Eye of the Beholder

Prologue

The aftermath of a war was not for one of the faint of heart. The remains or carniage the stench of death and blood tainted the air. The wails of pain both physical and of loss echoed. Countless soldiers were spending their victory being tended to by Elvish healers, their bodies displayed in every available inch of the fallen city of which they took refuge. The chants of the healers mixed with the foul stench that remained gave off a feeling of hope and prosperity from the darkness that had flourished. A young ellth glided gracefully between the cots to the small well that remained in the ruins of the city. Quickly she retrieved the water before returning to where she had come from. Nestled in a nook of what remained of a home, giving off a bit of privacy, the young elf placed the bucket beside a she elf.

She thanked the girl and poured the cool, clear water into the basin beside her. Her dark, glossy curls contained in intricate braids swept away from her smooth face. Not a flaw to be seen, dark shapely eyebrows rested above bright blue green orbs. A burgundy travel dress hung off her shoulders dipping into her bodacious bosom. A sparkling gem twinkling from the hollow of her breasts. Her long, elegant fingers dipped a cloth into the water and dabbed at her patient’s skin.

“Who is he Ari?” the young ellth asked eagerly.

“This is a prince.” The older she elf answered, her voice musically soft like a lullaby.

“How can you tell?” the young apprentice asked.

“His armor.” The brunette answered nodding toward the armor he still adorned. Reaching for the buckles the She elf began undressing the soldier of his armor to take in his injuries. Upon revealing his lean muscled physique she found what she was looking for. “We are dealing with royalty that’s for sure.”

The elf that lay before her was clearly war experienced his torso littered with small scars and his large hands rough. His hair was light his face fair with dark strong eyebrows resting above his restless eyelids. The she elf cleaned his wounds thoroughly taking notice to the bite of a sword in his side and where an arrow had penetrated just above his heart. After cleaning the wounds she stitched them with the utmost care.

As she retrieved a herb from her satchel, the young soldier’s eyes began to open slowly. Through the slits of his eyesight he took in his surroundings he immediately noticed the sun that was shining hopefully from above, a far difference from the darkness that battlefield had incased his troops in.
Then he noticed the beautiful elf beside him. The daylight behind her enhanced her beauty tenfold the darkness of her hair seemed lovelier her eyes shinier and her lips more lushes. He watched hazily through the slits of his eyes as the stem of a herb disappeared between her supple lips and was pulled back. The serum of the broken stem seeped onto her fingers as she applied it to his side.

“Who are you?” he questioned groggily in his native Elvish tongue.

The she elf’s arctic eyes peering into his steel ones before answering “I am Arendelle. What is your name?”

“Arendelle.” He tasted the name upon his lips enjoying how it flowed effortlessly down his tongue. “I am Thranduil. Prince of –“

“The woodland relm. I know I’ve heard of you.” She continued for him. “You really must rest save your energy.”

“My father” The prince began, panic striking through his azul eyes as he began to sit up “Where is he?”

“King Oropher is fine and well.” She answered beginning to collect her supplies. “You on the other hand are very lucky. This” she pointed to his chest above his heart “Almost pierced your heart could have killed you.”

Thranduil examined the beauty before him completely in awe of her, seeing she was preparing to leave he quickly reached and caught her hand in a desperate attempt to keep her at his side. “Are you sure it didn’t?” He placed her hand to his beating heart and a contemplating look graced his features. “It seems you are right for my heart seems to beat even faster than before with you around my lady Arendelle.”

Arendelle’s cheeks blushed deeply as she stared dumbstruck at the Prince before her. He was handsome no doubt. Bowing her head, Arendelle placed her supplies back down and kneeled again beside the wounded elf.

“Have you struck a fever mumbling such nonsense?” She questioned placing her hand to his forehead in amused tone lingering on her words.

“No fever has produced these truthes I speak. You are indeed very lovely My lady nothing more should a warrior wish to see when he opens his eyes than a beautiful maiden tending to him.”

“ please lay back and rest.” Arendelle pleaded her face burning with a blush one hand on his chest the other beside his head to guide it back down. Thranduil was on the brink of argue when his father stepped in followed by Lord Elrond of Rivendelle.

“Father, King Oropher” Arendelle bowed before leaving her station to find where she was needed. Glancing through the window she caught the prince’s gaze once more and smiled bowing her head in another blush.

By the passing day Thranduil and his people were following Lord Elrond back to Rivendelle seeing as it was closer than the Woodland relm to better rest and resupply. As he rode ahead of his people his arm in a sling to relieve pressure to the wound in his chest his steely gaze fell upon the cloaked figure before him. The elleth had taken refuge in his mind and the prince could not deny his attraction the princess of Rivendelle. As if feeling his gaze, Arendelle turned and peered behind her. Their eyes met and Thranduil gave her a smiling nod she blushed deeply returning the gesture before turning back to face forward.

Upon reaching Rivendelle Thranduil was escorted to his own private chamber. After undressing of his armor and placing his satchel on the ground his long legs carried him to the open balcony overlooking the relm. With a goblet of wine in his hand he sipped it casually, enjoying Rivendelle’s beauty.

“You really should be resting my Lord”

Turning Thranduil’s gaze fell upon a beauty that put Rivendelle to shame.

“You think me weak do you?” he smiled softly.

“Not at all Lord Thanduil” Arendelle answered gliding gracefully to where he stood. “I think you are a strong, skilled solider but I am worried you may pop your stitching with all the jostling around you’ve been doing along the journey.”

Thranduil took full notice of how the beauty’s looks had changed. Her hair was down cascading over her right shoulder as a brad began at her left temple and disappeared under the flowing curls. Her dress was a flowing number that accentuated her shapely waist and rested at the base of her shoulders. Her appearance much different than in the ruins of the city.

“Will you let me look over your wounds my Lord?”

“of course” Thranduil snapped out of his trance and began removing his tunic.

He suppressed a shiver as her fingers removed the dressing to inspect his injuries. He took the opportunity to gaze at the elleth once more taking in how her brow furrowed slightly as she focused on her handiwork. With her so close he could smell the sweet aroma of her hair and his fingers itched to reach out and have it flow through is fingers.

“They seem to be healing nicely” She finally commented before standing up straighter “You have pulled the stitching a little so I want you to rest. I won’t wrap them so they can breath. Wear loose fitting tunics as to not aggravate it. As for now I think you should build up your strength again and rest.”

With these words said she seemingly floated to the bed and pulled the covers down. Deciding to amuse the elleth Thranduil did as she said and made himself comfortable in the bed.

The days following Thranduil developed a bond with the young princesses. She would come to asses his progress and they would spend hours talking. They discussed their homes and the differences and similarities, their likes and dislikes. Thranduil learned how Arendelle had a particular talent for archery and she learned of his particular taste for sweet Elvish wine. Thranduil made it his mission to learn as much about the elleth as possible for he knew events would pull him away from her all too soon.

He watched lazily as Arendelle’s talented fingers threaded the needle through the material. Her brow furrowed in concentration her bossom rising and falling as she breathed deeply. Thranduil reclined against the pillow his steely gazing watching her intently. Her moves so casual but somehow they captivated him as if she were performing the most unbelievable of magic.

“Would my lady enjoy a walk through the garden?”

Arendelle smiled softly a him as she put aside her needlework. “Only if my lord is feeling up to it.”

“I believe my company will provide me with all the strength I need” he smiled.

Arendelle stood as Thranduil pushed himself to sit up wincing slightly as he pulled his side. Arendelle slid her arm around his back and aided him in standing holding onto his hand as he stood on his feet. Behind the curtain of his snowy mane he smiled as his plan worked. Straightening his spine the couple began out of the chamber and down the halls of Lord Elronde’s home, Arendelle’s arms still wrapped around Thranduils.

“Allow me to walk with you as a gentlemen so my fellow kin may not see me weak.” Thranduil offered. Arendelle laughed and slid her arm through his as they walked. Soon they arrived in the garden full of lush green and a small lively waterfall. The two sat on the bench taking in the atmosphere around them.

“I must admit Lord Thranduil I have enjoyed your company recently.” Arendelle admitted tucking a curl behind her pointed ear. A deep blush painted across her high cheekbones her eyes cast down shyly.
Thranduil’s fingers reached out and grazed under her chin bringing her gaze to meet his. “As have I Arendelle. You bring such a light to me in these dark times. I wonder how I lived before knowing you.”

“I don’t wish to think of times before knowing you Thranduil or when you must leave me.” Her voice dropped down into a whisper as the saddening thought entered he mind. Thranduil’s visti was only temporary and soon he would leave her.

“I don’t plan on leaving you Arendelle.”

At this statement Arendelle looked up at him confused her brows knitted.

“I don’t wish to live without you Arendelle. I want you to come back with me to my kingdom.”

“To Greenwood?”

“Yes Arendelle.” Thranduil smiled taking Arendelle’s hands. “My father is old he longs to join my mother in the west. With my father gone it is up to me to rule over my people. I want you to rule beside me Arendelle. To be my queen. Marry me.”

“You want this? Truly?” She asked exasperated.

“Nothing would make me happier Arendelle.” He gently caressed her cheeks and brought her mouth to his. His fingers gently reached up traced over her pointed ears. Arendelle smiled into the kiss as he pulled away.

“Then its settled.” Her smile contagious. “You will talk to my father marry in a year as tradition...”
Thranduil’s gaze dropped at this his smile faltering slightly. Arendelle noticed his deamoner change and gripped his hand again.

“What is it?”

“Our plans will not happen as soon as we hope.” Thranduil whispered “ We must go to war once more. End these dark times so we may leave in a happier light.”

Tears filled her eyes. As she could see her future building there was still a shadow that loomed over her threatening to destroy what she looked most forward to.

“I will come back” Thranduil’s words rang through her foggy brain a cool feeling encased her finger bringing her attention back to the present. Looking down Arendelle gasped at the ring. Silver vines made up the band diamonds encrusted in the leaves swirling around an opal.

“It was my mothers.”

“Thranduil I can’t accept this.” She gasped.

“A compromise. Keep it safe for me until I return then keep it as a wedding gift.”

Arendelle looked up into his steely gaze and nodded gulping away the sobs before reaching in and kissing him again.

All too soon Thranduil was completely healed along with the rest of the troops of both Greenwood and Rivendell stood clad in armor and equipped with the sharpest weapons. Arendelle watched from afar out of the way as she watched Thranduil direct his troops. Her mother stood beside her looking at the mirror image of her younger self, save for her dark features she receieved from her father. Tears were shiny in her icy eyes but she wouldn’t let them fall. Elronde appeared adorning his armor and took in his daughters state. She turned into her fathers arms and clutched at him. A few tears falling onto his armor.

“Please bring him back adar” she whispered. Elronde stroked her back gently and looked at his wife for wisdom. Celebrain tucked her golden tresses behind her ear and gave her husband a knowing look.

“All these tears and no love for your dear adar?” He whispered into his daughter’s ear a slight chuckle escaping his lips.

“I love you adar.” She whispered kissing his cheek and turning back to the troops. Thranduil was began to walk over to her. “But I love him too.”

Thranduil bowed his head in respect to her parents before he caught Arendelle as she launched herself into his arms. She buried her head into his neck fighting back the tears. She sniffed softly taking in the sweet aroma of wet earth and a masculine spice.

“I thought we said no tears.” Thranduil whispered the elvish words ticking her ear.

“I don’t want you to go how selfish of me” she returned in their native tongue.

“I don’t want to leave either my love but I do this for us” she gently pulled away and Thranduil dipped his head into hers the kiss hidden by the hood of her cloak.

Elronde cleared his throat and the two separated blushing away from her parents Arendelle hugged Thranduil once more.

“Bring my father back as well as yourself .” She whispered once more to him.
Thranduil nodded his promise and placed a soft kiss on her forehead and gave the hand adorning his mothers ring a squeeze.

Arendelle watched as her father and Thranduil mounted their horses each on a silvery steed . Thranduil taking his place next to his father, commanding their troops to take their position to march. Looking back at her once more Thranduil placed his hand over his heart and nodded at her. She offered a watery smile and watched as he left to fight the darkness that plagued the age.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please give me feedback I have inspiration for this story and only hope others will be as interested in it as I am in writing it!
Comments, subscription, and recommendations only encourage me!