The Perfect Combination

Chapter 34

"Visionary.

Emaculate.

She’s back and better that ever” Terry says as she reads the reviews from my runway show.

"Thank you Terry for reading all my reviews. But I think I got the hint round about the third time you started reading them" I say as I put Salma in her push chair.

"Yes Terry. Can you please stop showering my daughter with compliments. She doesn’t need an even bigger head than the one she has right now" my mom comments as she enters the kitchen followed by Sergio’s mom and sister.

All three ladies are in town not only for the fashion show and to help me with the twins but they were also here for fittings and wedding planning.

"Oh please. You both complain now but you know you love it" Terry says as she puts the reviews back in the drawer.

"So is everyone ready to leave?" I ask as I pack up the diaper bag.

They all nod and I smile.

"I’ll take Jose" Mirian says as she reaches for her nephew.

"And I’ll take Salma" My mom says, picking up her name sake from the push chair.

"Well I’ll take the bags then" I say as Pacqui laughs at me.

"Jealous over the attention people give the twins?" she asks and I nod.

"Welcome to parenthood sweetie. From now on your children become more important than you" she says as she takes my hand and we walk out.

"Well I better get used to it then" I say and sigh as I go round to the driver’s side of my SUV and prepare to spend the day with my mom, my soon to be in-laws and best friend.

`

Sergio’s POV

"Best of three" Rene challenges after I beat him at another round of FIFA.

"Are you sure you can handle that ass-whooping?" I tease as I reset the game.

"Whatever" he answers as he concentrates back on the game.

After a few minutes of playing in silence he speaks.

"Aren’t you supposed to be wedding planning?"

"Nope" I answer as I score a goal to level the match.

He gives me a look as if doubting what I’m saying.

"I swear. Lia says all I have to do is show up on the day, she’ll do everything else"

He snorts at my answer and I pause the game so he can explain.

"She playing you man. If you let her plan this whole thing by HERSELF she’ll resent you. It may not be now or in the next year but one day she’ll turn around as say you never help her with anything. Next thing you know, you’ll be forced to attend 6 hours of ballet classes with your daughter because she feels like you don’t help her enough"

I give him a look, as he seems to speak from personal experience and when he shrugs I realize that he is.

"So are you saying I should go against what SHE told me and listen to what YOU say?" I ask as I start having an internal debate about who I should listen too.

"Yes. Look man I was once where you were. I let Vania plan the whole wedding and didn’t help her with a single thing. Next thing I know she cooks a three course meal, using all the pots, pans and cutlery in the house, for our anniversary. Once we are done eating she tells me she’s going to bed and I ask her what about the dishes and she tells me I must do them because it’s not like I’ve gotten anything better to do" he concludes.

I smack him behind the head, astonished at his stupidity.

"You idiot she wasn’t holding resentment, she was angry. How can you ask her to do the dishes after she’s just cooked you a meal" I question him as he continues to rub his head.

"And anyway, Lia doesn’t know how to cook so I’m safe in that department" I joke as I start up the game again.

"But I will take your advice about being helpful though. I want her to be happy so if that means going shoe shopping or cake tasting I’ll do it. That girl is worth the trouble" I tell him as I score a goal, to make it 2-1.

"You’re doing good kid" he tells me and I try to stifle a smile. "I’m proud of the man you’ve become as well as the father you are" he tells me as I swell with pride over the fact that my brother sees the improvement and stability Lia has brought into my life.

`

Natalia’s POV

"So you guys are happy with the dresses?" I ask as all four ladies stand in front of the full length mirrors at a bridal shop.

"Yes" they all say at the same time.

I smile to myself, proud that I have gotten what I wanted from the dresses while also making them comfortable.

"The wedding is still a few months away though. Aren’t you worried about weight changes?" an assistant from the shop asks.

"No" I say slightly taken aback by her questioning "Even if they are I can personally alter them" I snap as she looks back, shocked at my tone.

"Nati honey. Why don’t you show us your dress?" my mom asks as she takes Jose from my arms.

"Uhm it’s not done yet" I say and she is stunned.

"What do you mean?" Pacqui asks as she sits down next to me.

"She doesn’t know what she wants. Shorts sleeves this week. Sleeveless next. Purple last month. Lace and white next month" Terry answers for me once she is back in her own clothes.

I give her an evil glare and she keeps quiet.

"Is this true?" Pacqui asks as she takes my hand.

"Yeah It is. I guess it easier designing for others than myself" I admit as she gives me a smile.

"I’ll eventually figure it out" I assure her as Salma begins to fuss.

Before I can even make a move Mirian sticks her tongue out and takes her from my arms.

"Someone obviously over this shopping spree, maybe we should leave" my mom suggests as we all nod and start making movements towards the exit.

I however pull my mom to the side, to have a private conversation.

"What’s wrong Nati?" she says once everyone has left.

"Nothing’s wrong, I just wanted to ask you something"

She nods her head, encouraging me to carry on.

"Mom can you walk me down the aisle?" I ask with a hopeful smile.

"Are you sure? Don’t you want someone more… I don’t know… more deserving?"

"Mama, no one’s more deserving than you. You went through a lot with me and I want you there next to me when I make the biggest commitment of my life. You were both a mom and dad to me so I want you to have that honor" I tell her as a tear falls.

"Of course I will" she says as she wipes a tear off my cheek and I do the same to her.

We both take a while to get our composure but once we are calm I speak.

"Thank you mom…for everything"

"It was nothing" she says with a wave of the hand "And I love having the honor of handing your hand over to Sergio and telling him you’re his problem now" she jokes as we turn around and walk out the door.
♠ ♠ ♠
To be continued...