The Perfect Combination

Chapter 8

Natalia’s Pov

"Can you please stop doing that", Terry snapped.

"Doing what?" I asked innocently, knowing exactly what I’ve been doing.

Terry narrowed her eyes before replying,” Rubbing your non-existent belly. I know you’re 14 weeks along but you barely have a bump so just stop rubbing it.”

I sigh dramatically, in order to show my unhappiness, before stopping the rubbing action and sit down to finally finish the designs for my new collection. After a few minutes of silence I turn to Terry and ask a question that has been on my mind for the past few weeks.

"Do you think I’m making a mistake?”

"I think it’s a little too late to ask that" she answers nonchalantly by looking my stomach.

"I’m not talking about the baby; I know for sure that this kid is going to be the greatest thing to ever happen to me." I answered while also involuntarily raising a smile.

"Are you referring to the whole leaving Sergio thing once the baby is born?" she enquired while putting her pen down to focus on the conversation at hand.

I nodded in response.

"Honestly… I think you are making a mistake but I also know why you’re doing this. You know Sergio isn’t ready to play happy families and you’re saving him from being forced into being in one," she started explaining, "But what about the kid? What happens when he or she asks where his dad is? Or why he doesn’t have two parents? How are you going to look that kid in the eye and tell him the truth?”

Taking a deep breathe in order to come up with an answer, I came up blank, realizing I don’t have the answers to her questions. Terry senses my inability to find an answer, so she continues talking.

"I’m not saying raising this kid in a single parent household is a bad thing. Many parents before you have done it and kids turn out just fine but a part of me can’t help but wonder what it must feel like for a child to grow up not knowing who their other parent is. And I’m also not saying throw Sergio in the deep end and force him to be a parent. I’m just worried that you cutting him completely out of HIS kid’s life is the answer to your parental needs.”

"I guess I…” I stammer, but I am once again interrupted by a ranting Terry.

"I’m not saying make the decision now. Talk to Sergio first get his opinions on the issue and take it from there. But speaking from personal experience, if that kid grows up without a dad, he or she will always wonder what they did wrong that caused that parent to not want them", she concluded.

It took everything in me not to cry at what I was being told. So I excused myself and went to the bathroom to clear my head and find some sort of sign to tell me what I need to do. When I was done splashing my face with water, I knew exactly what I needed to do. I’d fly to Madrid for the Doctors appointment and while I’m there I’ll just straight out ask Sergio if he wanted to be involved in this baby’s life.

I doubt he’d want to anyway; it’s not like he's suddenly ready to take on the responsibility of parenthood.

*

In Madrid

Sergio’s POV

"Hahaha, that’s the third game in a row I’ve won now Sergio", Alvaro says but I’m barely paying any attention because for some reason I’m nervous about Natalia coming back into town.

"Hello? Earth to Sergio", Alvaro called.

"What?" I snap at him while also standing from the couch to grab a beer in the kitchen.

Unsurprisingly, he follows me and asks what’s wrong. I think he has been hanging out with Iker to much because he is way too interested in my life for a man who has a family and a career that keeps him busy.

"Nothing’s wrong", I answer, trying to side step the topic.

"So how’s Alba?” I say changing topics.

"She’s fine" he answered instantly, "but back to you. What’s up? You’ve been acting very strange for a while now. Anything on your mind?” he asked as he leaned over the counter like Iker would when he wants to hear about one of my conquests.

"Just normal stuff, you know", I offered vaguely.

I can tell from Alvaro’s blank expression that he needs a little more than that to satisfy his thirst for knowledge. So I just relent and tell him what's been on my mind.

"I’m just", I take a breath, "I’m thinking about Natalia and the baby"

"What about them?"

"Uhm…"

"Yes?"

"I don’t think I can let them go", I finally admit out loud.

"WHAT?! Huh?! I don’t understand", Alvaro admits.

I roll my eyes at this knowing that Alvaro doesn’t understand a lot of things. I take a deep breath and explain.

"I want Natalia and the baby to be in my life. I don’t want her to leave after the baby’s born. I want her to stay, I want to help her raise it but most importantly I want to be a father to MY kid", I admit passionately. Alvaro says nothing initially at this admission.

Then he shakes his head and stands up from his chair to give me a hug. When he steps away from my arms, he says,

"I’m proud of you man. You are finally acting like I man."

I stare at him like he has three heads and wait for him to explain further.

"Oh come on Sergio don’t act dumb. There was no way you were just going to let Nati cut you out of that kid’s life. I’m glad you’ve finally come to your senses and realized this before it was too late." he says while smiling back at me. The only thing I can say back to him is yeah before he continues.

"Now, how are you going to convince Nati to let you be involved in this kid’s life?"

"Uhm, I’ll tell her what I want and we’ll see from there?!” I answer hesitantly.

"Nope, you can’t do that.” he says dismissing my answer before sitting down and thinking about another alternative.

"I have idea", he stands up suddenly as if he has found the cure to cancer. I wait patiently for him to share his knowledge.

"You know how they say actions speak louder than words?", I nod, "well we are about to test that theory.

"How?” I ask skeptically.

"By being the perfect partner. Meaning for the next 22 weeks until she gives birth, you have to make sure all her needs are met and your there for all her appointments. If she sees how dedicated you are to making her and the baby happy and comfortable, she’ll have no choice but to keep you in the baby’s life." he smiles confidently. Seemingly sure that his plan will work
♠ ♠ ♠
To be continued...