Status: Not completed yet. Still needs work. But I hope you enjoy this. Please let me know what you think.

Red Death

December 14, 2041

One minute, Eugene and I were safe and secure in the motel room we decide to crash for the night. We’d showered, we’d changed, we’d eaten, and then we curled up together in the motel bed. Outside, a storm was raging – you know, thunder and lighting and rain as heavy as hail (so much for the lovely snow I’d seen yesterday). Inside, we were warm and being lulled to sleep by the ever so slow burn and dancing flames of several tea light candles which, I have to admit, was cheering and very lovely.
Eugene had taken it upon himself to try and sing for me. He may not have been on key or the greatest of singers, he didn’t even know all the words to the song he’d chosen, but his warm voice was soothing, dark and rich like melted chocolate. My head rested on his chest and the blanket was draped over us to keep the chill of winter at bay. One of his strong hands, nails painted the orange I’d found, was stroking my hair and occasionally stroking my neck.
I was purring (something I tried my best to never do), feeling content and comfortable. Eugene had a way about him that made me feel at ease and almost treasured. His body radiated a pleasant heat. I nuzzled closer. His arms tighten around me.
“This is nice, Kiddo.” He whispered into my hair, breathing in my scent.
I hummed in agreement. We were just about ready to fall asleep when the lock on the door was assaulted with a shotgun blast. I sat up so fast that my head went spinning. Eugene had scrambled for the pistol he’d placed on the nightstand beside him only to slip and fall, cracking his head on the sharp corner. I could smell his blood and he gave harsh swear.
Being as I was closest to the door, I caught the full view of our assailants. From the brief glance I’d gotten, I could tell that it was a group of men. They were wearing masks over their faces. They were all big, burly, and stunk of rancid body order, blood, and even vomit.
They paused for a moment while they took in the sight of me. I made a grab for the gun when three of the five jumped me. I managed to get one shot off, placing the bullet into the chest of one man; perfect heart shot. He dropped like a stone.
“You fucking bitch!” One shouted at me.
Eugene heaved himself to his knees, a palm pressed to his bleeding temple. I could tell by his eyes that the crack he took to his skull had knocked him half silly. The two remaining men who’d been coming at me regained their composure. They had grabbed me, pulling me off the bed.
The other two men raced into the room and hauled Eugene to his feet. I screamed for him and struggled against my captures. My teeth and claws weren’t just for looks. I left several deep slashes in one of the man’s cheek and the other lost a chunk of meat in his bicep as I bit him.
My ears could hear that Eugene was also fighting. I could tell that he wasn’t doing so good. Distracted by this, the man whose face I’d clawed threw a fist into my gut. Winded, I dropped to me knees. Eugene’s shouts for me scared me. He sounded frightened.
The man that I bit grabbed a fist full of my hair and hauled me to my feet. Next thing I knew I was being tied to a chair. A hard hand fell across my face. I saw stars and blood filled my mouth.
“Don’t you touch her!” Eugene threatened.
When my eyes had managed to refocus I saw that Eugene had been strung up to the ceiling, rusted chains biting his wrists. One man had placed a metal tub of sorts under his feet and another was starting to fill it with water.
“Well, lookie here!” Sneered the man whose face I’d sliced open, “We got ourselves a good ol’ southern boy!”
“Looks to be a fucking fruitcake too.” Snarled the man standing next to Eugene, “Man’s got his nails done up as pretty as a Barbie’s!”
“Fuck you.” Eugene spit.
“Nah. I doubt he’s a faggot.” A man grabbed my hair and yanked my neck back painfully; this had pulled a cry from me. “Look at this strange, sexy beastie he’s been bedding.”
“Leave her alone, you bastards!”
One of the men struck Eugene. His bottom lip split open and more blood began to flow down his face. I struggled against my bonds.
“Why are you doing this? What do you want? Food? Clothes? Weapons?” I screamed, “Then go and take it. Leave us alone! Leave him alone!”
A nasty, crusted rag was shoved down my throat.
“We’re not here for your things, freak show. We’re just here to have a little fun.”
One of the men groped my breast and I hissed against my gag. Eugene struggled against the chains biding his arms.
“Kiddo! Don’t hurt her! Leave her alone!” Eugene pleaded, begged, screamed, “Please, don’t. Kiddo, Kiddo! Look at me! It’s going to be fine. Everything’s going to be fine!”
A fist connected with Eugene’s nose and another struck his stomach. I fought my bonds, screaming and swearing. I was acting like a rabid animal. My blood began to pound in my ears and red filled my gaze.
“And by fun,” one of the men joked, sliding his meaty hand up my thigh, “We mean that we’re going to kill you. Both – slowly.”
“So…let’s see” the biggest man looked from Eugene to me, “we got ourselves a country redneck faggot who’s fucking a strange animal girl.”
Though gagged, I too shouted ‘fuck you’. I received another smack and then I heard cloth rip. This was quickly followed by a splash of water. Looking around, I saw that they’d torn Eugene’s shirt open and doused him with water. An electrical buzz filled the air and my stomach turned to ice.
“NO!”
Despite being gagged, my scream was fully understood. My eyes went wide at the sight of the cattle prod. It was a nasty looking machine, one capable of high voltage and low current as to maximize the pain received and minimize the physical marks left on the victim’s body. I’d been on the receiving end of such a device several times; some of my creators had wanted to provoke an animalistic response from me.
“It’s alright, Kiddo.” Eugene whispered, looking at me dead in the eye. “Everything going to be fine.”
Even with his life on the line his thoughts were on calming me. One of the men stuffed a rag into Eugene’s mouth while the other pressed the prod to Eugene’s damp chest. I’ll never be able to remove those screams from my memory. Again and again, his torso was rewetted and the prod was continuously pressed against his skin.
My heart shattered.
They were hurting Eugene, my Eugene; my sweet, wonderful, lovely Eugene. The only person that I’ve ever fully cared about. One only person who’s treated me like an equal since the moment we met and not as an experiment or a freak. They were torturing him right in front of my eyes and they were laughing about it.
Anything that was human in me disappeared at that moment. I was no longer a human hybrid. I was now pure Bobcat in my mentality.
I had been backed into a corner. I had been beaten and bloodied. I had been sneered at and laughed at. Those I could take. But don’t you dare touch those that I care for, that I love.
Love…damn you, Kitty. God how you love Eugene, you stupid fool! These were that last human-like thoughts that went through me at that moment,
My animal instincts switched on and with it came a surge of adrenalin and raw strength. I pulled at the ropes and heard wood splinter. I ripped the arms of the chair clean off and tore the ropes from me. I pulled out my gag and a snarling growl, the sound of an angry Bobcat and death, licked its way up my throat.
I crouched down as all four men came at me, shouting and brandishing their weapons and fists. It was at this moment where my true colors were shown, where I mirrored the Zombies in which I was created to hunt down and kill. It was at this moment, that you could see how I was more alike to my prey then I was that of either human or Bobcat.
I used nothing but my bare hands, claws, and teeth. It was messy, it was fast, and it was horrifying. My fangs found one man’s throat and I bit down hard, tasting his tangy blood. I yanked back, feeling flesh and bone and sinew fill my mouth as he slumped, dead before he even hit the ground.
A bullet ripped through my left shoulder and I killed that man next, swiping my claws over his belly, spilling his guts on the motel floor. The pain of the bullet wound only fueled my bloodlust. Once the man with the gun was put down, the other two didn’t stand a chance. One I clawed to death and the other one…I snapped his neck as if it had been a toothpick.
For a moment I stood, breathing heavily. I was drenched in human blood, my clothes clinging to me. I caught sight of myself in the window and grew sick. I placed my hands on my knees and gagged.
“Hmidoo!” Eugene shouted against the rag in his mouth.
I lifted my head and found that I couldn’t meet his gaze. How could I after what he’d just witness me do? I ran up to him and as quickly as I could and with shaking hands I undid the chains from his wrists. Eugene ripped out the piece of cloth and I saw him reach for me.
I didn’t want him touching me. Not after what I’d just done. Not after he’d just seen me kill those men, mowed them down like they’d been nothing. I raced into the bathroom and fell to my knees by the toilet. I retched into it, spilling the contents of my stomach.
“Kiddo?” Eugene’s hands touched my shoulders and I jerked away.
“Don’t touch me!” I screamed at him, keeping my gore splattered face hidden. “Don’t touch me, Eugene! Don’t you even dare come near me!”
He grabbed ahold of me then and yanked me towards him. I fought him, struggling and striking out. I screamed and sobbed, my words incoherent. Eugene only held me close to him, allowing me to abuse his already beaten body.
“Easy, darling…shhh. Just breathe now, baby.” He whispered into my ear, “You’re alright. Everything’s alright, Kiddo.”
“Get away from me!” I cried, “Get the fuck away from me!”
He continued to shush me, saying words that I couldn’t properly hear over my rage. His hands were running themselves over every part of my body, stroking me. Lost, defeated, and spent, I curled against him and buried my face into his bare chest, staining his skin with blood and tears.
“It’s alright, baby. Hush now…you’re fine.” His lips were pressed against my hair, softly kissing my scalp. “You’re right as rain now, sweetheart. I’m here. Shh, I’m here. Everything’s fine.”
After a bit, I began to calm. At some point during my breakdown my arms had snaked themselves around Eugene’s neck and I held onto him as if my life depended on it. He was still speaking to me softly, caressing me into a quiet submission.
“Were those the first humans you’ve ever killed, Kiddo?” He asked.
I slowly nodded.
“I can see now that you were made by the same place that had created the Zombies.”
My tears began anew at these words and he whispered gently in my ear, calling me darling and running his fingers through my damp hair.
“You kill like them…the Zombies. Your eyes,” Eugene’s voice was breaking, “You had their eyes.”
“Are…are you scared of me now?” I kicked myself for asking but I needed to know; I didn’t think I could live with myself if Eugene had grown to fear me.
“Not at the moment, honey.” Eugene tucked a finger under my chin and lifted my face so that he could lock his blue eyes onto my yellow ones. The emotion I saw in them made my heart quiver. “Not at the moment. Not now…not ever. I care too much about you, Kiddo. It’s just you and me. And I’ll be damned to hell if I let you go now.”
He was crying with me. God – how much did I want to kiss away those tears. To hug away the pain. To sooth away the sorrow. Instead, I merely just shook my head and tightened my grip on him, ignoring the pain of the bullet hole in my shoulder.
“Stupid bastard.” I squeaked, sobs having turned into hiccups. “Stupid, stupid bastard!”
This made him laugh a little bit and the sound comforted me.
“I know, baby.” He continued to rub his hands up and down my body; not invading, not forceful, but soft and warm and careful. “Now…how’s about we get ourselves cleaned and patched up? Then, I say we get the hell out of this place.”
I nodded in agreement but I was damn sure not going to be the first one to move. Eugene, understanding my unspoken protest, helped me to me feet, grip tender and firm.
“Kiddo?”
“…what?”
“Thank you, sweetheart.” He whispered as his lips connected with the top of my head.
Something changed in our relationship at that moment.
With having revealed, to myself only, my true feelings about Eugene I felt closer to him than I ever had before after that night. When he would touch me a thrill would lick its way through my body, from my head to me feet. I began to seek out his hugs and I found myself giving him kisses upon his cheeks and forehead, as he so often did, and still does, to me.
‘Kiddo’ was still Eugene’s go-to name for me. But, ever so slowly he started to add in ‘hun’, ‘baby’, ‘darling’, ‘sweetheart’, and a few others. He did it so subtly that I found myself responding to them, willingly and eagerly.
I grew to love hearing him say those names to me. Occasionally, I’d find him looking at me in a way he’d never done before; in a way that would often leave me breathless and feeling warm and flushed. And when we’d go to bed, Eugene made sure that we were spooned together, his large, strong body curled against mine.
Something had changed between us and I didn’t know what it was. We never spoke about it, as if we were afraid that if we did it’d fly away like a startled bird and never return. Something had changed and, deep down, I was impatiently waiting to find out what it was.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is the last chapter I have written up for Red Death. I'll try to get the next bit up as soon as I can. Please let me know what you all think. I hope you've enjoyed this.