The Perfect Combination

Chapter 16

"Lia, there’s something I need to tell you", I said as I watched her move around on the bed trying to find a comfortable position to sit in.

"Sure, go right ahead" she answered once she was settled.

I took a deep breath and began to confess.

"Natalia Ramirez, I love you" I smiled as I continued to tell her the truth. "And if I’m honest with myself. I think I’ve always loved you. It’s just that over these past few months it’s really become obvious to me, my feelings for you. Now I’m not expecting you to say anything back but I just wanted you to know".

"Sergio?" she called to me with a smile on her face.

"Yes… Lia?"

"Wake up" she instructed.

"What?" was my grumbled response.

"SERGIO WAKE UP" she screamed louder making sure I woke up.

"Lia… why are you yelling" I questioned her as I started getting up off her bed.

She stared back with a blank look before answering.

"Well maybe if you didn’t sleep like the dead, I wouldn’t need to yell" she replied as she walks into her closet.

As she did this I realized that my declaration of love to her was just a dream. And I know that even though the conversation was a dream, my feelings for her are real and I somehow need to find the confidence within myself to admit them to her. But not today, today I need to just be her friend and biggest supporter because she would be debuting her clothes over bros clothing line at London fashion week.

As happy as I was to be there for her and support her dream, I hated the fact that Fernando would also be there trying to prove to her he was the perfect man for her.

Even though he obviously wasn’t.

"Sergio are you listening?!" Lia questioned as she disrupted my thinking.

"Yeah, sorry. What were you saying?"

She narrowed her eyes at me, knowing very well that I wasn’t listening to her before she repeated.

"You need to take a shower in like the next two seconds and meet me downstairs in 15 minutes so we can get to the venue on time" she checked off.

"What about Fernando?" I enquired as I realize she hadn’t mentioned his name once since she’d begun talking.

"He’s meeting us there. He says he has something to take care off before the show"

I nodded at this before I got up from the bed and made my way to the bathroom door. Before I turned the knob, I turned to her.

"So you want to join me or you are you gonna wait here and hope I come back naked?"

I teased.

Her response was to roll her eyes and throw a pillow at me before she made her way out of the room.

~

Natalia’s POV

As I got to the kitchen of Fernando’s house I couldn’t help but snigger at Sergio’s attempt at seduction. It was funny how the dynamic in our relationship had changed since the little freak out I had at the store yesterday. I wasn’t so much that he showed me how responsible he was as a father but more about how easy and natural it was for us to be sitting down and having conversations about our kids and whatever was on our minds.

Don’t get me wrong it’s not that I don’t feel as comfortable with Fernando as I do with Sergio but whenever I’m with Sergio I honestly feel like I can be myself. But with Fernando I feel a sense of safety and security that I’m almost certain Sergio will never provide. I know that I’m supposed to somehow pick one to be with but it’s not that easy. No matter whom I choose someone will get hurt and there is a part of me that may forever wonder if I made the right decision.

Ugh why does this have to be so hard? Why can’t both of them morph into one person and then all my problems will be solved.

"Lia, everything okay?" Sergio asked as he made his way into the kitchen. "You seem pre occupied?"

"W-what me?" I stammered as I attempted to answer his question. "Nope, I’m not pre occupied with anything”

"UHM OK then. Well we should go, the taxi is waiting"

I just nodded as I collected my things and we made our way towards the car. The car ride was silent, mainly because I kept on thinking about the dilemma I had created in my life.

"Miss we are here" the driver announced, when we got to the venue. He then went on to open the door for me and Sergio.

Once again we made our way, silently, to the backstage area of the venue and I began checking on the models and the gowns that would be going out for everyone to see.

"Lia" Sergio called while I was in the midst of my organizing.

"Yeah"

"I’m going to sit in the main area because I can see you are very busy. But before I go I just wanted to tell you that I’m so proud of you and I’m so glad that I get to share the joy of parenting with you." He concluded with a smile.

I blinked back tears as I thanked him and gave him a hug. He walked away to his seat and Terry took that as her chance to interrogate me.

"If this ever goes down to votes you should know I’m team Sergio no matter what Fernando does".

I just stared blankly at her before I turned around and walked back to go fix a models dress. Terry once again followed me and when the model was given the thumbs up, Terry waved her off and began to speak.

"Oh come on Nat. Don’t act innocent. You’ve noticed the change in him and don’t tell me that doesn’t turn you on." she said with a smug smile.

"He does not turn me on" I declared clearly. She merely raised her eyebrow at me and I was forced to relent. "Ok, his change in attitude has impressed me ALOT but not enough for me to consider building a life with him."

"Wait does that mean?" she began "You’ve chosen Fernando?" She asked completely flabbergasted.

"Maybe" I answered with a little hesitation.

"So what are you saying?" she asked intrigued.

"I’m saying that Sergio will always be the father to these children and I would never deny him the opportunity to be in their lives. But as for us? There is no us. He will make a wonderful father but I don’t think me and him as a couple will ever happen “I confessed honestly.

"Do you want a him and you?" she questioned.

"Yes" I answered with no hesitation. "But that doesn’t matter because it’s never going to happen."

"So what are you going to do?"

"I’m going to find happiness with Fernando" I answered as Terry’s jaw dropped. "Look Terry I know you think I’m making a mistake but I could learn to love him half as much as he loves me."

"And what if you never mange to love him?"

"I will. I have to. Fernando’s willing to accept Sergio’s children as his so the least I could do is show him the love he deserves." I declared before I walked away to put the finishing touches to all the outfits.

The fashion show went off without a hitch and at the end the audience gave a standing ovation, which I hoped meant they liked the collection.

As I made my way back to the backstage area, I received many congratulations from all those involved in the line as well as the more well-known faces who had come to see the clothes for themselves. As I made my way further back into the area, I finally saw Fernando who had been M.I.A. for most of the day.

"Hey stranger" I called as I saw him.

"Hey Nat" he greeted me with a smile and a kiss on the cheek.

"Where have you been?" I asked, knowing that he would have a very good reason for being absent.

"I had to pick up my parents from the airport", he began. "I told them about us and they really wanted to meet you."

He announced as his folks made their way towards us with Sergio right behind them. His father was the first to introduce himself before his mother made her introductions as well. Once the pleasantries where completed, Fernando’s mother asked.

"So sweetie, how’s the pregnancy treating you?"

"Well apart from the incessant kicking and my constant hunger, it’s been pretty great" I answered as I rubbed my belly.

"Well it’s the only time as a woman you get to eat as much as you want without being judged so you better enjoy it" she joked.

"Oh mom" Fernando interjected. "Me and Nati are planning on having many more children so you better get used to her constant eating" he joked as he rubbed my belly and put his arm on my waist.

I saw Sergio clench his jaw at this action and a part of me felt guilty because somewhere deep inside me, I knew I wanted him to be rubbing my belly and enjoying this pregnancy with me rather than Fernando.
♠ ♠ ♠
To be continued...