and walking down the stairs to the small foyer. Wade disappeared into the kitchen for a second to put the tray there.

I was leaning on the white house door when he strolled back in, swagger in his step.

"Thank..." My nerves were momentarily shot. Needles danced along my back. I gritted my teeth. "Thanks..." I forced out, hoping I didn't look like a rigid dummy like in the movie we'd watched.

Wade's face flooded with confusion.

"For what?"

"Coming over..." I eased from the door, biting my tongue when my legs failed me. One of Wade's arms shot out to stable me. "And... for that." I meant for it as comic relief, smiling against the ache between my shoulders.

Wade didn't think it was funny.

"Did you skip any meds?"

"No..." I heaved as the pain subsided. Thank the Lord whatever was going on with my nervous system had been shorter this time.

His jaw ticked.

"Maybe I should stay for a while. We can check your temperature..."

New found strength pounded through my veins, I latched for the arm holding me.

"It's fine. I'm okay now, it was a little dizzy spell from getting up and walking. I was in bed all day... It happens. Don't worry." This time I actually conveyed a decent reassuring smile.

Wade looked like he wanted to go all He-man on me, throw me over a shoulder, carry me back to bed and stay until he was satisfied with my health. With these weird pain-stabs who knew how long it would take.

"Chloe..." he knew how independent I was, though. He knew I wasn't used to having people fussing all over, all the time. "You promise to call me if you need anything?"

"Yes."

"I mean anything."

"Yes, sir." He flicked my nose lovingly.

"Okay," he conceded. Before I managed to step from his one-arm embrace he clasped both my cheeks, drawing me in. Tender lips brushed my heated mouth. It was chaste. I kept waiting for his tongue to part my lips, but it didn't happen. It was only when Wade pulled back that I remembered why it wouldn't have been a good idea. "I hate you being sick." He stated as if reading my mind.

"Me too."

"Happy birthday, Chloe." He whispered by my ear. "I'm sorry our plans got derailed."

"Our plans?"

"Yeah, I told you I was planning something. Too bad you got sick." Damn. Now I was going to spend every hour obsessing over what it could've been. Wade's wolfish smirk told me he wasn't sharing.

I was drawn into a big warm hug before I unlocked the front door and Wade walked out, reminding me again to call if anything got worse. Or if I was just feeling bored and wanted to... play. I blushed madly shutting the door.

When my stupid heart calmed down from Wade's implications, I marched upstairs. I wiped my brow. Argh, I was all sweaty. Wade probably didn't mention it because he was a gentleman. Deciding to take a shower I grabbed a new set of pj's from my dresser, then headed into my tiny cubicle of a personal bathroom. It was only big enough for a tiny sink and shower. Seriously, the shower stand was a very small square.

I ditched the sweatpants first, then the sweatshirt feeling disgusted by how sticky it was. I shrugged multiple times trying to get rid of an uncomfortable itch. It was like having fire ants parading around... my back.

I gaped staring at the wall mirror above the sink.

The thought of calling Wade rushed to mind because maybe my fever had gotten totally out of hand. Because there was no way... I moved the long hair aside, pooling it over my left shoulder. The sight became more exposed. It didn't vanish.

It wasn't possible... I blinked once. Twice. As many times as needed before my brain finally processed the three spirals on my back. Processed that between my shoulder blades was a large tattoo of three spirals all connected in a central point.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here's the 2nd chapter! I want to thank everyone who's subscribed and those who've recommended this story, hopefully it'll keep drawing you guys in.