The Marked

What am I?

It's cold, I thought, shivering and pulling my legs close to my chest, trying to curl into a tight ball. A violent shiver had me reaching out for my sheets. My hand blindly searched for them, finding nothing. Nothing remotely close to sheets. Whatever was around me was moist and... it wasn't just around me. I shifted, hearing a crack and rustling. Opening my eyes, I stared, thinking this was another vivid dream. I was out in the woods, somewhere. Or at a park. I pulled myself off the ground, off my... bed of leaves? It was day. Cloudy weather, a windy day and I was next to a tree sleeping in my shorts and top. What. The. Actual. Fuck.

Oh my God. Where was I? How the hell had I gotten here? I ran my hands across my arms, shaking, looking frenetically at my surroundings. My fingers were so numb with cold I couldn't feel the goose-pumps along my skin. There didn't seem to be any cuts. I winced sitting up. Okay. Maybe there weren't cuts, but my leg muscles and abdomen were sore. I don't think they ever hurt this much. Maybe when Caleb convinced me to be his sparring kickboxing buddy. Ow. Ow. Every inch I moved was another inch I wanted to yell and fall back. Lie there for another couple of hours. But there was no way I could do that.

I had my ankle boots on. No socks. Leaning on the weirdly shaped tree, I prayed to every God and every star that I was still close to home. Then again, how many parks were close to home? Not panicking was becoming harder. My head swiped left. The world was coming into focus, cars were honking in that direction. It was then I noticed my long hair had been pinned into a bun. Touching it, I closed my eyes trying to remember doing it. I willed myself to remember anything I'd done, but it was no use. I saw flashes. Me running. Breathless. A strange sensation of... enjoyment. Almost... fulfillment. Those they... they felt like in my nightmares. Opening my eyes, I stumbled along the park's dirt path, tugging on my top to hide whatever I could. Why couldn't I sleep in long sleeved pj's? And with sweats?

I made it outside thanks to the sound of civilization. People on the street eyed me funny. Some were out running, others were just busy-bees going along their days, and I was a partially lost girl in her sleeping attire. Fantastic. The only upside to this sleepwalking horror, was the Mom wouldn't be home yet. She'd only get in a little before lunch hour. Plus, I knew where I was. I'd come out of San Francisco's Botanical Garden, which was a few miles away from home, Broderick Street. An hour on foot. And by the feel of things, I wouldn't be walking fast. I knew it was early, but didn't have a clue as to what hours were... It wasn't like I could hail a cab. I didn't have money on me.

Be brave, Chloe, I chanted, marching on the way home. Looking like some poor girl on a walk of shame or some morning after crap. I hugged myself as the wind grew colder. I was so going to throw a fit if I caught another flu virus. I was ignoring gawking stares when I felt it. Someone burning holes in me. My head whipped right, eyes suddenly sharper and... I don't think I'd ever seen this neatly. Building edges sharpened, car outlines did too, and for a second or two, people seemed to slow down. Not the noise. Just the motion of things. It broke when I blinked, seeing no one glaring at me from up-close or at a distance. Paranoia was joining the party too late. Yippe. I was half dragging myself up my street, struggling to breathe through my nose and not mouth, when I noticed my keys weren't on me. Of course. Why would they be? Somehow, I made it. Quickly, I ran around to our tiny backyard, having to hoist myself over the fence using the garbage bins for help. Once I was stepping on my property, I let out a sigh. It sounded more like a half-sob, half-laugh.

Looking up, where our tall tree led, I saw my balcony window cracked open. In a flash, I remembered whisking out and hopping down using the tree. Just like Wade did. Thing is, I made it look even more effortlessly, and that shouldn't be possible. But over these last few weeks, I'd become the poster child for non-normal, defying gravity and all that jazz. Filling my lungs with oxygen and determination, I began climbing the freaking tree. My nails were broken, dirt lodged underneath, my fingers were a little bruised and I wanted to fall over and die, but I needed to go higher. I did. When I scooted close enough on the thick branch to jump for my balcony, my vision swam. I jumped anyway, landing safely.

I was inside my bedroom. I'd made it all the way. Almost four miles. Oh God. This was real. I'd spent the night out. In my sleeping clothes and nothing I remembered came in one piece. What had I done? What was happening now? Wasn't the mind reading, the tattoo, the weird looking pupils and smell enough? Was I going bipolar some shit? Okay, no. Calm down, you need to stay calm... It was too much. I fell on my knees and cried. Started crying like never before. I honestly couldn't recall the last I'd cried, but I'd never done like this. I wept. Into my freaking calloused hands. I wiped at my face, smearing snot all across, hiccuped and hit my fists on the floor.

This was too much. What was I? What am I? What? What? I cried on the floor, trembling. I couldn't say whether it was fear or cold. I wanted answers. At this point, I was so desperate I'd take anything. A ray of hope. Someone who could tell me I wasn't insane. What am I becoming? The thought left me numb. I don't know when the crying stopped. I just stayed there on my carpet, eyes slit with exhaustion. I knew there was school. I needed to shower, get ready, go see Wade, Jenna, my friends. Be normal. Acting like myself. Whoever that was anymore. Getting off the floor took some convincing. Finally, I waltzed into the bathroom, undid my hair, got naked and threw myself inside the shower cubicle. Water ran down, dragging my sweat, dirt and a few leafs out of my hair.

I needed to be stronger than the tattoo's influence. I needed to push down these urges. I couldn't have a repeat of tonight. I... I was sleeping in a park! With little covering me, vulnerable. I could've been... raped. Kidnapped. Killed by some lunatic. The possibilities were endless. Right now, I needed to clean up nice and catch the bus to school. Hair in a towel, I opened my closet and reached for a fresh pair of dark, skinny jeans. I threw them on bed. Next, I grabbed a top and woolen sweater. I liked this sweater. White background with red and green triangles.

I was done with my clothes in five minutes. Blow drying my hair always took the longest. About twenty minutes. My stare was fixed on the mirror, on my own eyes. Round pupils. Huh, I wish they'd stay this way forever. I covered the black bags underneath my eyes, clipped my nails short and, well, I was no make-up artist so there was nothing I could do to hide the small bruising on my fingers.

I grabbed my books, putting them in my bag. I finally tapped my phone's screen and saw three texts from Jenna and one from Wade. Oh, and I could still barely make it on time for first period. Yay.

Just saw ghost-tat on vid. OMG.

Then another, Can u rly read you-know-what?

And lastly: I can't wait 2 c u! OMG

I rubbed my forehead. I texted back with a quick yes and yeah, me neither, while going downstairs and heading out. I needed to hurry to the bus station. The cramps in my muscles weren't exactly helpful. I only read Wade's when I reached the stop, gasping.

Good morning. Did you dream about me last night? *winky face*

Oh, Wade. I would give up anything to have dreamed at all. I wasn't sure how much I'd slept on that leaf bed. Only that it was almost eight and I was going to be late. Biting my lip, I locked the screen, putting away my phone. I didn't know what to text him back with.

***

Some part of my responsible senior brain wanted me to run down the hallway and burst into Trig, but that wasn't happening. Not in this reality. Plus... I glared at the ticking clock above a locker row. The bell had rang seven minutes ago. Huffing, I hefted my bag higher and allowed myself to shrink further into the baggy, oversized jacket Caleb, Jenna and Lana had gotten me for my birthday last year. It had a skater-vibe to it and was wool on the inside. With a big breath, I opened the door after knocking once, poking my head inside to see if Mrs. Fischer turn from the board. She waved me inside with a slightly exasperated face that told me I hadn't been the only person getting here after the bell. Wade's green eyes followed me until I slipped into my seat, in the desk in front of his.

I unzipped my jacket but didn't shrug it off. Lana gave me a quick thumbs-up. I forced a fast smile, before getting out my stuff and flipping open my notebook. I was busy copying whatever Mrs. Fischer hadn't erased when I was pen-poked. My shoulder jumped in reflex. I closed my eyes, sighing. I was jumpy. I didn't want to be. I wanted to act okay. But who wouldn't be jumpy in my situation? I'd ran around at night, in my freaking sleeping shorts and tank-top and woken up in a park!

"Yeah?" I whispered over my right shoulder.

I heard his chair squeak as he slid forward, closer to me.

"Everything okay?"

"Sure. Why wouldn't it be?" It came out a little too guarded. Wade either didn't notice because it was too early and his brain was sixty-nine percent asleep or he chose to ignore it.

"You're never late," Ah. "And you didn't text me back. I was starting to worry, babe." Shit. Yes, the texts. I hadn't returned either his or Jenna's. Too shaken up.

Wade's concern cut through my dark morning like a knife cuts through butter. Right here, right now, things were okay and I wasn't off doing Lord knows what. I was in control and I chose to turn a little more, drinking him in for the first time today with clear eyes. Wade was wearing a navy V-neck that was stretched across his chest. His chin was covered in a layer of sexy stubble and his chestnut hair was finishing drying, waves curling across his forehead and framing two bright esmeraldas. That was Spanish for 'emeralds'.

"I thought you'd be pretty disappointed with my answer." I whispered, hating again that I was lying. Or omitting.

Wade rolled his eyes, doing his best to hide amusement.

"Okay knowing I wasn't showcased in your dreams last night hurts, but whatever the answer is next time, answer me."

"I will. Promise," I smiled softly. Wade's lips inched a corner before he jutted his chin forward in warning. I whipped around just in time to see our trig teacher turn to the whole class, a new problem scribbled on the white board.

Class dragged on with me catching random thoughts here and there. Some voices I couldn't put a face to, but I was pretty sure I'd caught Wade's thoughts. Something about how he'd kick numbers in the crotch if they had one? I'd bit my cheek to keep from laughing like some loony. When class let out, I barely had time to grab my bag, Wade's fingers wrapped around my wrist and pulled me along. Outside, he kept pulling me until he made us dive inside an empty room. Wade locked the door behind us and backed me against a table. He dipped his head, taking hold of my mouth. A distinct thud came from my bag and his notebook hitting the floor. Wade grabbed my face with one hand, pushing the small of my back with the other. I responded heatedly to the kiss, grabbing at the hem of his shirt, pulling us closer. Wade's harsh breathing was outpaced like mine. Wade's teeth nibbled on my bottom lip and I stood on my tiptoes. The hand on my back slipped lower, cupping my butt. The hand cupping my cheek vanished. Both his hands were on my hips, his hold was firm and I was off my feet in seconds. He sat me on the table I'd been leaning on. I parted my legs so that he could fit between them. Our kiss never broke.

We were kissing until our lips bruised. Until pain flared in our jaws. He was bittersweet, like my favorite chocolate and I couldn't get enough. My fingers sunk into his hair. A sound came from the back of his throat; Wade's own dug into my thighs. He kissed a lip corner, then across my jaw line and kept dropping butterfly kisses down my neck. His breath on my skin was hot and it made me arch forward, into him. My hips bucked. My legs tightened on either side of him.

"Oh, Wade..." I hissed softly. "Wade..." I didn't know when it happened. But I was feeling hot everywhere. But specially somewhere down south. I moaned into his ear, locking my arms around his neck. "Ah... Wade..." My hips jolted forward-hitting Wade below the waist.

Wade pulled back, swallowing thickly. Panting. His lips were kissed raw. His eyes were shinning so bright... Like green fire. He kissed me again, a long peck, chaste and sweet. Our forehead bumped on accident. We both winced but Wade gave me a crooked smile, brushing back dark strands of hair.

"Maybe this wasn't such a good idea..." he trailed off, stealing a glance downward. I bit my lip. Wade's jeans were a little... bulkier than usual. "Think I can go take a cold shower before Calc?"

"I don't know. Do you think we'll still make it to Calc?" I joked closing my legs when he backed up, giving me room to cool off. Maybe Wade wasn't wrong about a cold shower. Or maybe ice-cubes? I pulled my jacket over my shoulders, having no idea when Wade had pulled it down.

Wade cleared his throat and turned away like he'd been caught red-handed with his hand in the cookie jar. He looked around and decided to grab our things off the floor. When I was confident enough that my legs wouldn't turn to putty under me, I slipped off the table.

"Shortcake, your phone's buzzing." His voice was still thick-thicker than I'd ever heard it. It was... sexy. Wade dug out my phone and I all but lunged for it when I saw it was Jenna. Shit. Wade had totally gotten my mind off my creepy dilemma. Which I loved-but Jenna was probably blowing a fuse.

"Jenna!" My voice came out loud and... thick. Great. Wade smoothed a hand through his hair, smiling. "Sorry, I'm with Wade. He kidnapped me right after trig-what? Okay. Yes-okay! Two minutes." I promised hanging up.

Wade was leaning against the table, arms crossed.

"Is she okay? She sounded like an angry mama-bear."

"You heard her?"

"I heard something. Not sure if they were words or growls..." Jenna had sounded nuts. Which I wasn't blaming her for.

"Yeah. She has a make-up emergency. She lost her lip-gloss and wants to borrow mine before her Chem class. I've got to go before she shakes down some poor girl for a gloss-fix." I slung my bag over a shoulder and headed for the door when a arm snuck around my waist, tugging me back. Wade's warmth seeped into my back. He held on tight, brushing his cheek on mine. "Wade," I warned, actually sounding in a hurry.

He took the hint, kissing my head before letting me stumble to the door. I threw one last disbelieving glance his way, catching him smirking boyishly, before I unlocked the door and bolted for the bathroom on the second floor where Jenna was. I couldn't get my sweet ass upstairs quick enough, when I burst inside the girl's bathroom I had it on good authority that five out of ten people I'd rushed past in the hallways hated me because I'd pushed past them. Jenna being Jenna, was actually re-applying lipstick. She capped it when she caught my eye in the mirror.

Jenna whirled around, "Did you lose your phone? I've been texting since I woke up!" She hissed. Jenna tossed her rosy lipstick into her bag and leaned on the sink. I went about checking every stall. "No one's come in like, six minutes, can you please look at me and talk? I've been going out of my mind wondering if something happened to you because of that... thing." She murmured thumbing behind her back.

The first words on the tip of my tongue were 'I don't know'. Bleh, I was so sick of those. How many times did you need to say a phrase for it to become your catchphrase? Didn't matter. It felt like a motto to live by these days.

"I woke up in a park,"

"Excuse me?"

"I know. It sounds crazy and it is. But... something happened last night and I... I can't remember exactly what. All I have are these flash. Of me. Running. Jumping. It was like some other part of me was behind the wheel, like I had no actual control and this morning I woke up in a park. I slept under a tree."

"What the hell, Chloe? Do you know how freaking dangerous that was? Someone could've-"

"I know!" I hit my hands on the sink beside Jenna. She actually jerked. Faint pain buzzed from my fingers, I tightened my fists. "I couldn't control it. I don't know what it was. What any of this is," I thrust angry fingers into my straight hair, pinning it on one side. I looked myself in the mirror. "I'm not going crazy. You can see it, too. The... tattoo."

"I can see it in its all inky glory. I watched the clip today-to convince myself? And it's still the same. It moves away from my finger. Creepy as hell." I hung my head and my hair fell forward freely. Jenna's hand touched on my forearm. "Look... I don't know what's happening, either. But I'm sure we can assume you're not crazy. I think... we can pin this on more paranormal matters, you know?"

"I'm not a-"

Jenna tugged my arm, twisting my face her way. She was wearing brown contacts today.

"You're something, Chloe!" She insisted with a panicky voice. Her fingers gave a final squeeze before her hand dropped at her side. Jenna's chest fell empty in a sigh. "I'm sure something out there can give us a hint of what. I mean, there's all this lore about... everything. For Pete's sake, last week Caleb was rambling on about the Mothman or some-"

Jenna pressed her lips together and our eyes widened slightly.

"Caleb!" We breathed in sync.

Yes! Caleb was a huge geek when it came to lore about all things going bump in the night. Maybe he could have some intel on live Tattoos and all the other side-effects I'd been experiencing. The thing was, how were we going to ask him about this without him getting suspicious? Don't get me wrong, I was a huge horror movie fan, but it didn't mean I'd throw a party if I found out sirens-Caleb's technical for mermaids-were real. He was a monster-fan.

The bell rang just outside, I glanced over a shoulder than back at my best friend feeling strangely hopeful.

"But how are we going to ask? Whenever he starts talking about anything monstery for more than ten minutes you threaten to kick his shins." And sometimes she really did.

"Don't worry," Jenna shared a sly grin slinging her bag over her right shoulder. "I'll think of something. A spur of the moment kinda thing." We made it for the door. Jenna rounded on me before I could leave, pointed a finger at my face. "And I'm sleeping over your house tonight. We need to make sure you don't go on another sleepwalking-spree." I opened my mouth- "No buts. Am I freaked? More and more by the second. But I'll be damned if I let you go at it alone."

Chest swelling, I pulled Jenna into a hug.