The Perfect Combination

Chapter 21

"You want something to eat?" I asked Lia as she walks into the kitchen.

I’ve just picked her up from the airport, for her month long doctor-order bed rest and she has just been upstairs freshening up.

"I’m 8 months pregnant with twins, what do you think?!" she sarcastically replies.

"I simple yes would have sufficed, woman" I answer back as I reheat some left over mac and cheese that my mother made.

"Whatever man" she fires back.

Once it's warm, me and Lia make our way to the living room to eat and watch some TV.

After a comfortable few minutes of silence, I turn to her.

"So Fernando came by the other day" I say and her eyes grow into the size of saucers.

"What did he want?" she says with her mouthful and I can’t help but laugh because she looks so cute.

"He just wanted us to fix our friendship" I say once my laughing has subsided.

"And have you?" she questions as she puts her now empty plate down.

"Yeah kind off" I say cryptically.

"Sergio" she nags, knowing I’m keeping something from her. "Tell me the truth"

I take a deep breath before I turn my body fully towards her and speak my mind.

"It’s not like I don’t want to fix things because I do, but I don’t think I can fully trust him again. Come on… the man tried to tear us apart once and it almost worked, what if he tries it again?"

"He could try again but he would fail" she answers confidently.

"How do you know for sure?" I question.

"Because I love you and you love me. And no one can force us to part unless we let them" she answers assuredly and I lean in to give her a mind numbing kiss.

When she begins to moan, I kiss her more passionately to show her how much I love her.

However our little make out session is quickly interrupted by a banging on the door.

"I’ll get that" I say as I stand up and walk towards the door.

"Sergio" a middle aged woman’s says warmly as she comes towards me and envelopes me in a hug.

When we pull apart I address her.

"Mrs. Ramirez" I say, slightly shocked that Lia’s mother is here and how friendly she is towards me.

"From now on you can call me mama" she says as she lets herself. "So where is my daughter?" she asks when she is in the hallway, I open my mouth to answer her but I am interrupted by her calling out Lia’s name.

~

Natalia’s POV

"Natalia" my mother says loudly as she walks towards me.

"Mama, what are you doing here?" I asked shocked to see my mother in Sergio’s house considering how she feels about him.

"Can’t an old lady visit her daughter, her soon to be son-in-law and grandbabies?" she states as Sergio walks into the room.

I give him a look and he shrugs, as he is just as confused by my mother’s actions as I am.

"Well obviously she can mum. But you’ve hardly been Sergio’s biggest fan so excuse me if I’m a little surprised to see you here" I say and my mother bows her head.

“Mija, I know I’ve made mistakes. But I want to make up for them now. I don’t want those two little people inside you to come into an environment where their family doesn’t get along” she admits as she takes my hand. “I know I wasn’t the greatest mom to you because of my trust issues and my issues in general. But now I have a second chance and I want to do right by you, both of you” she says as she looks at Sergio.

He gives a stiff smile as my mother addresses him.

"Sergio, I just want to apologize for the way I have treated you in the past and for some of the words I have called you. The anger I had wasn’t towards you but rather it stemmed from my anger at Natalia’s father" she admits as she wipes a tear from her cheeks.

"What that man did to me made me hate him so much that it manifested itself into the way I treated my daughter and all the men around us. But I’m glad that she broke the cycle of anger and resentment and allowed you into her life" my mother continues to confess as I start to wipe my own tears.

"I just hope that you both can find it in your hearts to forgive me for the way I acted and I hope that you will give me a chance to be involved in my grand children’s life" she asks hopefully.

"Mrs. Ramirez, obviously you will be in their lives. That much is clear and anyway they are gonna need a positive influence since their mother isn’t much of a role model" Sergio teases as he walks towards my mother and bends down near her.

"And as for that apology you feel the need to deliver, it’s not necessary. We both understand that how you felt was not something you had control over but we are glad that you’ve decided to let your anger go in order to be the second best grandmother these kids will ever have" he concludes as he rubs my belly.

I smile at him when he does this as well as put my hand over his to show him how proud of him I am. My mother sees this action and starts to speak.

"Why did it take you two so long to get together?”

We both laugh at this before I answer.

"We were just being stubborn and stupid. But now we are together and that’s all that matters" I say before I let out a yawn.

"Jeez, woman don’t swallow us" Sergio comments and I throw a pillow at him. He temporarily loses his balance but once he regains it, he stands up and moves his hand for me to take.

"Where are we going?" I say as I stand up.

"Well we are not going anywhere” he answers with a smug smile. “But you my dear are going straight to bed, while me and your mom stay down here and have a little chat”.

'Why can't I just sleep on the couch and listen to your conversation?” I question as we begin ascending the stairs.

"Because the couch is too small for you to sleep comfortably and me and your mom have a few serious things to talk about" Sergio answers as we walk into the bedroom.

Once in there he goes into his closet and emerges with a large shirt for me to sleep in. Once I’m changed and lying comfortably in bed, I turn to Sergio, who is on his way out of the bedroom, and ask him.

"What important things do you have to talk about?"

He rolls his eyes at my question before he answers.

"I can’t tell you all the details now but I promise you will love it. Now get some sleep, I’ll join you later" he says as he walks out the room and closes the door.

Once he is out of sight I let a grin take over my face, because for the first time in my life everything is going well. And with this talk taking place between my mother and Sergio, who knows, I may be becoming Mrs. Ramos sooner than I thought.
♠ ♠ ♠
To be continued...