The Perfect Combination

Chapter 10

Natalia’s POV

A couple days had passed since my doctor’s appointment and my internal freak out about raising the twins on my own. As much as I knew that I needed someone to help me raise them I still somehow refused to ask Sergio to consider taking a role in the children’s life.

I was worried that if I asked him he’d think that this was my plan along: fall pregnant and use it as a ploy to trap him into committing to me. This was false. When I asked him to help me fall pregnant I knew for sure that I didn’t want anything else from him other than his sperm but as the months have gone by I’ve started thinking about how nice it would be if we we’re both involved in raising our children.

I quickly shook that notion out of my head as I continued to make my way down the aisle at the supermarket.

I needed a break from my mother’s questions about the twins and my future, so I decided to make my way to the store to get some much needed junk food supplies that was needed in the house. I was busy deciding between two different marshmallows brands, when a voice interrupted me.

"Nati, is that you?", I turned to look at the look at the person who was calling me, only to be confronted by a certain freckled faced Spaniard.

"Fernando", I shrieked as I wrapped my arms around him. He reciprocated the action before we both let go.

"Is it me or is your stomach a little bigger than usual?” I rolled my eyes at Fernando’s statement because he knew very well I was pregnant.

He and Sergio where very close and despite them living in two different countries, they talked on the phone almost every day.

"Hahaha, you are so funny. What are you doing here?” I asked, knowing that the football season had just gotten into its busy period.

"Uhm, it’s complicated and a very long story", he answered ambiguously while scratching his head.

"Want to tell me about it?” I asked suddenly interested in why Fernando Torres would be in Madrid in November.

"I would love to but you seem a little busy", he said referring to my shopping cart, "I don’t want to disturb you."

"Oh don’t be silly. I always have time for my favorite player. Why don’t we get something to eat and you can tell me all about you fabulous life in England?!”

"Sure why not", he replied as we made our way back to the tills where he paid for my groceries despite my objections. Since we both had our cars, we decided it was best I follow behind him to La Casa, one of Madrid’s most exclusive restaurants.

When we got there Fernando got us a table in a private room where we could chat without being interrupted. Once in the room the waiter took our orders and left us alone to catch up.

"So…" I began, "You’ve been keeping me in suspense, what are you doing here?

He laughed at my eagerness before he replied. “I was here to see Olalla and Nora”.

"Oh…” I remarked slightly confused.” I didn’t realize you two had gotten back together and had a baby."

"We haven’t", he replied instantly. "She and Manuel are still together, I only came by to see how the happy family where doing", he trailed off disappointedly.

Fernando still had that look in his eyes that he had two years ago when he found his best friend and girlfriend in bed together. We had all try to reassure him he had done nothing wrong and that she was the one at fault for the demise of their relationship. However, he never seemed to believe us and he always beat himself about it. It began to manifest itself in his football as his loss of confidence off the pitch showed on it.

"I’m sorry", was my lame reply. "It must still be heartbreaking to see them being happy together, knowing what they did to you".

He nodded then said, “What’s done is done and it’s obviously for the best so don’t be sorry about anything because I’m certainly not. And anyway it’s not like you could have done anything to stop It.” he said with a reassuring smile before changing the topic.

"So… how’s the baby?"

"I think you mean babies"

He lifted both his eyebrows in shock before asking me to explain.

"I’m pregnant with twins", I answered with a smile on my face.

"Wow! When Sergio does something he does it big doesn’t he?!” he joked.

I threw my napkin at him in mock anger.

"I kid, I kid. I’m really happy for you Nati.” He said sincerely looking me in the eyes.

"Thanks", I said while bowing my head to look at my hands which were on my lap.

"Something wrong?" he asked sensing my shift in attitude.

"Uhm, uhh, kind of", I struggled to say.

"What is it?” he said in a sweet tone in an effort to get me to open up to him.

"It’s just now that I know I’m having twins, I feel so overwhelmed. I feel like I won’t be able to able to handle the responsibility on my own. I mean I know my mom will be there as much as she can but I can’t ask her to stop living her life just to help me with the children."

He nodded at this before adding, “so are you saying you may want Sergio to be involved in their lives?” he signaled to my belly.

"Yes…No… Idon’tknow. I honestly don’t".

Silence descended on the table following my confession before Fernando offered advice.

"Maybe the answer to your problems doesn’t lie in asking Sergio to help you."

"What do you mean?”

Fernando scratched his head at my question in attempt to find the right words to explain.

"I’m saying that Sergio is obviously not ready to be tied down to the responsibility of children and you shouldn’t force that on him either. I think you should find yourself someone whose willing and ready to be there for you and the babies" he answered honestly.

"I…ehh. It’s…. If you are suggesting that I try to find a boyfriend who wants to settle down and have a family with me, I hate to break it to you, buddy, but I’ve tried and none of them are interested" was my honest reply.

"Well maybe you’ve been looking in the wrong places".

"Bwahaha. Fernando where else could I possibly look to find a man who is ready to accept a woman who is pregnant with twins and is ready to settle down with her".

"I think you should look at me", he replied honestly.
♠ ♠ ♠
To be continued...