A Little Sweetness in My Life

I Hate Him

“Go rescue Katie,” I told Ryan who was sitting across the table.

“What?” he was obviously confused by my statement.

“The bar. Her ex. Go!” If I were next to him I would have shoved him to get him going.

The look quickly changed on his face. Without another word, he got up and headed towards the bar. I really wanted to watch and see Katie’s reaction when he came up on her, but… I figured she’d be mad that I sent Ryan… But whatever. Brownies points to him.

“My ex is nowhere around, so you don’t have to worry about swooping in to save me tonight,” I told Kevin and then took a sip of my drink.

“That’s good to know,” he let out a laugh; his voice a bit raspy. “Mine’s back in Texas, so we’re both on the same level then,” he added.

“Texas… so that’s where you came from,” I replied.

“Dallas,” he nodded his head.

“So, you were… traded?” I wasn’t sure if this was a touchy subject, but my mouth got ahead of my thinking… which happens all the time. I mean… you would think players get a bit offended when they’re traded around.

“Not exactly,” he shrugged, obviously not wanting to talk too much about it.

“You’ll like Columbus,” I assured him with a smile.

“That’s what everyone’s been telling.”

“Well, do you like it so far?” I still couldn’t get rid of my smile.

“Columbus has been good to me,” he smiled so cutely. I wanted to reach over and pinch his cheeks. That’s how adorable he was.

Thankfully, before I could act on that impulse, Ryan and Katie came back. Ryan seemed pleased with himself… and Katie looked slightly annoyed. Her eyes though… relief was in them.

“I could have handled myself,” she muttered.

“Aw, but RyJo was so sweet and went over to help,” I cooed, making her roll her eyes. Ryan tried to contain his smile as he looked off; his cheeks flushing a bit.

After a while though, everyone settled into conversation. Katie lightened up a bit more… and I was showing a bit more interest in Kevin. He was kind of quiet, but he still had this warm and inviting vibe about him.. And the shirt he was wearing was showing off his arms. Lord, help me.

I managed to keep my hands to myself though. My eyes were a completely different story. But I didn’t even care. He’s so handsome. He’s tall, blond, blue eyed, beardy… hunky… Ryan was right. He’s so my type… But I wasn’t going through this again!

“So, same time week?” Ryan asked once the bill came. He brought a card from his wallet, handing it to the waiter without even looking at the tab.

“My treat then next week,” Kevin added. I was going to protest against Ryan’s suggestion, but then this guy had to butt in.

“Only if I get to pick the place,” I countered.

“That’s not fair,” Katie blurted out. I didn’t… expect her to. I thought she’d fight tooth and nail against this idea.

“Well, they can go where Kylee wants to and we can go where you want to…” Ryan shifted his attention towards her… and my insides were squealing. Date date date date date.

“Ha!” she threw at me. After a few moments though, the look in her eyes quickly changed. She had just realized what she agreed too… and I was so ecstatic.

“I cannot wait,” my smartass mouth said, making Katie roll her eyes.

A slight glare came over her then. Before she could say anything, Kevin said he’d walk me out to my car. Now was the time for Katie to send me a raised eyebrow expression. Ignoring it, I followed Kevin out of the restaurant.

“If you don’t want to do anything next week, that’s fine. I don’t want you to feel like…”

“No,” I hurried to cut him off as we entered the garage. “I want to show you more of the city,” I added. Slowly, a toothless grin came over his while he began to nod.

“Ryan told me you were one of the nicest girls he’s met down here,” he said then.

“Well, I think I got dethroned from that title tonight…” I kind of smirked as I saw Ryan and Katie coming this way. They were both laughing about something

Kevin and I went on to exchange numbers so we could set up our next meeting. I was kind of excited for it though. I love showing people around my city. And it doesn’t hurt that he’s super cute.

“I hate him,” Katie bluntly stated once we were both in the car, obviously referring to Ryan.

“No you don’t!” it was so hard for me not to laugh.

“I do!” she was quick to reply.

“I think he’s fun for you,” was my response.

She huffed and crossed her arms, muttering things about refusing to enjoy being around Ryan. I let her rattle off at the mouth though. She had a good time tonight, as did I. I was kind of looking forward to that next time… and I knew Katie was secretly too.
♠ ♠ ♠
Kylee