Status: I have NOT forgotten this story, I've merely run into lack of inspiration, but I'm working on it currently.

Just, Average

Part Twenty-Three

Recap: Rowyn gets even more detention for decking Pansy in the face, detention that she completes with ease. She visits Draco a few times while he is in the hospital healing, but barely speaks to him, her head so full of ideas to rid him of his plight. She slips into a short depression, becoming a recluse but trying harder in her classes. Finally coming out of the solemn fog, she conjures up a great plan. All she has to do now is spend all her hard-earned money on some stupid dress; then become the best thief of all time…
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And so it continues…

I eat my lunch then set off toward the black lake. I take out my spiral and quickly jot down which ingredients to swipe from Snape’s closet tonight. I shut my spiral and shove it back into my bag as Blaise walks up to me. “Oh Blaise, I was just thinking of you.”

“Is that right?”

I nod, “Yes, well you see, I don’t have anywhere to go for Christmas. So, if I’m going to be able to make the dance I need to stay at the Malfoys for Christmas. Since you say you’re able to go straight there I thought-”

“-That I could help get you an invite?” He asks while crossing his arms.

“Yes. However; if that’s asking too much, perhaps I can stay at the Weasley’s and floo over or something.” His expression swiftly changes.

“Oh no no no, I couldn’t make you do that. Stay with them. That would be ungentlemanly.” He puffs up his chest, as if he just rescued me from some terrible situation. It takes all I have not to show how much that little speech of his irked me.

“Oh, thank you!” I exclaim and hug him. Oh God, I hope I’m not pushing myself on him too much. I don’t know how to do this. I snatch up my things from the ground and we walk back to the castle. Blaise takes off on his own, to the blonde from earlier, and I go ahead and ambulate to Charms class; which went by about as fast as usual. I head to the Slytherin tower and into the common room then to my bed. I take out my Transfiguration homework and get started. By the end of the hour I finish the work and begin my A History of Magic work. At the end of my very long essay, I let out an exasperated sigh. Good grief that man… ghost is going to kill me! It is close to five when I am finally done. Boy I sure wish I could become invisible or something to get to Snape’s closet. Blaise! He should know some thugs who can help me for the right price I imagine.

Perhaps the two ingredients that are least suspicious I can get mailed to me. I take out my spiral once more and write each Weasley twin my requests. I roll the letters up, check the time, and set off to the Owlery. I give my letters to Hedwig and thank her before she flies seemingly into the sky. Now for the more difficult pieces. I go to supper and eat occasionally looking up to sneak glances at Blaise hoping he doe not leave before me. Supper comes to and end and I see Blaise stand with Draco and their crew. Okay, okay I can do this. I stand as well and follow behind them until we close in on the common room painting. “Blaise?” He turns and smiles, Draco also turns, but does not smile. Blaise steps up to me and perks a brow. “I have a favor to ask.”

“Oh?”

“Y-yes, you see I need a smuggler, or a thief one of the two.” His brow lifts so high I thought it might fly off his face.

“You? I thought you were some goody goody.”

“Don’t let appearances fool you. Now will you help me or not?”

“Alright, alright, calm down. What do you need?”

“Well you see I’m making a potion, a potion who’s ingredients are sitting in Snape’s closet.”

“Would this potion be one that is going to be used on someone?”

“Yes, a Gryffindor.”

His face lights up, “Why Rowyn, I had no idea how much of a Slytherin you really were. Yeah I’ll help, but the people I know will want something.”

“Just get me some ball park figures and I’ll see what I can come up with.” He nods and we step through the painting together. I meet the gaze of Draco once more before walking upstairs to my bedroom. How am I to afford these ruffians AND a nice dress? I go to bed early hoping all of my distresses will be solved by morning. Of course, that was more wish than reality.

I wake the next morning, dress, slap some make up on, then grab my bag and go down to breakfast; Blaise sits down beside me. “Okay I have a few people in mind that can help you. A few are expensive, others are not. But what you need to remember is some are better than others at getting what you want. So basically it’s either quality or expense.”

“What do the ones who do the best want?” I ask and take a drink of my almond milk.

“Six galleons.”

“Six!” I nearly shout.

“Shh.”

“Sorry,” I say more hushed, “Six damn galleons? Well I suppose that seems fair. Alright I can do that, is that per ingredient?”

“No for the whole thing. Most of them do these things because it give them a ‘rush’. They don’t usually need the money, but each one will only get you half of the ingredients.”

“Alright, set it up for me and I’ll have the money for them tomorrow.” He nods and leaves me, I then stand and head to work. As it nears my lunch hour I walk to the bank to take out twelve dadgum galleons, place them in a bag and stuff that bag deep into one of my jeans pockets. I get back just in time to clock back in and start stocking the produce. My shift finally ends and I swiftly make my way back to the castle where Filch stands waiting for me, so he can close the gate. I spot Ms. Norris beside him and smile at her. I don’t see how anyone can dislike her, she’s so beautiful and she only tells on you if you’re doing something bad. “Hello, Mr. Filch.” I smile and he grumbles. I find Blaise waiting for me in front of the Great Hall doors. “Hello my love.” I smirk.

“Okay it’s done. I’ll get the money later.” I nod and we sit at our separate places at the dining table and eat. I finish my meal and walk with Blaise toward the Slytherin tower. We step down an abandoned hallway and I give him six galleons. He looks up, waiting for the rest.

“I’m not a fool Blaise, you tell them they get half now and half when they get all of what I need. Here’s the list.” I hand him a sheet of paper I had written up earlier.

He smirks, “My, my, Rowyn you’re beginning to be a very interesting girl.”

“This is business Mr. Zambini.” I turn and walk away to the common room then up to my bed. I pat Pandora on her little fluffy kitty head and smile to myself. I get up in the morning and ready for work then head to breakfast. I look around as I bite into my toast and see several students receiving letters dropped from their owls. I hope Fred and George are able to get me what I need. I take a swig of orange juice and sling my bag over my shoulder then walk to work. As my lunch hour comes, I grab my bag and jog down to the closest dress shop, Gladrags Wizardwear. After ten minutes of searching frantically, I find what I deem the perfect dress, and thankfully, it was only thirteen galleons and one sickle. Wait, I don’t have any money with me and I can’t make it to the bank in time. I will just have to wait until next weekend, I sigh.

I turn and jog back to the grocer to finish my shift. I trudge to the Slytherin tower and just as I am near the painting I hear someone call my name. I spin around with a confused expression plastered to my face, and then I recognize, “Blaise.” He holds a finger to his lips to shush me. I look around and walk closer to him then perk a brow.

“I have half of what you wanted.” He hands me the ingredients in a bag and I quickly look through them.

“Good, you’ll get the rest when I do.” He nods and smirks.

“Who would have thought, you’d be a bad girl.”

“Well you don’t really know me do you? I’ve been here all of three months,” I chuckle. I stick the
small bag into my messenger one and we walk into the common room. Pansy glares at us and I whisper to Blaise, “I think you’re in trouble for speaking to me.”

“Eh, who cares what she thinks. I wish Draco would tire of her, but they’re getting closer.”

“And you don’t think something may be wrong?” I ask sarcastically.

“What do you mean?”

I shake my head, “Never mind. I’ll see you later.” I take my things up to my room and stick them in my charmed suitcase then head down to supper. I eat my dinner rapidly then set off toward the common room at an almost jogging pace. As I turn a corner, I bump into Terrance, “Oh of my way peasant!” I shout and attempt to step angrily around him.

“Where are you off to in such a hurry?” He questions and smirks.

My eyes flash from irritation to pure anger, “Why Terrance that’s none of your damn business. Ta ta.” I wave my hand in the air as if to dismiss him and keep walking. I enter my room and study the list of ingredients marking off the one’s I already have. This potion only takes a week to make so that is okay, those thieves better get what I need. I take out my books and complete the rest of my DADA homework, then place it into my bag with my other work. My roommates come bustling in giggling and ready for the night; I roll my eyes and shut the curtains around my bed. Falling asleep slowly I cuddle Pandora.

The rest of the week seems to go by so slowly that I almost cannot stand it. Thankfully though, it’s another weekend and I can get my dress now. I practically skip to work and am antsy the whole time until my lunch break. I race to the bank, get enough money for the dress, and then high tail it to the clothes shop. I enter the shop panting and search the store with my eyes for my perfect dress. Oh no, it’s not here! “No.” I sit on one of the suede benches and put my head in my hands,

“What am I to do now?”

“May I help you dear?” An older wisp of a woman asks me.

“Well, there was this dress I saw last week but I didn’t have the money at the time and now I don’t see it.” I say exasperatedly.

“What did it look like?”

“Oh it was perfect, it was a black knee length dress, with an A-line skirt and one shoulder strap.”

“Oh! I know the one, no dear it hasn’t been sold, someone may have moved it. Let me help you find it. I remember all of my dresses.” I hop up and clap my hands then follow her around the store. We finally find it stuffed behind some other dresses.

“Oh thank you!”

“I’ll take it to the register.” I nod then scan all of the shoes she has and pick a pair of black wedges. I bounce up to the register and barely have enough money to pay for my things before bounding back to work. Thankfully, the woman wrapped my dress up and I am able to place it into my locker. I happily finish my shift then take my things and walk back to the castle. With the biggest grin on my face I take my new outfit to my room and place it into my suitcase.

I am almost to the Great Hall when I run into Harry, “Hey Harry.”

“Hello Rowyn, haven’t seen you lately.”

“Yeah I was in a funk. Hey if you hear anything about me making something for a Gryffindor, it’s all hearsay. K?”

He gives me a puzzled expression, “Wha-”

“Don’t ask, I’ll explain some other time, I gotta go.” I sit at my place and fill my plate. As I eat, someone sits down next to me and I turn to face them. “Hello darling.”

Blaise smirks and leans forward close to my ear, “I have the rest, just meet me as before in that hall by the Slytherin tower.”

“Very well.” I continue eating and glance up every so often at Draco. Am I the only one that can see he’s miserable inside? I eat the last of my meal then get up and amble toward the Slytherin common room. I race up stairs to my suitcase and take out the last of the money I owe to the thieves then head back downstairs and out of the painting. I walk to the designated hallway and wait for Blaise. He comes practically strutting around the corner with a bag slung over his shoulder and smirks at me. “You look quite smug.” I chuckle.

“No, I believe I can handle it.” I hand him the money and he hands me the bag, albeit a bit disappointed. I rush up to my room and place the other ingredients into my suitcase. Great, now all I need are the ones I asked the twins for, I hope they come through for me. I change for bed and lie down to read the DADA textbook to get caught up on school work. I fall asleep eventually and dream of my dress. I wake in the morning and get ready for another day of work then head down to the Great Hall for breakfast. The mail comes and I get two packages from Fred and George. I nearly jump out of my seat with joy, but quickly contain my excitement. I finish my breakfast and jog back to my room to put the packages in my lovely suitcase. I walk to the gate and head down the path to the grocers. At the end of my workday, I walked with pep in my step, so to speak, all the way back to the castle.

I head straight to supper and eat less than normal, so as to finish more quickly. I set off toward the Slytherin common room before everyone else and enter the painting with a smile on my face. I race up the stairs and begin pulling out all of the ingredients for the potion and placing them on my bed. I shut my curtains and read and reread the directions, finally I put four ingredients in my small cauldron straight away stirring them counter clockwise. I allow them to simmer together for five minutes before adding another four ingredients. As those pieces are melding together, I tear open my packages from the twins and stick the final pieces into the cauldron but in different places. I slowly lower my cauldron into my suitcase and slide it under my bed before clambering back onto my bed as the door opens revealing four prissy little Slytherin girls giggling. I lie down with Pandora beside me and let out a sigh of relief, “Now we will get him back Panda.”
♠ ♠ ♠
First, let me apologize for this part taking so long. Second, I was so saddened to hear of Alan Rickman's passing. Third, a link of Rowyn's Christmas Ball outfit will be in the next part. Lastly, thank you to another subscriber!