Status: I have NOT forgotten this story, I've merely run into lack of inspiration, but I'm working on it currently.

Just, Average

Part Thirteen

Recap: Rowyn and Draco share some passionate kisses but she tells him that she doesn’t want to be a secret and Draco can’t seem to rise above his reputation. She senses as though nothing will become of the feelings she wants to have for Draco and for him to have for her, but at Hogsmeade she wanders into the store Draco had asked to meet her at. As she leaves, he enters…
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And so it continues…

I step outside of the shop and inhale the cool air deeply while shutting my eyes. I exhale and open my eyes then quickly make my way… Just, well, far away. I walk past the shops again sighing as I window shop. I stop by a shop called The Magic Neep, which come to find out, is a grocery store. After walking around the store for several minutes, I notice a couple of people who seem lost. After asking them politely what they were looking for I help them find it (by chance) and head toward the door to leave. Until someone’s voice stops me, “Excuse me, I saw how you helped some of my customers back there, sure you wouldn’t be looking for employment?” The nice man chuckled. He was quite tall, had dark hair, and sported a bushy mustache on his kind face. He wipes his hands on his dusty tan apron and holds one out for me to shake. I take it and after the awkward shake and the exchange of names, he awaits my answer.

“Well I’m not sure if I can do that while attending Hogwarts, I would have to talk to Professor McGonagall.” I pause, “Perhaps I could send you a letter once I’ve spoken to her Mr.Valdor” I nervously purse my lips together.

“Of course Rowyn, I won’t hold you up any longer, have a good day!”

I smile and nod as I slip out of the door. “Well that was interesting.” I mumble to myself.

“What was?” I didn’t notice anyone standing close to me so I jump as they speak.

“Well, if you must know, I just might have a job at this grocery store.” I smile proudly at Draco.

“A job? Here? Why?” He sneers and I roll my eyes. I sigh and begin the journey back to Hogwarts.

“Because dollface, I don’t have any money and if I get a job I’ll..” *gasp* “Have money!”

He shoves his hands into the pockets of his jacket and walks with me in silence for a moment. “You really haven’t any money?” He asks and I nod.

“I wasn’t lying, Prof. McGonagall came and got me from my home in the States and I never told my parents. All I was given was enough to purchase school supplies.”

“How terribly sad.” He says crudely.

I glare as I look up at him, “Yes it is, it’s something someone like you would know nothing about.” I quicken my pace focusing on the castle gate. Why the hell is he being so frickin’ jerk-like? He catches up to me as I enter the castle to head to the dorms and grasps my arm firmly.

“Oh come one Rowyn don’t be like that.”

I yank my arm from his grip and scoff, “Be like what you halfwit? I understand if you don’t know what’s it’s like to feel certain things but that’s why it’s called empathy!” I spin on my heel angrily and walk further down the corridor. I feel him coming up behind me quite fast and almost brace myself for him to tackle me or something.

“Listen!” He says while turning me to face him roughly. “What the hell do you want me to do? I can’t place myself in your shoes! I can’t, I’ve grown up with money and lavish things like parties and clothes. That isn’t my fault!” He shouts in my face.

I grit my teeth and take a deep breath, “Yeah? Well it isn’t my fault my parents were shit in the realm of parenting and then I came here and met YOU! Some selfish little jerk who thinks he can treat people like trash! Get out of my life Draco Malfoy, I’ve had it with your snobbery and the incapability of controlling your anger!” I turn to leave and yet again he grabs me so I shove my fist into his side injuring him. I make my getaway and race up to my room to plop onto my bed and cry angry tears while holding my Pandora.

(A week passes)
It’s Saturday and it is my first day of work at the grocery store. Professor McGonagall is allowing me to work on the weekends as long as I am back before dark, which is fine with me. I would rather my weekends be full then to be empty because that means I am more likely to run into… him. Seriously, why does he have to be such a douche bag? I know I shouldn’t compare lives but it happens sometimes, for all I know his parents could be worse than mine, but grr he is just so infuriating. I tie my hair up into a messy bun and grab my bag with my apron and schoolwork in it. I get to the painting when I run into Pansy and we both stumble backward. “Watch it, Rowyn.” She spat at me.

“You watch it Pansy.” I spat right back.

“Where are you going, looking like that.” She chortles and so does her lackeys.

“Kay, number one I didn’t know you cared about how I look so that’s flattering, number two it’s none of your damn business. Now, if you’ll excuse me.” I begin to walk away but her disgusting voice stops me.

“Well maybe you should stay away, Draco has been quite upset the last week and I’m pretty sure it has to do with you. Probably when you two were screaming at each other when we came back from Hogsmeade.”

I narrow my eyes, “And? He started it so I finished it. What is it to you? Oh, is he not giving you the love you deserve now?” I roll my eyes and turn my back.

“Just watch it from now on Rowyn, things were great before you came, stupid American.”

I turn and glare at her so evilly I think her friends stop laughing. “You had better not be threatening me Pansy or it’ll be the last thing you ever do.” I head straight to the grocer with fists tight until I entered The Magic Neep. I place my bag into a locker and slip on my apron then follow Mr. Valdor to the back where he shows me the produce and teaches me how to check the veggies and fruit to see if they are good enough to put on the shelves. I work hard that day and even help some people with picking out cantaloupes. I grab my bag and put my apron in my locker then say goodbye to Mr. Valdor and head back to Hogwarts. I smile the whole way back glad that I have a job and will be making good money soon. I stop in my tracks as I enter the castle, “shoot I forgot I was going to write to George!” I’ll have to do that after supper. I walk to the Great Hall with a bounce in my happy step and sit at the Slytherin table with a smile plastered to my face. I eat the rest of my supper then drink my soda. I grab my bag and head out the double doors and into the hallway.

I run up to my dorm room and take out some paper and a pencil. I pat Pandora on her little fluffy head and begin writing what has happened so far while I’ve been at Hogwarts for George. I finish my letter in an hour or so, fold it, and head to the owlery. Harry said I could always use his owl to send letters and such so I call for Hedwig when I enter the tower. Hedwig lands on my outstretched arm; I give her the letter and tell her who to deliver it to then she flies off. I hope George finds time to write me back. Hermione walks in and smiles at me, she then calls an owl over and sends off a letter as well. “How are things after two weeks of school?”

“Great classes are so interesting, though of course the boys always need help because they don’t pay attention like they should.” I nod and we both share a chuckle. “How are yours?”

“Alright, easy to concentrate on now. I got a job by the way, Prof. McGonagall is letting me on the weekends at the grocery store.”

“Oh that’s great! Is Draco bothering you? I spotted you looking rather irritated walking away from him last week.”

“Oh, no, he’s just… Draco. We don’t speak anymore so there’s that distraction gone. Well on a lighter note, I think I’m going to buy a broom when I get enough money. I use to fly in the States but it was always just with one of my friends. My parents never wanted to buy me one.”

“Sounds good, just don’t ever ask me to get on one of those things.” We chuckle again as we walk into the castle, “oh yeah when Halloween nears do you want to go shopping for costumes?”

“Uh, well Halloween isn’t really my thing.”

“Well it is now heifer.” I say and she snorts. I wave a goodbye and make my way back to the Slytherin tower.

(Monday)
Oh, goody I have classes today and what does that mean? Draco will be there. Sigh, I should stop being like this, he’s just some dude, albeit a very handsome and wonderful at kissing dude. I sigh once more as I roll out of my bed, gather my uniform and such, and then head to the bathroom to take a quick shower. I get out of the shower and do my thing, you know, every normal day stuff. I scoop up my clothes and head back to the room to put them in my hamper. I toss a treat to Pandora then slip on my shoes, robe, and my bag. I bounce down the stairs then out of the painting. Making my way to the Great Hall for breakfast and I spot Draco so I sit a few seats down from him. I want to say something to him so bad but then again I don’t. After eating I stand and make my way to class and sit down while taking out my spiral and jotting some things down. I kept writing as Draco sits down beside me, “Hello, Draco.”

“Hello Rowyn, you know we’ll be having a Halloween dance soon…”

I nod while keeping my eyes on the words I had written, “Mhmm”. I write another sentence then stop when he speaks again.

“So would you possibly go with me?” I shut my spiral and slip it into my bag before I answer.

“Yes if you actually dress up, and apologize to me.” I smirk. “Oh and if you could tell Pansy to just stop talking to me and trying to threaten me that’d be great as well.”

He looks at me with a puzzled expression, “What? She threatened you? When? And you’ll have to help me with ideas but nothing stupid. And... I'm um, sorry.” He said the last part quietly but I took it.

I nod, "yes, it was before I started work Saturday, she said I had ruined things with you that you had been angry and such. She told me to watch out or some crap, and I’ll brainstorm this weekend.”

“I’ll have a talk with that-“

“Calm down, I doubt she’d do anything, just tell her to stay away from me because you don’t want to deal with the drama or whatever.”

“Very well.” Class begins after several minutes and I can now concentrate much better than I had been last week.

It seems like school has flown by when fliers and announcements of the Halloween party begins to litter the boards around the castle. I am so ecstatic! I find Hermione in the halls before the weekend and ask her if she wants to shop with me.
(Skip to the weekend Hogsmeade trip)
Hermione and I walk to The Magic Neep to get my pay and then off to shopping! We look around at a couple of stores then go into one with some awesome steam punk costumes and such. Hermione just decided on something simple, she tries to explain her costume to me but it’s from one of the books she’s read and I just couldn’t listen. I really need to get that checked, my attention span. I chose a steampunk pirate costume (I’ll leave a link at the bottom), that is super cute. I also spotted a pirate gun and snatched it up quick. We practically skipped down the street to simply look around. Draco steps in front of us and clears his throat. “Um, Granger." He gives her a nod then looks at me, “Want to help me with a costume?” He asks awkwardly.

I chuckle, “Yeah sure, I’ll meet you later Hermione.” She nods and walks away while giving Draco a glare.

“So what did you get?” He asks.

“It’s a surprise!” We walk into one of the stores and there are so many dadgum people! I touch my finger to my chin, “hmm.” Then suddenly an IDEA! “Oh!” I shout and some people stare. “I know what, you can just be James Bond, or Blackheart from Ghost Rider, oh man he is pretty.” The excitement basically radiated from my body.

“Uh… I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Oh right he probably hasn’t seen the movies I have…

“I mean I kind of know who James Bond is, is he the dude that wears a tux most of the time or a suit?” He asks.

I laugh and nod, “yeah but Blackheart is a demon in a movie and he is such a beautiful man. All he looks like is he has like a bluish tint to his skin, wait but he has black hair though. Hmm, perhaps you could do steampunk?” After several more minutes I jump, “Sherlock Holmes, yes that’s it!” I run around the store collecting different pieces of clothing and hand them to Draco to try on. He walks out of the dressing room and I smile, "Perfect." Dang he looks good.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this has taken so long y'all, I've been busy with crafts and such to make some more monies, plus it was my father's 60th birthday this weekend and I decided to make my first not-just-a-balloon pinata! I made it into a fish, it came out okay lol. Anyway here is Rowyn's Halloween Costume:
Image

Draco's:

Image

I will probably post these again for the next story since that will be the actual party.