Status: Not completed yet. Still needs work. But I hope you enjoy this. Please let me know what you think.

Red Death

December 13, 2041

Yeah, I know, I know. It’s a rather big jump since the last passage. But don’t freak out. I just didn’t want to bore you.
Eugene and I have been traveling together for about a week now and we’ve fallen into a pretty comfortable routine. Well, as comfortable as one might be with an Apocalypse happening around you. It was a simple gypsy life for the two of us.
Sleep, hotwire a ride (mainly a truck, car, van, or even a motorcycle), drive until we run out of gas or grew too tired to keep driving, crash at someplace for the night or day, wake up, kill a few Zombies, and repeat, repeat, repeat. Same thing every day; day in and day out, almost to the point of it being boring.
We took to spending most of our nights, or mornings, at motel rooms or garages. Once we got lucky enough to find an abandoned little farm house. It was cozy and quite quaint. We spent – what was it now? – I wanna say two days there before our presence became known to the local Zombie horde, namely Crawlers this time.
At one point we had to crash in the van we’d high-jacked. The engine blew (no surprise there since it was rolling, rusted bucket of bolts – not our first choice in vehicles but it was the only one at that time) and it was a sleepless night. All the doors were kept locked and only one window was cracked open barely an inch in order to let in some fresh air. We attempted to take turns on watch but neither of us could get to sleep.
For the most part many of our stops had running water and, thought meager, stores of food that we could raid. After that first night together, we’d given up on finding a place with running electricity. The Zombies had succeeded in knocking out any and all power grids.
Zombies: 1 – Human Race: 0.
Occasionally, Eugene would let me have a go behind the wheel. He proved to be a rather good teacher and, as it turned out, I was pretty good at driving (not that I want to brag or anything).
It was on the thirteenth, our sixth day together, that we found a small grocery store. It was infested with a handful of Creepers and a couple of Runners. Wiping them out was like clockwork; perfect and by the book. Eugene and I completed each other. We made a very good team.
Once the Zombies were dealt with, Eugene and I ransacked the dingy store for any and all food goods, which wasn’t much. By the looks of things, people had been here before us. We took what canned goods and boxed goods, that didn’t have to be cooked, that was available as well as any and all fresh fruits and veggies that were still edible. Blowing Eugene’s mind once again, I shocked him with the fact that I enjoyed eating oranges.
We stirred clear of the meat counter. The scent coming off of it could knock both buzzards and maggots off of a rotting gut wagon – those were Eugene’s colorful choice of words, not mine. After we had filled a lone cart with what scanty food was left, I decided to do another sweep of the store.
“What are you trying to find, Kiddo?” Eugene asked, leaning against the cart all nonchalant like.
He was looking at me with that crooked smile I had grown to enjoy and search for and there was a softness to his eyes that I was starting to see more of lately. It was things like this that reminded me of just how handsome Eugene was. I flashed him a grin in return and tried my best to be casual as well. I came off looking like a dork. He laughed at my childishness.
“A hairbrush.” I said with a giggle.
“Why? You tired of combing my hair for me?” He joked.
“Not really. Just thought I’d take a look.” Then I took off, “Give me two seconds!”
“You’ve got one!” Was his return call.
Needless to say, I didn’t find a brush. I didn’t even find a lousy comb. But, I did manage to find a solar powered razor for Eugene to help keep his goatee the way he liked it. I had overheard Eugene gripping the other day about how his face was feeling too hairy and how he wished he could shave. I also found a bottle of burnt autumn leaf orange colored nail polish that I thought he might like.
I pocketed the nail polish; I wanted it to be a surprise. I ran back to Eugene, grinning like a child who just received a bag of candy. He was still leaning against the cart and when he saw me, a look of relief washed over his face.
“Find what you were looking for, Kiddo?”
“Not really.” I said as I came to stand next to him.
I tossed him the unopened razor package which he caught with one hand. He eyed the packet. I was rewarded with his laugh.
“Thanks, Kiddo.” He swung one of his arms over my shoulders and kissed my cheek.
“If you keep doing that,” I teased, helping him push the cart as we headed towards the door of the building, “You might just end up with a hairball.”
He chuckled lightheartedly, “It’s a risk I’m willing to take.”
Pale late afternoon sunlight kissed our faces as we stepped outside. This was followed by a small, chilly breeze. Ever so slowly, the desert in which we’d been traveling was starting to turn into bare limbed forests and dried out grasslands. While we’d been inside, snowflakes had begun to fall.
While Eugene loaded up the trunk of the red sports car we were now driving I stood and watch the snow fall, another first for me. The sound of the trunk slamming shut brought me back to the real world. I pushed the empty cart away from us, watching it race through a near empty parking lot.
“Ready to go, Kiddo?” Eugene asked, back pressed against the closed trunk and arms folded over his chest; he was relaxed and happy.
“Almost,” With my free hand I reached into one of my many pockets, “I also got this for you.”
I slipped the bottle of nail polish into one of his hands. Surprised, he looked at it, studying the small bottle. I couldn’t read his face, his expression. I shifted my weight from one foot to the other. I suddenly felt very nervous and insecure of myself. I began to pace.
“I figured that maybe you’d like it.” I whispered, voice flustered and movements flighty, “I know it’s been hell these past few days and that the goings been rough and that the world is pretty much fucked up but I…I saw it and I…”
“Kiddo.”
I froze, “Yes?”
Eugene’s strong arms wrapped around me and he pulled me into a hug, “Just shut up for a moment.”
I wrapped my arms around him in response and pressed my cheek to his chest, feeling his heartbeat. He nuzzled his face into my hair and his grip around me tightened, holding me as close as he could without hurting me, as if I were a precious item. I felt my tears threaten to well up and fall.
“Thank you.” He whispered into my curls. I could hear that he was choked up. “Thank you, you amazing, selfless, wonderful girl.”
“It’s nothing.” I said as I tightened my hold on him and released a happy sob that was mixed with a relieved laugh.
He joined me and for several more seconds we just stood there hugging, laughing, and crying like a bunch of morons. I mean, who else do you know that would willing stand out in the open with their guards completely down and eyes closed while Zombies were hell bent on taking over the world?
But, you know what; I wouldn’t have had it any other way. The moment was unadulterated and wonderful and just...just so brilliant. It’s what we needed, wanted. And it helped to fortify our bond and promise to each other.
Eugene’s chin came up to rest on the top of my head, “Kiddo?”
I looked up at him, “Yeah?”
“Just you and me.” He said, smiling down at me.
This was our thing now. We tried to say it at least once a day to each other. It was our way of saying that everything was going to be fine and that we were going to be alright. It was our way of encouraging each other and comforting each other; our way of saying how much we meant to each other.
I gave him a wink, “Just you and me, Eugene. We’re a team.”
“And friends.” He added, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear, “Now are we ready to go, Kiddo?”
I nodded, “I think so.”
“Good,” He took a step back and handed me the keys, “If I remember right, it your turn to drive isn’t it?”
“Indeed it is.” I said excitedly and went for the driver side door.
I stuck the key in the lock and heard the telltale click as all the doors unlocked. I opened my door at the same time Eugene did. We slid in as one unit.
“Ready?” I asked, starting the car up.
“Always.” Eugene said, buckling up.
I threw the car into drive and floored it.