A Little Sweetness in My Life

New D-Man

“Katie, get up!” I beat on the door to her bedroom.

“Go away,” she muttered and I could only imagine her rolling over in her bed, taking the covers with her.

“We’re going to be late,” I reminded her… for like the fourth time this morning.

She muttered something that I couldn’t make out. I rolled my eyes and opened the door anyway… to find her completely under the covers.

“Get up,” I complained and pulled on the blankets.

She put up a fight, but I eventually managed to pull all of the covers off of her and got them onto the floor. It left her lying there… glaring at me.

“Get up!” I repeated.

“You couldn’t have waited five more minutes,” she muttered and got to her feet. She then stomped around the room to get her clothes… and then slammed the door shut on her way into the bathroom.

I rolled my eyes and tried to fight off a smile. That’s Katie. I met her while both of us were at OSU. Since we both applied and received the same internship, we got an apartment together… and sometimes we act like an old married couple.

Leaving her to get ready, I went into my own bathroom to do the same. Towards the end of my makeup application, my phone that was on the countertop rattled a bit. I glanced down to see that I had a message from someone. It said RyJo… and I was a bit surprised. I didn’t think he’d be up so early.

“Gonna see the boys today,” was what it said.

“Hospital visit today?” I asked back since that’s the only thing he could mean. Within a few minutes he replied back.

“Yup. Should be fun,” came next.

“Katie!” I called out to her after I put my phone down.

“What?!” she groaned from what sounded like the living room.

“We get to see hockey players today,” I informed her.

“Lovely,” she muttered from the doorway behind me now.

“Ryan texted me and said the boys are going to be there today,” I went on.

“Are you guys like… dating?” she wrinkled her brow at me in the mirror.

“No, but I think you should date him,” I smirked back at her.

“I don’t think so,” she rolled her eyes. “I’ve never even met him.”

“He’s really cute…” I added.

“Worry about yourself, Ky,” she muttered and turned around to leave me alone. I shook off a laugh and finished getting ready.

I actually… met Ryan at a bar around campus… and then we met again a few days later at Nationwide Children’s Hospital with the rest of the Columbus Blue Jackets. We just thought it was ironic that we met a couple times and exchanged numbers. We’re been pretty good friends since then. Katie has actually seen him a few times… but she might not have realized it was actually him…

Once I made sure Katie and I were ready, we piled into my car and began our journey to the hospital… but first we made a pit stop for coffee. Katie seemed to perk up a little more after this.

“Do we get tickets for the game for putting up with these guys today?” Katie question as we began to walk into the building.

“I don’t think so,” I laughed at her question.

“That’s dumb,” she muttered.

Keeping quiet since we were passing other nurses, we went to our station to see where we would be for the day. They paired us together, so that was a good thing. Once we got to where we needed to be, we were greeted with a group of hockey players already.

Ryan was one of the first I spotted. When our eyes met, his seem to twinkle a little bit before he came over… with someone coming along with him. I haven’t seen this guy before, but the blue jersey told me that he was on their team.

“We got a new guy!” Ryan told me with a slightly too large smile on his face.

“Way to make him feel uncomfortable,” I teased, trying not to stare at this ‘new guy’ too much. He was handsome…

“This is Kevin; our new D-man,” he went on to introduce.

Obviously, I went on to tell him my name. He seemed a bit awkward, but his smile appeared. It was beautiful. We didn’t really chat too much. There were children that needed to be visited. It was adorable to see all of these big muscley hockey players interact with tiny children though. My days aren’t so rough when I get to witness this.
♠ ♠ ♠
We're writing about my Columbus booooys eeeee :D lol

Kylee