Xenophobia

12:00

“You have to promise me that you won’t go back home. It’s not safe…”

I stared at the mound of dirt that was adorned with various flowers and a small cross, fighting back the tears that were begging to fall.

I pulled the small velvet box from out of the pocket of my uniform jacket, brushing my thumb against the fabric.

I bit down on my lip.

“You know? When the mission was over, I was going to give this to you. I was going to officially ask you to marry me, regardless if this fight ended or not. That was the only thing that kept me going, really. ‘If I survive, then I will ask him without hesitation’. ‘If I survive, I will get to be with him as a husband’. I guess I never took into account that…”

I balled up my fists in anger, shaking my head in denial.

“This fight isn’t yours anymore. Ivanov wanted you dead, but he doesn’t know if you’re alive or not. This is your chance to escape while you can.”

“I can’t sit back and be weak anymore. Ivanov took away someone I deeply cared about in the past, and I couldn’t do anything about it. Now, he does it again, and I…!”

I wiped away the tears that were falling before placing the box on top of the mound.

“Luke…I know you would hate me for what I’m about to do, and I’m sorry. Before I go, I just want you to know that…I love you so much, and I always will…and who knows?”

I started to move away from the mound.

“…Maybe I’ll see you soon.”

| x | x | x |

Surveillance was lax.

My identity was not asked.
My body was not searched.

I made my way up six flights of stairs, opening the door of the designed floor.
His office was in sight, guarded by two of his soldiers – a man and a woman; both young, both of lower rank.

I locked the silencer onto the barrel of the gun before walking towards them, shooting without hesitation.

Inhale. Exhale.

I slowly opened the door, closing it behind me in the same fashion.
He sat in his chair, his back facing me, conversing with someone on the phone.

“Any update on Hansen’s location?”

I walked up to him, placing the barrel of the gun to the back of his head.

“…Never mind. I know where he is now.”

He hung up the phone, remaining silent for a small moment.

“I didn’t think that you would have survived. I would be lying if I said that I wasn’t impressed.”
“I only survived because you’ve killed someone that I loved, just like last time…”

“Oh, so Holland’s dead? At least I don’t have to worry about him coming after me.”

I frowned and nudged the gun against his head, reminding him of the situation that he’s in.

“I’ll give it to you, Hansen: you must have finally grown a pair to come after me alone, gun in hand. However, I still doubt that you have the balls to pull the trigger.”

I heard the door open, but I didn’t move.

“Hansen, this is an order: drop your weapon and move away from the Commander!”

There were only two men behind me – most likely with guns aimed at me.

“I’m afraid you won’t even get a chance to ‘exact your revenge’. And you’ve come so far!”
Ivanov let out a small laugh after his statement.

“I’m giving you three seconds to drop your weapon, or we will open fire!”

I let a tear fall.

“One…!”

“That’s where you’re wrong, Sir.”

“Two…!”

I placed my finger on the trigger.

“Three!”

. . .

BANG!

. . .

BANG! BANG!
♠ ♠ ♠
And that's the end, lovelies!
Granted, this probably wasn't my best story, but I didn't want to wuss out on completing this one, sooooo yeah.
Thanks to the small amount of you that actually decided to read this eheheh.
More to come in the future!
- Sasha <3