Status: I have NOT forgotten this story, I've merely run into lack of inspiration, but I'm working on it currently.

Just, Average

Part Twenty-One

Recap: Draco and Rowyn share an awesome hangout session of flying until Pansy ruins it by giving Draco some “tonic.” Rowyn attempts to focus on her studies only after telling Draco he’s a fool for thinking his love for Pansy is real. Rowyn intends to prove to him that Pansy has been bewitching him. Will she succeed?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And so it continues…

I place my spiral, parchment, and pencils in my bag then head to Charms. I actually pay great attention to the professor, considering the things I was just thinking earlier. I mean we were learning Aguamenti. That is a fairly nifty charm. After class this time I head to the courtyard, it’s cloudy and dreary outside; perfect. Luckily, the benches are dry; I sit down and put my earbuds in. I listen to music as I get out a book and read before lunch. I hope Fred or George write me soon. When I can no longer read more of my book, due to the fact that it is for school and terribly boring, I stand from my bench and gather my things. I feel several small droplets of rain hit my shoulder and quickly throw my hood over my head. I walk to the Great Hall and sit down to eat. As I am enjoying my meal who should come over to sit next to me but.. Blaise? “So, Rowyn, I was wondering if you’d want to go as my date to the Malfoy’s Christmas ball.”

I look up as he’s speaking to see Draco eyeballing us. He shakes his head as if to clear it of bad memories or idiotic thoughts. I perk a brow, is her stupid little spell wearing off? Well, although Draco said all Slytherin were invited to his party, I imagine I’m not at the top of the list, considering I haven’t made any Slytherin friends that haven’t become enemies. I turn back to Blaise, “Sure, but now I have to ask you several questions.” I pause to wait for him to nod. He does, “So, okay, this “ball” is it super formal? I mean ball gowns, tuxes, the whole nine yards?” He nods and I sigh, “Great I’ll see what I can find dress wise. K, do we all just arrive at a certain time? I mean invitations haven’t been given out yet have they?”

He chuckles, “No they usually come by December first. It details everything, festivities and such. Actually, the last two years they’ve let everyone stay the night before and the night of. Though, since I’m the best friend I usually stay before anyway.”

“Should you not be with your family?” I question.

He shrugs, “I don’t get along with them very much.”

“Ah neither do I… with my family that is. In fact, I haven’t spoken to them since I left the States to come here.”

His expression turns to that of surprise, “Oh man, so you just up and left? What a rebel.”

I laugh, “They didn’t care about my education, just wanted me to manipulate people like they do. Professor McGonagall came and got me, I’m so grateful.”

“A bit of a nag though isn’t she?”

“She can be, but that’s what makes her a great teacher, she wants to push you to do your absolute best.” I grin but am temporarily distracted by Draco grabbing his head and pushing Pansy away then walking out of the dining hall. “What’s happened?” I ask concerned.

Blaise turns and stares after his friend, “Not sure.”

“Perhaps you should check on him, yes?” He nods absent-mindedly and leaves me. Yeah go realize your friend isn’t himself you moron. Lunch ends and I head to the black lake. Sitting by a tree, I stare at the strangely dark rippling water. How can something so beautiful hold even just ONE evil creature? I take out my spiral and write about my day so far. As I get to a stopping point I spy Terrance with Pansy, I gather my things quietly and duck behind my tree, concealing myself in its branches.

“It’s wearing off sooner, Terrance. I got you in with the Malfoy’s now you get me a stronger potion, but like before so people aren’t suspicious.”

“It’s going to take time Parkinson; I have to make it myself and attempt to find the ingredients here at this stupid school. Snape’s always around that damn closet of his. It has everything I need.”

“I need it now! Tonight!” Did she just stomp her foot like a child?

“Look, this specific potion takes at least a week to get it right. All I have is my Great Grandmother’s recipe. Unless you’ve found a better, faster one that is done in six hours and won’t kill or disfigure your beloved Draco then let’s hear it!” He barely gives her time to answer before speaking again, “I thought not. What you’ll have to do while I work on a new potion is take the first one and give him half of the regular dose in the morning and the rest at night. If that doesn’t work, try a double dose. That’s all I have to say.” They walk away and I’m left, yet again, playing scenario after scenario in my head of how to either keep Draco from taking a dose or stealing the potion altogether. If the half dose doesn’t work as planned it’ll be easy to get him away from her. I walk back up to the castle to look for Harry but then realize it’s close to time for Muggle Studies.

Class goes by very slowly and I just want to take a nap, so I do! After all, I do have three more hours before supper. I step into the Slytherin common room and groggily head for the stairs to the girls dorms. I glance over at the fireplace and Draco is sitting with Pansy and her friends. He seems almost not there, like he’s on the verge of being lethargic and mental. He looks up at me and I smile sweetly. I continue walking; I’ll never forget the look he just gave me. I toss my bag to the floor and kick off my shoes then slide under the warm comforter. “He seemed trapped Panda, but like a person paralyzed. He’s aware now, but unable to move. Don’t worry darling, I will find a way to free you even if we don’t end up together.” Pandora snuggles up to me and we share a long nap then I get up and begrudgingly slip my shoes back on.

I head to supper and don’t dare look at Draco. I can’t do anything now, it will simply break my heart to look at him. I fill my plate and eat quietly while others around me chatter. I finish my food and stand nearly knocking into someone. “Oh, s-sorry,” I stutter and awkwardly attempt to side step the person. I look up, “Oh Blaise.” I smile.

“I was wondering if you wanted to go for a walk by the courtyard.”

Flustered I speak, “Um not tonight I have a lot of homework.”

He seems almost angry but quickly disguises it with a smile. “Very well, tomorrow then.” It is more like a statement. I step around him, successfully this time and walk away. Go for a walk? Pfft. I quickly make my way to my room and plop down onto my bed while dragging out my homework from today. As I come to the end of my charms work, I change into a t-shirt, jeans, and my black ski jacket. I grab my broom and rush through the common room, then as I’m closing in on the doors that lead outside I’m halted by one of my least favorite voices and her tone is authoritative.

“And where are YOU going?” I roll my eyes and turn around to face Pansy as she crosses her arm like a spoiled brat. Crabb and Goyle stand beside her, staring at me.

“Well, it seems as though I’m going outside with a broom, which would suggest that I intend on riding it. May I assist you with any other stupid questions?” I smile sweetly and await her retort.

“It’s nearly curfew, and you’re not allowed to fly alone so late.”

“Aww, are you going to chaperone me?” I put on a super innocent smile.

“I don’t have time to babysit you, get to the Slytherin tower.”

“What like you have better things to do? No, I’m going.” I open the doors and place one foot over the threshold.

“Domire, I’m warning you.” She glares.

“What exactly are you going to do Parkinson?” I take another step.

“I can give you detention!” She raises her voice and her friends watch tentatively. I step fully outside, mount my broom, and kick off the ground. I laugh as I soar higher and twirl in the air zooming in and out of some trees. After a few minutes, I zip back to the castle and land on the steps.

“Shouldn’t have done that.” Blaise says as he emerges from the shadows.

I scoff, “What be defiant to a blathering halfwit? Some people don’t need positions with authority attached to them. They can’t think they can get away with everything.”

“True, but I think she’s going to Professor Snape first thing tomorrow.”

“Pfft, what’s he going to do? Give me detention? I’m a good student it won’t be too harsh, I hope anyway. It was worth it. Speaking of people who get away with everything, was Draco okay when he quickly left supper?”

“Draco? Oh yeah he thought he ate something bad.” Mhmm or DRANK something.

“Why do you care? Do you like him?” He teases as we walk back to the common room.

I sigh, “I did once.” We step through the painting and go our separate ways to the dorms. I change and lie on my back under my comforter staring up at the canopy. “Welp Panda tomorrow I’ll be in trouble I guess… Oh well!” I laugh, turn over, and fall asleep. I wake to my alarm and as usual groggily slip out of bed. I go through my normal morning routine then snatch up my bag and head to breakfast. Just as I am about to enter the Great Hall my name is called from behind me.

“Ms. Domire.” That long drawn out voice, Prof. Snape.

“Sir!” I nearly shout.

“It was brought to my attention that you deliberately disobeyed a prefect, is this correct?”

“What exactly did she say I did?”

“Did you disobey her or not?”

“Sir am I not allowed to hear what I’m being accused of? If you want to dance around the facts, fine. I wanted to fly she said I needed a chaperone even though it wasn’t yet curfew and I went anyway AND came back before curfew. Blaise can tell you that.”

“Is that all?” He questions.

“Yes, sir.”

“Very well, detention three days next week, after classes.”

“Okie dokie, it’s a date!” I skipped away to my seat smiling. The day goes by rather slowly, I spot Terrance at one point stuffing something into his bag sneakily. Must be part of his potion. I receive letters from George and Fred and they are of no help. No one seems to believe there could be a love potion that doesn’t have obvious effects. After supper, I catch up on homework and head to bed early. Finally, it’s Friday and I get to go to work. Luckily, I get off in time to catch the rest of the Quidditch match between Gryffindor and Slytherin. I go ahead and sit with the Slytherins, though I am mentally rooting for Gryffindor. I spy Draco in his Quidditch gear, oh he’s the seeker for us. I didn’t know that, he looks pretty though. I sigh and smile at his concentration face. The match goes on with the teams neck and neck, until they spot the snitch.

Harry is first to react, but Draco is hot on his tail. Who the heck do I cheer for? Both! Draco tries bumping Harry out of the way which makes me growl, but Harry bumps him back. Each team is scoring points back and forth but all I can concentrate on is that flash of blonde hair. Just as Draco and Harry are both reaching for the snitch Draco grabs his chest, sways, and falls. There are screams around me, but Madame Hooch doesn’t see him yet. I yank out my wand and point it at Draco’s unconscious falling form, steady Rowyn.

“Levicorpus!” I shout and he’s held dangling by his ankle, and I lower him to the ground as best I can. Several people watch me and I can feel someone glaring, but I don’t care. After I make sure he’s safely on the ground I race down the steps and onto the field. His team is already by his side and I can see Madam Pomfrey on her way. “Is he alright?” I shout moving closer. I move one of the teammates gently and ask again, “Is he alright?” Then his face comes into view, he’s breathing at least. I let out a sigh of relief and Madam Pomfrey shoo’s everyone out of the way. I stare after him as they carry him on a sort of stretcher.

“That was quick thinking Ms. Domire.” Said Madam Hooch. Many Slytherin students who by now have gathered onto the field murmur agreements.

Then Pansy comes shoving her way through, “My Drakie, what happened?” At that moment I cannot control the rage boiling inside, the hatred, the repugnance I have for her all comes bursting forth like a natural disaster, volcano, monsoon you make up your own similes.

“You! This is all your fault you selfish child!” I scream and can no longer control my body, my arm stretches back and I swing throwing my fist forward with so much momentum I hadn’t thought it possible. The collision to her face knocks her off her feet and I come flying back to reality as I hear the thud and see her sprawled out before me. Oops, I’m in trouble.