The Perfect Combination

Chapter 4

“So in conclusion you should know that the first try of insemination may not take. Don’t be discouraged if this does happen, you guys are a young and healthy couple….”

“We are not a couple” they both interrupted.

“…so we are confident that eventually you will be able to fall pregnant" Dr Lorenzo continued, “you should set up an appointment for two weeks from now to see whether there is something growing in there.” he concluded, pointing at Natalia’s stomach.

“Um okay thanks Doctor, we will.” Sergio said as they began to walk out, “have a good day.”

“Same to you” Dr Lorenzo replied.

In the time Sergio had been saying his farewells to the doctor, Natalia went up to the Secretary to set up a check up appointment for her “baby”. After giving out her details and listening to what she had to do, she silently followed Sergio to the lift and back to her own car. She quickly opened the door and put on the safety belt, but while attempting to close the door a big hand blocked the action.

“Lia, are you okay?,” Sergio asked with concern etched all over his face for his friend who had barely said a word since the procedure was completed.

“I’m perfect”, she said, with a strained smile on her face.

“Well you don’t look it. You’ve been silent since Dr Lorenzo finished the insemination.”

“I guess, I just…”

“Just what?” he questioned.

“I just realized how close I am to making my dream come true” she answered getting a little teary eyed.

Sergio knelt down to her level to give her a hug in order to comfort her and added, “I’m glad I’m able to assist in making you happy” he stated before pulling out of the hug. “Now go back to your moms place and take it easy for a while. In two weeks you’re going to be a mom”, he joked with her.

“Yeah, My mom has probably gone crazy shopping for baby things.” she stated as she wiped her tears. Sergio stood up as well and attempted to walk to his car before Natalia’s voice called him back.

“Hey Gio”, he instantly turned and looked at her, “Thank you for doing this” she announced to him.

“Don’t sweat it. Its not like my sperm was gonna be useful for anything else” he stated before turning around and getting into his car.

Two weeks later.

“Look no matter what the test results say, remember I’m here for you and if we need to go through this whole thing again, I’m more than happy to do it.” Sergio spat out before Dr Lorenzo came back to deliver the results.

“Thanks Gio, but hopefully first times a charm because Fashion week calls and I’m not prepared to miss it.” She replied back.

“Oh yes, I almost forgot that you actually work. You’ve been in town so long that I was starting to think you’d join the ranks of Spain’s unemployed” he teased.

“Hey I’ve only been in town for less than three weeks…” she punched him playfully.

“That’s about 2 weeks and 3 days to long in my opinion ” he said with a smile playing on his lips.

“Well I’m here for three more days. Enjoy my awesomeness while you can Mr Ramos. When I’m gone you will be left to deal with Iker and his woeful poetry that is all about Sara ALONE” she laughed.

Sergio groaned at that thought but was quickly interrupted from his sulk-fest by a rather somber looking Dr Lorenzo.

“Well”, the Doctor began as he took a seat, “the results from the lab are back”. He looked between both Natalia and Sergio before he continued, “unfortunately your eggs rejected Mr Ramos’s sperm. You are not with child Ms Ramirez" the Doctor stated sadly.

He took a moment to let them digest the news before standing up and leaving the room to give them time to figure out what the next step would be.

“Lia we…” Sergio started to speak.

“We can what Sergio? Try again? You know we can’t. I leave the country in three days and unless a new magical technique has been discovered between now and then I don’t think we can inseminate your sperm and my egg from two different continents.” she shot back bitterly.

“Or we could just do it tomorrow he stated nonchalantly. “Before the team flies to Bilbao we could come in early and they do what they need to do and bam, your pregnant.”

Natalia honestly had no words to say to him except “you’d do that for me?”.

“Yeah, look I know I wasn’t on board when you suggested this but I see how your face lights up when you talk about having a baby. I don’t want to deny you the chance to make your dream come true. So …..Lets make you a baby” he said with cheer.

Dr Lorenzo walked in just as Sergio made his little speech. “So I’m assuming a decision has been made about what to do?” he leaned forward to hear what they had to say.

“Yes,” Sergio replied, “Tomorrow we will be back for another round of insemination, and this time its going to work” he replied confidently.

Unfortunately, Sergio was wrong. The second round of insemination proved just as disappointing as the first and once again Natalia was not pregnant.
♠ ♠ ♠
To be continued...