The Perfect Combination

Chapter 25

"No" I keep on telling Dr Lorenzo as he begs me to start pushing.

Despite the searing pain coursing through my body I refuse to deliver the twins before Sergio gets here.

"Ms. Ramirez" Dr Lorenzo starts to speak "We have to get them out of you or your health will be in danger"

I know he’s right but I’m so scared of giving birth without Sergio being here to experience it, that all logical thinking is gone.

"No" I tell him again as tears begin to fall and another contraction hits. "It’s his fault I’m in pain and I refuse to have him skip out on the birth. SO LISTEN HERE OLD MAN" I gesture while pulling the scrubs he has on "I DON’T CARE HOW LONG IT TAKES AND HOW MANY PILLS YOU HAVE TO PUMP INTO ME BUT I AM NOT PUSHING ANYTHING OUT OF MY VAGINA UNTIL HE GETS HERE" I finish off before I give off another ear-piercing scream.

~

"Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit" I keep on cursing as traffic continues at a standstill.

"I’m sorry Mr. Ramos" Emilio, the driver Real have hired to take me to the hospital, says. "I think you may miss the birth. Traffic is too backed up and I don’t see us going anywhere, anytime soon."

"OH Emilio" I answer, while leaning forward. "I better make it to the hospital soon or I’m a dead man".

I tell him as I begin to imagine all the screaming and cussing Lia must be doing to deal with the pain of giving birth.

Following a brief silence, Emilio turns to me from the driver’s seat and says.

"I know a way for you to get to the hospital" and I nod my head so he can continue. "But you’d have to run to get there".

I nod intently as he starts giving me directions.

~

Sophia (Natalia’s mothers) POV

"Aaah I can’t believe I’m about to be a grandmother" I admit to Pacqui, Sergio’s mother, as she hands me a cup of coffee.

"Enjoy the silence while you can" she jokes as she sips her liquid drink.

"Where is Sergio?" I question when I realize that Nati has been in labor for over 30 minutes with no family around her.

"I called his manager when I was in the canteen, he says he Sergio left an hour ago"

I nod my head at her answer before I’m startled at the commotion happening at the receptionist’s desk.

"Where is she?" Sergio yells at a frightened looking nurse.

"Sir, you have to calm down" she says as she tries shuffling her notes back together.

"Don’t tell me to stay clam" he continues to yell. "My girlfriend is in labor and I know she’s gonna kill me if I’m not there to witness her giving birth. So please for the last time, please tell me what room she’s in?"

"Sergio calm down" his mother yell’s at him before I can. "Natalia’s down the hall. And if you want to make it in time you better hurry up" she tells him as she moves out of the way and he starts running.

~

"You son of a bitch" Lia yells in between deep breaths when she sees me walk through the door. Soon after that a contraction courses through her and the nurses tell her to calm down.

I use that opportunity to walk to her bedside as I take her hand and prepare to help her through this.

She squeezes my hand hard when I hold it and I’m sure half of the reason is to deal with her pain but I wouldn’t be surprised if the bone crushing squeeze is her form of punishing me for being late.

"I want to kill you right now Sergio" she says in between deep breathes "but I’m a little preoccupied".

She says before giving another scream as a contraction hits her and Dr Lorenzo instructs her to start pushing.

~

"Hey mama" Sergio says as I slowly start to wake up.

I smile at him and the little bundle of joy he is holding in his arms.

"What you got there?" I tease as I see another little person wrapped in a blanket lying in a crib, near my bed.

"Oh just my new favorite girl" he tells me as leans in to give me a kiss.

I move my face away, in an attempt to show my displeasure at his answers, and he laughs.

"Oh baby don’t be jealous. You’ll always be my only woman" he says as he hands the little girl to me.

"She’s perfect" I comment as I kiss her slightly pink face.

"Well she is the perfect combination of me and you" he states and I laugh at his comment and right then our son starts to cry.

"Jeez, only a few hours old and you are already taking up all of my attention" he speaks as he picks him up.

I can’t help but smile at the picture right in front of me; commitment-phobic Sergio is making funny faces as his newborn son while his daughter is squirming in my arms. He is also promising to marry me and is actually thinking about forever rather than living in the moment.

I snigger at that and I unintentionally cause Sergio to stop playing with our son and look at me.

"What’s so funny?" he asks as he takes a seat at the foot of my hospital bed.

"You are!" I admit as Sergio pulls a confused face. "Come on Serg, a few months ago your idea of commitment was giving someone the key to your house but look at you now"

"I’m getting paper?" he jokes while making reference to the Chris Brown song.

I give him a straight face and he motions for me to continue.

"You’re a father. And you’re actually happy about it. I’m so proud of you" I say as I lean towards him and I give him a kiss.

Right then Dr Lorenzo walks in with a confused expression.

"And then say I’m losing it" he comments as he picks up my chart and me and Sergio laugh.
♠ ♠ ♠
To be continued...